Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 11 At the Settlement

With the wounded among them, it was decided that a brief sojourn at the settlement would be a more pragmatic option than to journey directly back to the palace. There was also the issue of the settlement elders and the fate of the settlement elves themselves. Thranduil had ordered that the elders be brought back to the palace to answer to justice, but no decision had been made as yet concerning the elves at the settlement. Aldeon had suggested, and Feren had concurred, that a detachment of troops should remain stationed at the settlement until such time that their fate was decided by the King. The remaining troops, once rested, would return to the palace, bringing with them the prisoners and the King's youngest son.

It was late afternoon when the weary warriors rode into the settlement, bearing the wounded and the bodies of six elves. For four of these elves, this was their last journey to the place where they had been born and lived. It was not the homecoming that had been anticipated, and sullen eyes followed the procession in muted silence, the air thick with grief, resignation and at times, stark hostility. Regardless of the decision of the King, this settlement was already lost to him.

The two brothers made their way silently to where the elders of the settlement were held under guard. Their task ahead was not to be a pleasant one. How was one to tell a father that his sons were now dead, and that his two remaining grandsons were no longer among the living? However much disdain they may hold for Yulion, neither Aldeon nor Feren could find comfort in the fact Yulion was about to receive the greatest punishment that was possible for his traitorous dealings with the Easterlings. To lose a loved one was to lose a part of one's soul, the pain forever etched into the heart, perhaps fading over time, but never forgotten. Aldeon and Feren had known such pain when their naneth was so brutally taken from the world of living, and had to nearly endure it again in recent weeks when fate had threatened twice to take their young brother away as well. Thus, it was with heavy hearts that they entered the cottage where the elders were held.

Their entrance barely merited a glance from the five elves, who continued to speak quietly amongst themselves as if they had not been interrupted at all. Though the two brothers were not ones to expect preferential treatment due to them as the deemed heir of the King and the commander of the King's troops, neither were they accustomed to such blatant discourtesy from their own kind.

In as neutral a voice as he could manage, Aldeon spoke up. "Yulion, we have news for you."

"Unless it concerns my sons, I do not need to hear anything from you," the older elf said coolly.

"It concerns your sons, and grandsons. They are dead."

The other elf instantly sprang to his feet with a nimbleness that belied his years. "You lie!"

"I do not," Aldeon said firmly. "Their bodies lie outside. My men are preparing the funeral pyres even as we speak."

'"You have killed them!" The older elf made a move as to lunge forward.

Feren stepped in quickly. "You will stay where you are or I will be forced to call in the guards to restrain you. We have not killed your sons. Their deaths were brought on by the Easterlings, the same Men with whom you have conspired to bring down Mirkwood."

"I do not believe you! The Men would not have killed my sons and my grandsons! This is a lie that you have concocted in order to turn us against them. The humans would not disrupt the peaceful harmony that has developed over the years between us. You have killed my sons and grandsons and you try now to place the blame on them."

"Ambartur and your two grandsons were killed by the very Men from whom they had requested aid. Your other son, Manveru, was killed by the humans when we broke into the Easterlings' camp to rescue my brother and to avenge the deaths of your son and grandsons," Aldeon said, anger edging his voice.

"No! Why should I believe a word that you say? You have condemned us all as traitors and no doubt it will please you to see the destruction of this settlement."

"You old fool!" Feren said with unrestrained exasperation. "You need not believe our words, but you can go see for yourself the wounds that have killed your sons and grandsons and determine whether they are wounds inflicted by elven weapons or those of Men. Can you not see even now how your collusion with Men has brought nothing but death and pain? Can you not see how your twisted aspiration to bring down the King with the aid of Men has robbed you of all that you hold dear to your heart?"

The older elf stiffened at the words. "I will see my sons and grandsons."

"Very well. You will be allowed to preside over the funeral of your loved ones, but you will remain under guard at all times. Because of what you and your sons have done, two of my warriors are now dead. The other warriors do not look kindly upon the death of their comrades. Do not give them the excuse to cause you harm, for they will not hesitate to bring you down should you try anything foolish." Feren eyed the older elf coldly.

