Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 14 Reflections

He found his brother at the far end of the battlement, gazing at the distant canopy of trees as the icy wind blew and pulled at his billowing cloak and swirls of fine snow danced and gathered about his unmoving feet. For a long moment, Tavaro remained by the doorway and studied his brother's slender form, silhouetted against the gray sky. Then with a shake of his head, he padded forward silently, feeling the bite of the wind as it whipped his hair in all directions.

Silent as he was, Legolas had heard him. He turned and watched his older brother's approach in guarded silence. Tavaro came to a stop by the other's side and stared at the distant trees, much as the younger elf had been doing.

After a long moment, he turned to his younger brother and declared, "No, I do not see anything in those trees. What are you looking for? Or are you simply admiring the scenery on this blustery day?"

Legolas turned and stared off at the distance again. "I needed to remind myself that there is a world outside the four walls of my chamber."

"You could have chosen a warmer day to do so, bratling. Now that you have assured yourself that a world still exists outside your chamber, I suggest that we return to that said chamber where I believe a certain elfling is to be resting in comforting warmth."

"Let me stay a while yet, Tavaro. I have been suffocating behind closed walls for far too long."

Tavaro studied the other through narrowed eyes. "You know Adar will have my head for condoning this."

'I will not tell if you do not," Legolas smiled faintly.

"No, but knowing Adar, he will find out in any event, and heads will roll. Mine for certain. Yours he may spare until you have fully recovered your strength," Tavaro said with an exaggerated sigh. "How did you get pass all the guards to get up here?"

Legolas' smile deepened. "I have my ways."

"Hmm, more heads will roll. Those poor unfortunate guards. I would not want to be in their place explaining to an irate King how they have allowed an elfling slip by their supposedly tight security." Tavaro regarded his brother with a bemused grin. "Well, do you suppose we should head back now before Adar sends out a full search party? Besides, the fresh air that you so desperately seek is becoming uncomfortably fresh."

Legolas gave the trees another wistful look and followed his brother's gentle tug toward the door.

Once back in his brother's chamber, Tavaro immediately set about to build up the fire in the grate.

"Come, Legolas, sit closer by the fire. You look cold."

Legolas frowned and flashed his brother an annoyed look. "Stop fussing, Tavaro. It does not become you."

Tavaro sat back on his heels and grinned up at his younger brother. "Yes, right, for a moment, I thought I was Aldeon, or worse, Adar."

Legolas could not help but laugh at his brother's words. Nevertheless, he obediently took the chair closest to the now roaring fire and was secretly grateful for its warmth.

"Tell me, little brother. How are you feeling?" Tavaro asked as he took the chair across from his brother.

Legolas shrugged. "I am nearly fully healed. I wish someone would tell Adar that. He seldom allows me out of his sight."

Tavaro laughed. "After what has happened, you will be lucky if he lets you go to the bath chamber unescorted." Seeing the expression on his brother's face, he let out a hoot of laughter. "Do not tell me. He does that now?"

Legolas flashed him another annoyed look. "No, but it is not for the lack of trying." He let out a frustrated sigh. "I was afraid this would happen. For a while, I had thought that he truly would allow me greater freedom. But now he fusses more than ever. I feel suffocated."

Tavaro studied his young brother and said gently. "Legolas, for days Adar believed that you were lost to him. I have never seen him in such helpless despair. Have you not been found, I dread to think how Adar would react to such a loss. Or how any of us can cope with such a loss, for you are more precious to this family than you can ever imagine."

A look of guilt flashed across Legolas' face. "I am sorry to have caused such fear for everybody. It pains me that you all have suffered so because of me."

Tavaro swiftly crossed to where his brother was sitting and pulled him into his arms. "It was not your fault, Legolas. We are all so grateful to have you safely back with us."

