Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

A/N: I’ve had folks ask me about names in the past, but I can’t recall if I answered them properly…here goes. I derived Lilas’ name from one of my favorite flowers, the lilac. I have a bush in my backyard, so I get to enjoy their wonderful fragrance every spring. My first, and ultimate favorite flower are Roses. Doesn’t matter which kind, I love them all. Which is why in the very first paragraph of the story, while Pippin is in reflection, his attention is on some wild roses that he planted. Hence, the title, Where Roses Grow. I can’t go too much into that…for now. You will eventually read why.

Chapter Twenty Four - Dreams of Hope, Dreams Shattered

When Pippin woke up, he could see a pale indigo dawn breaking through the round windows of his old bedroom. He smiled at the distant memories of waking up every morning in this same room as a child. He turned over. He startled when he saw the whites of Lilas’ eyes blinking in the dim light. “Lilas!” he whispered, admonishing her. “How long have you been awake--watching me sleep?”

Lilas was unfazed by her husband’s reprimand. She wrapped her free arm around him, “Only for a little while. It’s one of the few things I get t’ enjoy.”

He spoke in a hushed voice, “Watching me sleep?”

“Shhh!” Lilas put her fingers to his lips. She truly was taking immense pleasure in the feel of her husband’s soft flesh beneath her fingers. “I can dream, can’t I?”

Pippin recalled his own thoughts from the day before about Lilas; she deserves someone who will love her completely. “There are always dreams,” he replied affectionately. “And I hope that yours will come true.”

Gazing into the depths of his green eyes, Lilas suddenly leaned forward and kissed him. A tender, passionate kiss it was. Lilas dug deep into her soul, pouring forth the very essence of her heart into it. When she finished, she lingered, feeling the warmth of his breath converging with her own. “I love ye, Pippin Took.”

Pippin blinked while returning his wife’s gaze. Love her completely. Pippin realized in one breath that the duty would fall to him. Marriage was for life. Swallowing hard, he struggled a bit with his response. “I…I love you, too.” He lied--though only somewhat.

And Lilas knew better. “No, ye don’t,” she answered with a sad grin, now playing with his bed-head curls. “Well--t least not the same way I love ye. But as ye said, maybe one day my dream will come true.”

Pippin sat up, feeling wretched for having been found out again. “How is it that you can read my thoughts like a book?”

Lilas smiled, running her fingers lightly down his back in response, answering, “We’re married, Pippin. I’ve been with ye every single day for almost two months, Pippin.”

After a moment, Pippin turned towards her; a faint smile on his face. “How did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“You know what,” he answered with a sincere smile. “When you first arrived at Great Smials, I wanted nothing to do with you, Lilas. Yet in the span of these past two months you have managed to win the hearts of my family. Perhaps your dream isn’t as far off as we think it is.” He took her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “I’ll try to do better as a father than I have as a husband.”

Her smile turned into a look of mild dismay. “Ye’re a good husband, Pippin. And I know for sure that ye’ll be a great father t’ our baby.”

Even though the level of his love wasn’t exactly where she would like it to be, Lilas loved these intimate moments. Just the two of them quietly talking. “So…what are we gonna name our daughter?”

Names! Pippin really hadn’t given any thought to a name for the baby. Another stark reality of him becoming a father. But it was a nice diversion from the previous discussion. An impish smirk appeared on his lips. “Have you been talking to Merry again? What if our baby is a lad?”

“It has to be a lass,” Lilas stated confidently, “I’ve chose yellow and pink for her room.”

“My son won’t be sleeping in a room filled with yellow and pink lacy curtains!” laughed Pippin.

“And she won’t be sleepin’ in a room filled with toy soldiers and slingshots!” Lilas playfully whacked Pippin with the stuffed pony they found the day before.

With a gleam of mischief in his eyes, Pippin grabbed hold of the stuffed pony and pinned her arms down, tickling her occasionally; both laughing as quietly as the early morning hours called for.

“Pippin! Hush!” Still laughing, Lilas cautioned her husband--a ploy to get unpinned. “We’re gonna wake--” Just then the door opened up.

“Estella and I--” Merry caught sight of Pippin holding down Lilas then went red in the face. “I--I’m sorry!” he said, then swiftly shut the door.

Pippin loosed Lilas, then jumping off the bed he ran after his cousin. “Merry! Wait! We weren’t doing what you thought we were.”

Merry was out in the hallway standing next to a wide-eyed Estella. Merry was still blushing. “I thought that you were sharing a jest when I knocked. But I supposed the way you two were laughing you didn’t hear it. I’m sorry.”

Pippin smiled at the couple, “Apologies aren’t necessary, dear cousin. I would’ve guessed the same thing in your place.” Then the reason for Merry’s visit piqued his curiosity. “You and Estella were going to do what?”

Regaining his composure, Merry posed his thoughts. “Actually, Pervinca, Estella, and I decided to make breakfast for everyone when we passed by and heard you two laughing. We wanted to know if you would like to join us.”

Lilas was now standing next to Pippin, holding his hand as she always liked to do. Pippin answered with a twinkle in his eye, “Most certainly. Lilas loves to cook--she especially likes to taste the food in bowlfuls--prior to serving it!” He nudged her.

“I do not!” She nudged him back. “Well…not all the time.”

Pippin gazed around the hallway then towards Estella, “If Pervinca is helping--where is she?”

Estella answered, “She and I rose up at the same time, but as she was getting dressed Brody decided he wanted his breakfast first.”

Pippin shook his head jesting about his sister, “Always finding an excuse to get out of work! I’ll bet he already had breakfast.”

Merry joined in, “Then he’s being a very good hobbit lad--filling up the corners!” Both lads earned nudges from their significant others as they shuffled towards the kitchen.

As they passed Pimpernel’s room, the foursome heard sniffling coming from inside. Looks of sorrow now replaced the smiles. “Please,” asked Pippin, “I’d like to talk to her.”

He knocked firmly as the others proceeded on to the kitchen, then opened the door a crack. “Pimpernel? Are you dressed?”

Pimpernel quickly dried her eyes, but the puffy redness remained. She wiped her nose with her handkerchief, then shoved it under her pillow. “Yes--come in, Pippin.”

Pippin entered then closed the door behind him. “We were passing by and thought you might need someone to talk to,” he said, gently sitting down next to her.

His sister kept her eyes averted, but said nothing for a few seconds. Then quietly she began to speak. “I wouldn’t wish this feeling on my worst enemy, Pip. My…my heart has been cut in half. In half, Pippin--and the wound bleeds again for my Hilfred.” The tears began again. Pim tried to stay ahead of them, wiping them away as they fell. “The open wound was staunched for a period while I was kept busy caring for our boys and infant son at Great Smials, but now,” she swallowed hard, “now it’s started bleeding again. I miss him--and it hurts so much.” She couldn’t hold back her sobs any longer.

Pippin took her into his arms, holding his sister while she cried into his shoulder. “I can’t even begin to imagine what this must be like for you,” he whispered into her ear.

“It’s horrible, unspeakable…,” she began. “I feel so empty, Pip. Half of me is gone.”

Pippin’s thoughts flew far and near as he sat holding his sister. He hoped and prayed that he would never have to experience what she was describing.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List