Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 6 – In Pursuit

For almost two days now, they had painstakingly followed the tracks of Legolas and his captors. Captors. Legolas was no longer held by Meldon alone. Aldeon fervently hoped that the third member was one of the two known rogue scouts, and not someone else who was a party to the treachery, someone whose identity that had so far escaped their discovery. What they had found along the way so far had not been encouraging. In fact, Aldeon now deeply feared for the life of his brother.

Their quarries were no longer on foot but were riding swiftly through the now thinning woods. Among the hoof prints were droplets of blood. Though the droplets were miniscule and few in number, the discovery of each crimson spot tightened the fear around Aldeon’s heart like an unwanted and hope-depriving noose. Further along, they had found a patch of blood where a scuffle had obviously taken place. More disturbing, however, were the strands of gold hair, ominously tinged with red, that were also recovered from the same site. With the exception of the King and his youngest son, fair hair was rarely seen among the elves of Mirkwood.

Anger vied with fear as Aldeon urged his horse forward. They had hurt his brother. It was not sufficient that they had taken him prisoner, but they had dared to hurt him. In Aldeon’s mind, the fate of the traitors was sealed. He cared not now whether the traitorous elves would ever be brought back to the palace alive to face justice. Indeed, he would kill the rogues with his bare hands if they would but show themselves before him now.

The wooded areas were behind them now as the landscape changed to one of barren rock interspersed with patches of grass. In one direction, the ground rose sharply to a rising wall of rocky outcrops with hidden crevices and deep hollows etched into the stony surfaces, creating a series of shallow caves. The creatures of Shadow had often hidden and attacked from these rocky hills, but at the moment, all seemed quiet and absent of malice.

With so much of the ground covered by rocky outcrops, any tracks left by Legolas and his captors would be difficult, if not impossible, to trace. Aldeon sent several of his warriors ahead to search the barren land for clues of the direction that their quarry had taken. His eyes swept the rocky hills time and time again.

"Do you think they are hidden in the hills, my lord?" Hesin asked quietly beside him.

"I do not know," Aldeon admitted.

"They have left no indication that they rested along the way. And if the young prince is injured, they may need to rest. Perhaps we should search the hills."

Aldeon shook his head. "I doubt that they would have the well-being of Legolas in mind at all. Their pace has been very fast. It would seem that they are in a hurry to get to somewhere. They would not tarry to allow Legolas rest." Aldeon gestured to the barren grounds before them. "That is the direction to their settlement. It is my guess that they will more likely head directly to their settlement."

"But Lord Feren and his troops are watching over the settlement. They would not be so foolish as to ride straight into their own capture."

"They do not know that Lord Feren is there. My brothers had ridden out on their last patrol on the pretense that they were tracking down advancing spiders when in fact they were seeking out the ones who had betrayed Mirkwood," Aldeon explained.

Hesin nodded. "Then it would make sense that they should now ride to the settlement. What I do not understand though is why have they taken the young prince? For what purpose will that serve other than to prove to all that they are in fact guilty of treachery against their own kind?"

"Perhaps they intend to use Legolas as a means to force the King to submit to whatever foul scheme they are plotting. I suspect they will eventually send word to the King as to the truth of their desires, in one way or another." Aldeon’s face was grim.

"We will rescue the young prince from the traitors before their treacherous schemes can be put into place," Hesin said resolutely.

"I hope you are right," Aldeon said. "For I fear we are running out of time even as we speak."

At this moment, they were approached by one of the warriors who had ridden ahead to check for tracks.

"My lord, we have found signs up ahead of horses passing through this way," the elf reported. "They appear to be recent tracks."

Aldeon nodded. "Lead the way, and we will follow."

"You are correct, my lord, for it appears that they are heading for the settlement," Hesin said as he remounted his own horse.

"Manveru and Ambartur are skilled scouts. It surprises me that they should leave so blatant a trail for us to follow," Aldeon said, voicing the doubt that had been plaguing his mind for some time now.

"Perhaps they do not know that we are on their trail. After all, they have no way of knowing that their treachery has come to light," Hesin offered as they urged their horses forward.

"I hope you are right," Aldeon nodded, though he did not feel completely reassured.

Hours later in their pursuit, the sparse tracks left by their quarry completely disappeared. Aldeon brought the troops to a halt and studied the line of tress that loomed ahead, beyond which was the settlement.

"Perhaps they took to the trees," Hesin offered, though his own voice sounded doubtful.

"If Legolas is injured, it will be difficult for them to take the route of the trees." Aldeon pursed his lips and made his decision. "We will head to the settlement. Heighten your senses for I do not know whether Lord Feren has taken complete control of the settlement yet. We may be greeted by either ally or foe when we go through these woods."

Scarcely had they entered the woods before two elves dropped before them from the trees. Aldeon immediately recognized them to be of Feren’s patrol. Relief flooded through him. His brother was in control of the settlement then.

"Greetings, Lord Aldeon," the elves saluted.

Aldeon returned the salute. "Lord Feren is at the settlement?"