It felt good to have Tavaro's arms around him, Legolas thought as he closed his eyes, savouring the close presence of his brother. Not so long ago he would have been squirming in such an embrace, declaring himself to be too old for such coddling. An involuntary shudder went through him as he remembered the feeling of desperate aloneness while he was held captive, and burrowed himself deeper into his brother's embrace.

"What is it?" Tavaro pulled back and asked with concern.

Legolas shook his head. "Memories."

His brother studied him. "Would you like to talk about them?"

Legolas stared at the dancing flames and did not respond immediately. Tavaro sat back in his own chair and waited patiently.

"They hated me," Legolas said in a whisper, after a lengthy silence.

"Who?"

The younger elf kept his eyes on the fire. "Ambartur, and the Men. They hated me because I was the King's son. Ambartur was going to kill me should Aldeon and Feren find us before we reached the Easterlings' camp. He wanted Adar to know the pain of losing a son. And the Men," Legolas stopped on a shaky breath, and then forced himself to continue. "The leader, he enjoyed hurting me, to break my arrogance as he said it was so like Adar's. He would whip me until I cried out. I tried so hard to be brave, but I could not help myself." He closed his eyes and shuddered helplessly.

Tavaro was immediately before him, taking his brother's colds hands into his own warms ones. "He will not hurt you again. Feren killed him." It was an effort to keep the anger and horror from his voice. The thought of his little brother being so mercilessly abused made him want to scream with rage.

Legolas looked at his older brother rather helplessly. "Why do they hate Adar? Adar is a good king. Why do they hate him?"

"Adar is a good king," Tavaro said firmly. " Mirkwood stands today only because Adar has been relentless in his fight against the Shadow. Ambartur was bitter because he had lost a son in battle and he believed it to be the fault of Adar. He and the others had been under the evil influence of the Easterlings and could no longer distinguish between what was right and what was wrong. That is how the Shadow spreads its evil. It takes away trust and honour and leaves behind hatred and greed." He reached out to stroke the bright head. "Do not despair, little brother, for they are but a very small minority of Mirkwood. The majority is still fiercely loyal to Adar and will never give up the fight against this spreading evil." He frowned, and then continued. "As for the Easterlings, they are not trusted even by others of their own race. Their cruelty and treachery are well known. Ambartur and the others were beyond foolish to place trust in those despicable creatures."

Seeing the uncertainty that lingered still on the young countenance, he cupped his brother's face gently. "Did you know that we actually had to turn away warriors because so many had volunteered to join Aldeon to search for you? You are well loved among our people, bratling."

Something glittered in Legolas' eyes. "They volunteered? I thought Adar had ordered them to come."

Tavaro shook his head, smiling. "No, they all wanted to go to bring you back to safety. The ones left behind were bitterly disappointed. Their complaints are still being heard this day. And they are even more incensed by the constant boasting of bravery and fearsome fighting skills from those who were fortunate enough to have been a part of the rescue mission. And of course there is the incessant talk of the honour of rescuing the King's son, the very same one who saved Mirkwood from certain annihilation by the orcs not so long ago."

The younger elf slowly joined in the smile. "You always exaggerate so, Tavaro."

"Not this time. You may ask Aldeon and Feren for confirmation," Tavaro said, grinning. He did not mention the fact that two warriors had been lost in that rescue and he hoped that his brother would remain ignorant of such knowledge.

Unexpectedly, Legolas wrapped his arms around the older elf and pulled him into a tight embrace. "It is so good to be home again. I love you, Tavaro."

Tavaro returned the embrace with equal warmth. "I love you too, bratling."

******

Legolas awoke, feeling disoriented and confused at the apparent lateness of the day, a reaction that was not unusual for one waking from a prolonged nap to discover the day more than half-gone. Instinctively, he felt another presence in the room and turned his head. Without surprise, his half-focused eyes fell on the familiar figure of his father, sitting, as he had done so tirelessly in recent days, in the chair by the bed.

"Adar," he smiled sleepily and pulled himself into a sitting position.

