Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Eight - Exceeding Sam

Gelly and Tilby sat on the floor inside their auntie and uncle’s apartment playing with the marbles they had received as Uncle Pippin’s birthday gift. “Uncle Pippin, will you play with us?” asked Gelly.

Pippin still had a few gifts to hand out to his close friends and family, but decided that his young nephews were more important. It was the twelfth of Astron; Pippin’s birthday. “I think I can manage a few minutes of marbles, Gel.”

Pippin felt more than just the weight of his own pending fatherhood--these little boys were without their own father, so the tween took it upon himself to act in his late brother-in-law’s stead. Pippin sat on the floor between the lads, setting up the game. As they began playing, Pippin found that he had lost his “touch” with the game. Marbles flew everywhere whenever it was his turn. Only Tilby played worse than he did. Pippin blushed when his marble sailed out of the ring and hit his father. “My thumb must have grown too big,” he said in apology.

“Wait, Uncle Pippin,” said Gelly, then proceeded to count the colorful orbs around the game-ring they had made using a bit of Lilas’ yarn. He cocked an eye towards Pippin. “One of the marbles is missing--do you have it, Uncle?”

“No,” replied Pippin, looking a bit hurt. “Why do you always suspect me when something goes wrong while we play games?”

Gelly answered, “Because when you were teaching me to play checkers--”

Without warning, Pimpernel shot out of her chair then took her younger boy up by the collar, holding her palm just in front of his mouth. “Spit it out, Tilby! Now!”

Slowly, the three-year-old let out from his mouth the missing marble amid a glob of saliva. “Tilby’s mawble.”

Gelly, the experienced marble player clucked his tongue at his little brother, “They’re for playing with, Tilby--not eating!”

Pim handed the marble and all to her brother, “You have to watch him like a hawk, Pip.”

Pippin instantly understood that the situation could have ended up much worse. “I see that,” he said, taking out his pocket handkerchief. ‘Watch him like a hawk’…he committed his sister’s words to memory. He would have to remember them as his own child grew out of infancy and into a faunt. Young Tilby was almost three and a half, but undoubtedly still liked to taste-test certain objects. “Gelly, can we play another time? There is too much going on right now for me to try and surpass your skills and make sure Tilby doesn’t eat our game.”

The young lad looked from uncle to mother, “Can we play tomorrow?”

Pimpernel picked up her younger son to keep him from eating anymore marbles. “Yes, but we’ll have to make certain we feed your little brother first,” she said. “Pick up your toys, Gel--we need to head back to our own rooms. At present, the baby needs to be fed.”

Pippin escorted his sister to the door, “You are coming back, aren’t you?”

“Of course!” Pim replied, “But I’m afraid Hilly doesn’t understand the passage of time when he nurses, so I can’t say exactly when. But don’t wait for me; timing is everything in this instance, Pip.” She smiled, and kissed his cheek. “Happy birthday, little brother!”

Pippin leaned down to purposely kiss the top of her head. He knew the point wouldn’t be lost on his elder sister. “Thank you for coming--I hope he eats fast.”

When Pippin returned to his guests, he heard his mother call to him. “Shall we have dessert now, son?” Pippin grinned to see the noticeable twinkle in her eyes. “Well, I suppose I’ll let Lilas have a bit of cake,” he answered teasingly.

Lilas playfully threw a ball of yarn at her husband, “Ye’ll let me? Please! Never stand between a pregnant hobbit and her dessert.”

Pippin mumbled, “Never stand between a pregnant hobbit and food, period!”

“I heard that, Pippin Took!” Lilas tried to rise up from the chair she sat in, but fell back into it twice. Merry stood nearby and tried to assist her. She pulled him back down with her. Poor Lilas was scarlet with embarrassment. Pippin stood to one side of her while Merry stood on her other side, making yet another attempt to assist her. Pippin counted, “On three; one, two…three!” He and Merry tugged with all their might, but between their laughter and Lilas’ protesting, they barely got the lass to her feet. Then Pippin saw her wounded expression. He stepped in and gave her hug, though he had to stand to one side while doing so since her tummy was getting larger by the week.

Everyone found a seat in which to enjoy their dessert; Pippin and Lilas’ small eating table sat four at the most, but anticipating the small intimate crowd, Pippin had other chairs brought in so they could at least sit near each other. He handed out the remaining gifts then while they were opening them, he busied himself with slicing and serving his birthday cake.

Lilas salivated when she saw her husband give her a very large piece of cake. “Are ye havin’ another jest, Pippin? Are ye sayin’ that I need large servings?” She could hear him cackling as he sat down.

“This is delicious cake, Pippin,” said Estella. “I love how you baked strawberries into it.”

Pippin blushed, “That was Lilas’ touch.”

Paladin took a swallow of his tea, “The cake is indeed very delicious!”

On the chatter went--his guests finally eating their dessert, or thanking him for the presents they received. Suddenly they all stopped, eyes riveted on the young hobbit lass gasping in surprise. Lilas held up a delicate, golden necklace with a gold tear-drop charm attached to it. She looked at Pippin, tears welling in her eyes. She reached over as best as her tummy would allow to hug him, but Pippin met her half way. Everyone at the table was smiling at the young tweens. “Thank you, Pippin!” she whispered into his ear.

Pippin let her loose, saying, “Finish your cake, Lilas.”

After another moment, she cried out, “A bracelet to match!” she announced, setting down her fork that held a bite of the sweet dessert.

On that note, Pippin got down on one knee. A couple of weeks ago when he and Merry were planning this, Pippin was hesitant to perform this wonderful, but awkward task. But his closest, and dearest friend convinced him that this not only was the right thing to do, but this would be something that Lilas would cherish in her heart forever--regardless of present circumstances. In Pippin’s mind, he and Lilas were already married for one, and two, he was still unsure of where is heart lay. He did not want to perform a play-act for his family. He wanted it to be sincere. Pippin wanted it to be special for Lilas--he did love her that much. Then again, as he thought more about his circumstances…marriage was for life; he may as well enjoy as much of it as he could.

As he knelt before his obvious life-long partner-to-be, he took her hands in his own. Merry was right, he thought to himself. He kissed her hand, overcome with emotion, seeing the tears of joy in her eyes that brought tears to his own. “Lilas Took,” he paused, wiping his eyes. “You are the mother of my child, and I would be delighted if you would be my wife until we grow old and take our last breath together.”

Lilas held her breath; she never expected that this would ever happen to her. Pippin had proposed to her! It wasn’t important to Lilas that they were already married. She took her hands from Pippin and wrapped her arms about him, “I will be happy to be yer wife!” She let out the breath she was holding, crying tears of joy as she hugged him. “I love ye, Pippin. Happy birthday!” Again, she knew where his level of love was, but it mattered not. She loved him, and was elated that he allowed her to freely do so. Lilas combed his curls back with her fingers, then kissed him fully on the lips--to the delight of the onlookers. They whistled and applauded the tweens.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List