One of the elves nodded. "Yes. He has placed guards throughout these woods to ensure the identity of everyone who approaches. No one has been allowed to leave the settlement."

"All right, return to your posts. We will make our own way to Lord Feren. Signal to the others of our approach," Aldeon ordered. He had wanted to inquire the elves of the situation at the settlement, but decided that he would wait to speak directly with Feren. He held a glimmer of hope yet that he may find Legolas alive and well with his other brother.

The settlement was a relatively small one, no more than a handful of cottages built upon a clearing surrounded by the woods. Aldeon took note of members of his brother’s patrol stationed strategically throughout the settlement. Of the settlement elves themselves, few were to be seen, and those few watched the procession of the newly arrived warriors in sullen silence. Though there was no open hostility, Aldeon could detect no sense of welcome either. It was disconcerting to be greeted with such impassivity by their own kind.

Leaving his troops behind, Aldeon was led by another elf to one of the cottages, which appeared to be a central place of gathering from which the elders directed the affairs of the settlement. There he found Feren conversing with another warrior. At his entry, his brother looked up, his face lit up with surprise.

"Aldeon." He came forward quickly and the two brothers embraced. The other elves left the two princes, closing the door behind them discreetly.

"I must admit to be surprised to see you here, Aldeon," Feren said. "I had expected Tavaro to return with word from Adar."

Though he already knew the answer, Aldeon could not help but ask, fear edging his voice. "Is Legolas here?"

"Legolas?" the other asked blankly. "No, why should he be here?" The fear in his brother’s voice had communicated itself to him. He gripped Aldeon by the shoulder. "What has happened?"

"They have Legolas," Aldeon answered almost resignedly.

"Who? Who has Legolas? Is Legolas not recovering still at the palace?"

Aldeon shook his head. "He was last seen leaving the palace with Meldon, the son of Ambartur."

Feren fell back a step, his face sharp with fear and concern. "Ambartur’s son? But I sent Tavaro with the message to Adar of Ambartur and Manveru’s treachery Did he not deliver it?"

"Aye, he did, but we had not known Legolas to be in the company of Meldon until it was too late. I have been in pursuit of Legolas and his captors for three days now. We lost their tracks just before we reached these woods. I had hoped that the traitors would have brought Legolas to the settlement here." Suddenly, Aldeon felt all the weariness of the last three days’ pursuit.

"Sit down, Aldeon. You are weary. I shall order food and drink for you," Feren said as he pressed his older brother onto the nearest chair.

"The warriors who have accompanied me have also ridden without rest. Please make arrangements to tend to their needs as well," Aldeon said.

Feren nodded, "I will ensure that they are provided for. Rest, Aldeon. I will be back as soon as I can."

True to his word, Feren returned minutes later with food and wine for his brother. There were many questions that he had for Aldeon, but he forced himself to remain silent as his older brother took in the much needed food and drink. The traitors have Legolas. The thought churned relentlessly over and over in his mind, along with countless questions of how and why. Feren forced himself to remain still even though every muscle in him screamed for action, to leave immediately in search of his young brother, to bring him back to safety. Years of commanding troops had taught him that to rush out without proper planning was pure folly. And yet he could little control the insistent voice that rang again and again through his mind. His little brother was in danger.

Knowing that his brother must be more than anxious to be told of what had taken place, Aldeon had barely swallowed the last of his food when he began to tell Feren all that he knew. At the end, the two brothers sat in grim silence as each contemplated in his own mind all that had taken place.

"Where have they taken Legolas? And what do they want with him?" Feren asked, more to himself than to expect answers.

"They must have discovered that the settlement is under scrutiny and are in hiding somewhere. As to what they want to do with Legolas, it is my guess that they will use Legolas as leverage to compel Adar to comply with their demands," Aldeon said.

"Fools!" Feren said angrily. "Do they not know by now that their king is not one to be persuaded by treachery?"

"They hold Legolas," Aldeon reminded gently. "All of Mirkwood knows of the King’s devotion to his youngest."

"Then they are all the more the fools to risk the wrath of the King should they harm Legolas."

"They have already harmed him," Aldeon said in a tight voice. "Have you found out any more information from the elves of the settlement? The elders must know why Legolas was taken and where he may be held. We must question them."

Feren nodded grimly. "That is our only option at the moment for it would be folly for us to go out and search blindly for Legolas. Come, Aldeon. I will take you to where the elders are being kept under guard. I had intended to take them all back to the palace for disposition by Adar."

Aldeon nodded. "That is what Adar had ordered."

"Prepare yourself, Aldeon. Yulion is an arrogant old fool and the others seem to have no mind of their own," Feren warned as he led the way to another cottage.

His brother smiled wryly. "Tavaro and Adar have said as much about Yulion. His arrogance may work to our advantage."

"If we could resist from throttling him first," Feren said grimly.

xxxx

"So they have your brother, "Yulion said, regarding the two princes before him with a certain amount of satisfaction. "Then there is hope."

"Hope for what?" Feren demanded.

