Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Six - Made for Each Other

That same evening, Pippin lay awake as Lilas slept peacefully next to him; the entire day’s events running through his mind. Waking up, getting dressed, washing up for breakfast…sharing intimate love with his wife…assisting his father in the Thain’s office…

I’ve crossed over the line, he said to himself. In his mind, he and Lilas were no longer good friends or roommates…they were now lovers. He wondered what had prompted him to take that final step--to consummate his wedding vows. Ah, yes…the baby. He smiled again, recalling the feel of his baby--his child--moving under the palm of his hand…though still within Lilas’ womb. 

His thoughts then reverted back to what had transpired soon after feeling his little laddie kicking. It wasn’t as if he didn’t get any pleasure from it, but Lilas’ bliss beyond measure was enough to tell him that it was the right thing to do…at the time. Now what will he do in the future?

Pippin laid aside his thoughts as sleep crept in and stole him away.

* * *

A week later, Pimpernel, Pervinca, and Lilas were having tea in Pippin’s and Lilas’ apartment while sewing the yellow curtains for their sister-in-law’s nursery room.

“Well, I think Teasel puts too much honey in her batter…,” Pervinca paused in giving her opinion of one of her Banks cousin’s sweet cakes. Seeing that Pimpernel and Lilas both suddenly stopped their laugher, Pervinca turned in the direction of their gaze. She dropped the panel she was stitching then jumped up, running into the arms of her beloved. “Merimas!” she shouted, and laughing and crying at the same time. “Oh, how I missed you, my love!”

Merimas caught his young wife in his arms, twirling her in a circle, then planted a loving kiss on her waiting lips. “I missed you, too, dearest,” he said, then set her on her feet. “Mistress Roanna was able to care for my last patient for the next several days, so I came as soon as I could.” Slowly their lips came together again--in a deeper, passionate kiss.

Pimpernel looked at Lilas with an impish grin on her face, rolling her eyes, “One would think she hasn’t seen him in over a month!”

“I think its lovely,” said Lilas as she smiled. Then she quit staring, going back to her sewing.

Pervinca was beside her friends again, breathless, “Lilas, when Morella returns from garden with the boys, you must make certain that Brody is watched after, will you?”

Lilas was a bit taken back, “Of course, Pervinca, but why?”

Pervinca grinned wickedly, “We’re going to our quarters. I think I should like to give my husband a proper welcome.”

Pimpernel grinned back, “Don’t injure the poor lad!” Then out the door Pervinca was, leading a smiling Merimas by the hand.

Once the two love-birds had shut the door behind them, Lilas became a little nervous as she contemplated asking Pimpernel a very personal question.

* * *

“Ahhh! This is the life!” Paladin eased his creaking bones into a lounging position against the broad willow tree. The panorama of the stream reflecting the Shire’s puffy clouds and blue sky was the view before him. He, Pippin, and Merry had taken advantage of the unusually warm pre-spring afternoon to go fishing. Not expecting to really catch anything except a nice nap. The only true fisher-hobbit amongst them was Merry; Pippin was next in line, but Paladin hadn’t fished in a serious manner since he was a much younger hobbit.

Merry smiled at his dearest uncle, “Go on, then--take your nap, Uncle. Pippin and I will bring home supper.”

Pippin’s hopes of dozing under the same willow tree next to his father were dashed. “We will?” he asked. “I’m sorry, Merry, but I can’t walk another step. I’m so tired I could sleep where I stand.”

Eyes closed, Paladin found a comfortable nook in the tree trunk while wondering at his son’s remark. “Why are you so tired, Pip?”

* * *

Back inside the Smials, Lilas forged ahead with her question, “Pimpernel, is it proper for me and Pippin t’…”

Pim paused in her sewing, waiting for her sister-in-law to finish her query. “Is it proper for you and Pippin to do what, Lilas?”

“Well,” the tween continued, “its sort of a private matter--do ye mind if I ask ye about yer…married life?”

Pimpernel considered the question, then felt it was important to allay whatever concerns the lass had. “Yes, but if I deem it too private, then I’ll say so.”

“Thank ye,” answered Lilas. “Last night I woke up with a certain feeling.” She waited for Pimpernel to nod. “No matter what I did, I couldn’t fall back t’ sleep, so I woke up Pippin and told him about it.”

So far, nothing out of the ordinary, but Pim could tell Lilas was growing ever more anxious. “And?”

Lilas went on, “he mumbled something about me waking him up three nights in a row, then turned over. I got desperate…”

* * *

“She had woke me up three nights in a row, Father!” Pippin was explaining his side of the story to his father back in the dell near the stream. Their fishing poles were propped securely against small boulders while they themselves relaxed under the eaves of the willow tree. Merry was the only one truly fishing. Pippin tried to keep his voice down so he wouldn’t scare away the fish. He blushed a bit as he continued, “She only wakes me up for one thing. You know.”

“What did you do?” asked Paladin.

“I told her that this was the third and last time she was going to wake me up like that, so I turned over and away from her. Then it happened! She attacked me, Father! She turned me back round towards her then proceeded to--” he stopped. Pippin was close to his father, but not so close as to divulge in detail his bedroom activities with his wife.

* * *

“I tackled him, Pimpernel! I would swear that I didn’t mean to, but the feelings were so strong last night that I couldn’t help myself. I turned him back towards me, lifted up his--”

“I get what you’re saying, Lilas,” Pim stopped the lass short of spilling all the particulars of her brother’s sexual behavior.

* * *

“It’s as if she knows exactly where to touch me in order to get what she wants,” Pippin said, sulking next to his father.

“And does she?” Paladin tried his best to hide his grin.

“What?”

Paladin expounded, “Does she get what she’s wanting?”

“Every time,” Pippin answered. “But then I end up tired and sleeping clear past second breakfast, or needing naps throughout the day. She wasn’t always like this, Father. What’s happened?”

* * *

“Why am I behaving so?” Lilas pleaded with her elder, wiser sister-in-law. Surely Pimpernel would have the answers.

“I don’t know, Lilas,” Pimpernel replied, “but the same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Gelly and Tilby. I’m certain that if you ask Pearl and Pervinca, they would tell you that they felt the same also. My mother told me that it was normal for pregnant lasses to feel aroused.” She smiled mischievously, “Its much more enjoyable while pregnant, too!”

Lilas let out a sigh of relief. “I thought I was becoming a shameless lass, Pim! I may not have been a good girl before, but I have never attacked a lad!”

Pimpernel laughed; she and Lilas had many talks over the past few months, getting to know each other better. Pimpernel was well aware of Lilas’ behavior before her interlude with Pippin. Under no circumstances did Pim condone Lilas’ behavior, but after learning how Silas had treated his daughter in the past, she understood.

* * *

Without going into too much detail of when Eglantine was pregnant with the girls and Pippin, Paladin explained that Lilas’ actions were…normal. “Though I am much more delighted that you have found intimacy with your wife, Pippin. I have observed my daughter-in-law these past few months and have found her to be a bright young hobbit--just like her husband.” Paladin reached over, patting his son’s knee affectionately. “Perhaps you two were made for one another more than we know.” He winked his approval.

Made for one another?, Pippin thought. Perhaps…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List