"You missed the evening meal. I brought you some food," Thranduil said as he studied his son closely for any remote sign of discomfort.

"Thank you, Adar. I am sorry for missing the evening meal. I had not intended to sleep for so long."

"It is obvious that your body needs the rest. Come, eat while the food is still hot."

Legolas looked at the food and realized with some surprise that he was actually hungry. He ate quickly while his father watched, unable to keep from smiling with satisfaction at his son's returned appetite. It was gratifying to see that Legolas was at last well on his way to recovery from his ordeal.

Thranduil shuddered inwardly as he recalled those agonizing days after Legolas had been brought home, when he had watched in helplessness as his son struggled with the seemingly endless fevered nightmares and pain. He had been there each time when his son had cried out against the unseen demons that so plagued his sleep. He had held the trembling body in his arms as he spoke soothing words to calm away the fears and pain, even while his own heart silently had wept for his son's sufferings. During those difficult days, Legolas was never left alone, being constantly watched over by his brothers in turn. And Thranduil had been there day and night, with or without sleep.

Slowly, the wounds healed and the nightmares lessened as the days passed, though the King often found himself slipping into his son's room in the dark hours of the night, if only to reassure himself that his child's slumber was undisturbed by nightmares or other discomfort. Thranduil knew that his protectiveness of his youngest was once more nearing manic proportion and that Legolas would no doubt soon find it all too stifling. However, the fear of nearly losing this son was still too fresh in his mind and Thranduil found himself quite helpless to act otherwise.

"Would you like more food?" Thranduil asked as he studied the emptied tray with an irrational joy.

Legolas shook his head, smiling. "No, thank you. I cannot believe that I ate it all."

"It is good that you are eating as such. You should do so at every meal for you are far too thin."

Legolas winced. "Adar, tree branches will be breaking under my weight should I continue to indulge like this."

Thranduil smiled. "That is an unlikely scenario. How is your wound?"

"It is healed and pains me not at all," Legolas answered, glancing hopefully at his father. "I feel ready to return to the training fields."

"You will be ready when Kala declares you to be, and not before," Thranduil said sternly.

"Adar, I will never regain my strength if I continue to sit idle day after day," Legolas said with a trace of his former impatience.

Thranduil shook his head. "Legolas, this is not something that is debatable. I expect you to fully abide by Kala's orders, whatever they may be."

"Yes, Adar," Legolas said resignedly.

Thranduil studied his son, and something pulled at his heart. He stood up and moved to his son's side on the bed, his arm encircling the young elf protectively. "I am sorry, my son."

Legolas looked at his father in surprise. "It is all right, Adar. I know you are only concerned with my wellbeing."

"No, I do not mean keeping you from the training fields." Thranduil drew in a deep breath. "I am sorry for what you have gone through."

"It was no fault of yours, Adar. There is no need for you to apologize."

"Were you not my son, they would not have done what they did to you."

Legolas looked at his father with unwavering eyes. "I am proud to be your son. I would not change it for all of Arda."

Thranduil saw the conviction on the young face and nearly cringed with guilt. "You do not understand. The Easterlings demanded Mirkwood in return for your life." The King looked away from his son's guileless eyes. "I -- I was not going to give into their demands. The realm had to come first." Thranduil's proud shoulders sagged. "I had been willing to sacrifice you."

Legolas grasped his father's hand. "It was what I was praying that you would do, even when the Man was hurting me. I told him that you were a good King and that you would not sacrifice the lives of so many for one son."

Thranduil stared at his son, feeling his throat constrict with unbidden emotions. Wordlessly, he drew Legolas into his arms and hugged him desperately, his heart brimming with pride and love for his child.

At length, Thranduil released his son and broke the silence between them. "I would not have given into the demands of those vile humans, but I would have never allowed them do to you what they had threatened if there was even the remotest way that I could prevent it. You must know that, Legolas. Your brothers were told to spare nothing in their search for you and to bring death to those who had dared to harm you."