"Hope for our settlement, and for Mirkwood," the older elf said with disdain.

"Explain yourself," Aldeon said in a quiet though commanding voice.

"You and your king shall find out all soon enough," Yulion said.

"Allow me to remind you that Thranduil is the King of all woodland elves, such as yourself," Feren said, glaring at the other elf.

Yulion snorted most disagreeably. "King of all woodland elves? What has he done for Mirkwood? What has he done for settlements such as ours? We fend for ourselves, with no help from the King whatsoever. The Shadow threatens us, but we are left to fight the evil on our own. Where was the King when our children were taken and killed by the forces of the Shadow? Where was the King when our land was trampled and destroyed by the dark creatures?"

"The King has sent patrols through this part of Mirkwood on many occasions," Feren pointed out. "And yet we have heard no charges of these threats that you speak of."

"Bah! Occasional patrols are not enough! We need warriors stationed here on a permanent basis if we are to be sufficiently protected," Yulion countered.

Aldeon placed a restraining hand on his brother’s shoulder. "Yulion, you may take up these charges with the King when we return to the palace, but right now, you need to tell us where your sons have taken my brother and what they intend to do with him."

"You will not be taking us back to the palace," Yulion said with confidence. "Thranduil is no longer our king. Others will come to our aid."

Aldeon regarded him in silence before turning his eyes to the other four elves sitting with Yulion. "Does he speak for all of you? He has just admitted to being a traitor to our King and will be dealt with as such. You must speak up now or be considered in collusion with him."

"I speak for them all," Yulion said firmly. "And we are not traitors." He turned to his fellow elves. "Do not listen or fear him for we are no longer under Thranduil’s control. Soon we will be free of them."

"Who will free you?" Feren demanded.

"Men, the Easterlings. They will come to our aid once your brother is delivered into their hands," Yulion said and watched with satisfaction as Aldeon and Feren looked at each in fear.

"Your sons mean to deliver Legolas to the Easterlings?" Aldeon asked, quite unable to control the quiver of fear in his voice.

"It is one way to ensure that Thranduil will do as we bid if his son’s life is at stake. The Easterlings have assured us that your brother’s life will not be harmed if Thranduil gives up the reign of Mirkwood quietly and without fight. They will help us build a new Mirkwood, one that is free from the Shadow and its evils."

Feren looked at the other elf incredulously." You would take the word of Men?
You would bring down your own king in conspiracy with the Easterlings? You are a bigger fool than I thought possible. Without the King, Mirkwood would be no more. How can you possibly imagine the Easterlings will allow the continued existence of elves once they gain control of Mirkwood? If the Easterlings take control of Mirkwood, you will be enslaved at best, and at worse, you will be obliterated, along with all your fellow elves."

"You are wrong!" Yulion protested. "Men have been our allies in the past and have come to our aid when the King refused to provide us with protection. We have co-existed with Men like this for years. They will not turn against us."

"They will turn against you once they have achieved what they want, and that is the control of Mirkwood. You must come to your senses before it is all too late. Tell us where your sons have taken Legolas," Aldeon spoke up, forcing himself to sound no more than reasonable.

"All I know is that they will take your brother to the Easterlings. Where, I do not know and even if I do, I will not tell you."

It took all of Feren’s willpower not to cleave the elf before him into halves with his knife. Yulion must be speaking the truth, for he was far too arrogant not to be. Through the haze of his anger, he heard Aldeon speaking to the elders.

"You have all admitted to the betrayal of the King and you will be treated as traitors. You will be taken back to the palace and tried for what you have done. Expect no mercy from the King or from your fellow elves. What you have done is totally unforgivable for you have put all lives of Mirkwood at risk. Think, while you are able, of all the lives that will be brought down should this despicable ploy of yours succeeds. Think and see if you can live with such consequences." Aldeon regarded them with total loathing and disdain. "I doubt that even in death, your souls will ever be cleansed of the blood that will be spilled." He turned to his brother. "Come, Feren. Let us leave these treacherous creatures for I feel soiled just breathing in the same air as they do."

Once outside, Feren seemed totally deflated by the magnitude of what they now know. "What shall we do, Aldeon?"

"We must send word to Adar and inform him of what is happening. He will need to prepare, for I fear the Easterlings’ ultimate goal is the annihilation of Mirkwood. You and I will ride out after Legolas."

"But we have no idea where Legolas is being held or where he is being taken to," Feren said rather hopelessly.

"We will ride east toward the Men’s stronghold beyond the borders of Mirkwood. That will be where the traitors will be taking Legolas. If we hurry, we may be able to intercept them before Legolas falls into the Men’s hands. Leave sufficient warriors behind to guard the settlement and gather together the remainder and prepare to ride out. I will send someone with the message to Adar."

Feren nodded, grateful for the steady presence of his older brother, and the other’s decisiveness in the need of action. He hurried through the settlement, anxious to find his second-in-command to issue the order for moving out. Legolas, we are coming. Please hold on, little brother. We are coming.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List