He turned and led the way out, followed by the five elders, while Aldeon brought up the rear. Outside, they were joined by the two guards who had been posted at the door. In silence, the group made their way toward the four blanketed bundles that laid in the shadow of the funeral pyres. The settlement elves had gathered loosely in the central clearing, watching the procession pass through in impassive silence.

Upon his first sight of the still forms of his loved ones, with the light of life forever smothered from their eyes, Yulion's arrogance at last broke. He crumpled to the ground like a broken doll, his shaking hands touching each lifeless body in turn as tears spilled heedlessly down whitened cheeks. The other four elves knelt as well, and bowed their heads in wordless grief. From behind, the former impassivity of the settlement elves was broken now and then by small sounds of anguish.

Aldeon let out an inaudible sigh and glanced at his brother, seeing a mirror of his own mixed emotions on the latter's face. The anger was certainly still very much at the forefront, yet there was also unmistakable sorrow over such a futile loss of immortal lives. Had the Shadow gained so much ground that elves were now pitted against their own kind? How deep was this poison that it should nullify the bond of trust that once united the elves of the woodland kingdom? Aldeon realized that he feared the answers as much as the questions themselves.

The flames ignited and leapt high into the night sky. A lone elvish voice rose in a haunting and melancholic strain, bidding the departing souls a final farewell. Fathers and sons were not to meet again in this world.

Feren nodded briefly at his second in command who quickly eased his way to his side.
"Lord Aldeon and I must tend to our brother. Ensure that the elders are taken back and kept under guard. Increase the patrol for the night. I do not anticipate trouble, but one cannot be certain after a funeral such as this. Tell the men to be on guard. I do not want more blood to spill this night, or at all."

The warrior nodded solemnly. "I will ensure that this night passes peacefully."

"Alert Lord Aldeon and myself should there be the first sign of trouble." Feren acknowledged the parting salute and turned to touch his brother briefly on the shoulder. "We should return to Legolas."

Aldeon cast one more look at the still burning pyres before following his brother from the central clearing. There had been far too many such burnings in recent memory. There was a time that such a sight was unseen within these woods, when immortality had been untouchable. Those times were now an eternity away.

****
"How is he?" Aldeon asked as he stared down at the pale form of his brother with a frown. Legolas laid on his side, bared except for a sheet pulled up to his slim hips. His back had been too raw to withstand any type of covering. At least his bandaged side showed no more signs of seepage.

"The fever makes him restless, but he has not awaken," Hesin answered. "Perhaps we should send for the healer."

Feren shook his head. "No, I do not trust the elves of this settlement. We will have to tend to him the best that we can."

"Lord Feren is right," Aldeon concurred. "We are not welcomed here. I will not have him exposed to undue risk." He turned to the other warrior. "Thank you, Hesin, for caring for him. We will tend to him now. Go and rest."

"I can assist still," Hesin protested.

Aldeon grasped his shoulder briefly. "You have ridden with little rest the past days. Go, your weariness shows."

"Yours too, my lord," Hesin pointed out.

Aldeon looked down at the prone form of his young brother and shook his head. "I am fine. Go and join the others who are resting now."

Reluctantly Hesin left. Aldeon reached forward and touched Legolas' face gently.

"Hesin is right, you know. You do look weary, Aldeon. Go and rest. I will tend to Legolas," Feren spoke up gently.

"I am tired, but I do not think that I can sleep. We need to put more salve on his back."

"I will do it. You keep a hand on him in case he moves," Feren said as he settled onto the bed behind his brother. Pursing his lips into a hard line, he began to apply the healing salve onto the torn back, keeping his touch as light as a moth's. Some of the welts were already beginning to close, but the deeper ones continued to seep traces of blood and looked painful beyond words. He felt anger welling within him once more at the mindless cruelty behind such a whipping. He wondered what other barbarity had been inflicted on his brother while he was held captive of the Easterlings.

Under his gentle ministrations, Legolas moaned and shifted fractionally. Feren stopped immediately, in fear of causing further pain to his brother.

"Legolas?" Aldeon called out softly, as he stroked the golden hair that was now cleansed of blood and combed free of tangles. "Legolas, can you hear me?"

Legolas moaned again and the thick lashes fluttered open. "Aldeon?"