"I do know that, Adar. I would never doubt the love that you have for me. That was why I feared that you might give into the Men's demands. I did not want to be one to bring the demise of Mirkwood." Legolas paused, and swallowed painfully. "I did not fear death, but I feared what they threatened to do to me. I did not know whether I had the courage to endure what they promised to do to me. I had never felt so frightened, or so hopeless." He stopped again and drew in a ragged breath. "I prayed for death, Adar. I thought that was my only salvation. I was willing myself to die, but I also dreaded the thought of drawing my last breath among strangers."

Thranduil shuddered and once again hugged his son fiercely. "I am so sorry, my little one, for what you have gone through. I would give my life to spare you of all that suffering." He closed his eyes and drew in the scent of his child greedily. Deep in his heart, Thranduil knew that had Legolas perished in the hands of the humans, his own will to live would be lost. For how could a father ever live with the bitter knowledge that he alone could have prevented his son's death, but had not done so?

"What will happen to the settlement elves and their elders?" Legolas asked softly.

Thranduil reluctantly released his hold on his son. "The elders have been forever banished from all elven realms and will be scorned by all those they encounter as traitors to their own kind. The settlement elves will be brought back here where they will live under the disdainful eyes of our people. I only regret that those who had direct involvement in your ordeal are dead and beyond punishment." Thranduil's eyes had hardened perceptibly as he spoke.

Legolas stared down at his own hands, frowning.

Thranduil saw the knitted brows and said gently. "For what they have put you through, no punishment will ever be sufficient."

Legolas shook his head. "I am not thinking of punishment. I merely have difficulty making sense of all that has happened." He looked up at his father, the young face uncertain and troubled. "Would you have sent troops to rescue Ambartur's son had he so requested?"

"If he had not been dealing with the Easterlings, his son would not have been in such a predicament in the first place." Thranduil's voice was cool. "But yes, I would have sent troops to rescue his son for I am responsible for all my subjects, regardless of their errant ways. But he would not be spared of punishment afterwards for what he had done."

"He was not kind to me, but he loved his son," Legolas said quietly, remembering the look on Ambartur's face as he held his son in his arms. The same look had been on his father's face when they had first reunited after he was rescued.

Thranduil let out a long breath. "He may have loved his son, but what he did was undoubtedly wrong and totally unforgivable. One can love his offspring without having to put another's life in danger. And in Ambartur's case, his misguided beliefs resulted in far too many deaths. What virtue he may have had as a father could not even begin to outweigh the amount of innocent blood spilled, including those of his own sons. I cannot find it in my heart to sympathize with one such as him."

Thranduil studied his son's distraught face and drew the younger elf into his arms once again. "Legolas, you have been through much these past weeks. I wish with all my heart that you could be spared of all that you went through, but we cannot change what has passed, nor can we wipe it from our memory. We can only try to continue on and not let those dark memories draw us into total despair. It will not be easy, my son, but we must also be mindful of the mercies that fate has shown us, not the least of which is that you have been returned safely to us. For that alone, I will be forever grateful and dare not ask for more."

Legolas burrowed deeper into the warm security of his father's embrace. "I am grateful too, Adar, to be alive, to be home again. I had thought that I would never see you or Aldeon, Feren and Tavaro again, and that was more painful than I could ever imagine. I never want to feel so alone again for as long as I live."

Thranduil closed his eyes and tightened his hold on his son. "You will never be alone, little one, for our love will always be with you. Always."


THE END.

A/N: Well, this is the end to my second story. I hope you have enjoyed it. I would like to thank all those who came along for the ride, and especially those who took the time to send in reviews. They are greatly appreciated. I must also apologize for all the typos and grammatical errors that I am sure are rampant in these stories. English is not my first language and I am still learning, so thank you for bearing with me.






<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List