"Yes, and Feren too. How do you feel?"

Legolas closed his eyes. "Hurts."

"Can you lift up a bit and drink some water?" Aldeon eased a hand under his brother's neck and raised him gently. Legolas' brows creased in pain as he was moved, but drank the water that Aldeon held out to him.

Feren made his way to the front of the bed and knelt down. "Hello, Legolas, you have given us quite a scare."

Suddenly, the blue eyes sprang open and Legolas looked about him frantically. "The Men--"

Aldeon quickly took hold of one of his hands and held it tightly while the other continued to stroke the bright head. "It is all right, Legolas. You are safe. The Men have been disposed of and can no longer harm you. You are safe now."

"Where are we?" Legolas asked, the fear not yet completely gone from his face.

"We are at the settlement,"

"Settlement?"

Aldeon glanced briefly at Feren before answering. "The elves who took you were from this settlement."

"Ambartur and Meldon?" A tremble went through Legolas' slender frame. "Are they here too?"

Aldeon shook his head. "They are dead. The Men killed them."

The shock, for all Legolas' weakness, was palpable. "Killed them? And the other elf, the one that I was -- exchanged for?"

"He is dead as well, also killed by the Men."

"Killed? I thought the Men were to help them?"

"No, the Men never intended to help them. They were used, and then discarded when their usefulness ran its course." Aldeon could feel the trembles running through his young brother's body. "Think of it no more, Legolas. You are safe now and that is all that matters. Once you are rested, we will go home to Adar."

"When? Tomorrow?"

Aldeon shook his head. "Your injuries are many, and you burn with fever still. We should stay here until you are stronger. Travel in your state now will not be wise."

Legolas shook his head weakly. "No, I want to leave tomorrow. I do not wish to stay here any longer. I want to go home."

Aldeon touched the heated skin of his face gently. "We will leave as soon as you are stronger. I have sent word to Adar. He knows you are safe with us."

"Please, Aldeon. I do not want to stay here. I can travel, truly I can," Legolas pleaded, the weak voice edged with fear.

Aldeon glanced at Feren, who gave a slight shrug of the shoulders. Aldeon turned his eyes back to his younger brother, feeling his heart tightened at the unmasked fear that marred the young features. It had always been difficult to say no to Legolas.

"All right, we will leave tomorrow. Our journey will be slow and you will let us know if it becomes too difficult for you."

Legolas closed his eyes in weariness. "Thank you, Aldeon."

Aldeon bent down and kissed the feverish forehead. "Sleep, Legolas."

The hot fingers tightened their grip fractionally. "Do not leave me."

"We will both be here when you awake." Aldeon caressed the bruised cheek gently. "You are safe, Legolas."

Feren sat back onto a chair, a frown marring his handsome features as he stared at his now sleeping brother. "I have never seen him show so much fear."

Aldeon let out a long breath and shifted his position slightly on the bed, his hand still imprisoned by his young brother even in sleep. "He has been like this since we rescued him from the Men camp. The first time he awoke, it was even more heart-rending. I cannot imagine what he has gone through these past days."

Feren narrowed his eyes. "I only wish that I did not kill the humans so quickly. They did not deserve such a swift death."

Aldeon threw him a glance and leaned back wearily against the wall. "I wish I had the opportunity to spill their blood, as you did."

The two brothers looked at each other and a reluctant smile broke across their tired faces.

"If Tavaro was here, he would sure to say that such blood thirst does not become Mirkwood Royalty," Aldeon said, feeling a measure of cheer for the first time in many days.

"If Tavaro was here, he would be chasing after the few that I had allowed to escape to spill more blood," Feren said dryly. "And Adar would be right along side of him."

Aldeon raised one brow. "Adar may very well do that yet. We should both rest if we are to move out tomorrow. I must admit, I too want nothing more than to return home."

Feren nodded in acquiesce. "I feel the same way. These have been trying days."

"I fear that more await us. The evils of the Shadow are relentless."

Feren frowned. "We will hold them back. Our warriors too are relentless. Mirkwood will not fall."

Aldeon smiled tiredly, hoping with all his heart that his brother's words would hold true and that the time of the woodland elves was not nearing an end.


TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List