Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Two - Reflections

“Pippin, will we ever go back t’ visit again?” A very tired Lilas lay across the bench atop her cushions with her head on her husband’s lap. After the reunion at her family’s house and then Sam and Rosie’s big event yesterday, Lilas got to spend the entire next day visiting with her mother and siblings. Milas even visited his sister at Bag End, and warmed up enough to make small talk with Pippin a bit, but Silas never stepped foot out of his house to spend time with his daughter.

“Of course we will,” he answered, throwing a thin blanket over her. “But as your belly gets bigger I don’t think you’ll want to be traveling too far.” Pippin thought he heard a faint mumble in response. Looking down, Lilas had fallen asleep.

“The poor lass is exhausted,” said Merry in a low voice. “She didn’t sleep well at all before the visit.”

“Well,” Pippin jested, also speaking softly, “after a nice, large meal like she’s had in Waymeet, I’d be napping, too!”

“You’re terrible, Pip!” Merry chuckled. “She’s worn out and you know it. Hand me one of those cushions she’s not using.”

Pippin tossed his cousin a free pillow then watched him place it under his head. “As I recall, dear cousin,” Pippin teased, “you were actually trying to keep up with her,” then put his hand to his mouth to suppress a belch.

“In truth,” Merry answered, settling down for a bit of sleep. “I was trying to keep up with you!” He paused before his next question, “Are you bringing her to Whitwell on Highday?”

“I haven’t asked her,” Pippin replied. “I’m afraid of her doing something that will harm the baby.”

Merry cocked one eye open. “Like what? She’ll want to help, Pippin. We’ll all be there to watch over her. She wants to feel like she’s a part of things.” He opened both eyes, looking straight at his cousin. “She’s wants to be near you, Pip. She’s in love with you--even I can see that.”

Pippin sighed miserably, returning Merry’s gaze. “I know. I can see it.”

The sad green eyes were all the answer that Merry needed. He turned over, ending the conversation there. Each hobbit mulling over their own feelings of the situation until the rhythm of the ponies’ hooves began lulling them both to sleep.

* * *

Lilas angrily flung her cloak about her neck, hastily fastening the clasp. “You weren’t even goin’ t’ ask me, were ye?”

Sheepishly, but just as fervently, Pippin trussed up his rucksack, swinging it over one of his shoulders. “I worry that you might over do it and hurt yourself--and our baby.” Today was Highday; the day that Pimpernel needed help in moving some of her effects from the old farm smial at Whitwell to Great Smials in Tuckborough. Not a long distance by any means, but a monumental step for the young widow. Everyone ate first breakfast together and then prepared for the long two days ahead.

“No, I won’t, and ye know it!” Lilas turned fiery brown eyes upon her husband, “I hurt myself last month because I was tripped!”

“Lilas,” Pippin countered again, “it would be better for you if you rested here at the Smials.”

“Too late, Pippin Took!” she retorted, “Pimpernel and yer Ma’s already asked me!” With that, she turned and huffed out the bedroom room door.

“Lilas!” Pippin called out after her, but his wife kept on walking. “You stubborn Broadhammer! You’re just like your father!” She paused briefly as she opened the hall door, turning around. Pippin rued his cutting words the instant he saw the wounded expression on her face. Without a word, she exited the apartments, closing the door hard behind her.

* * *

Not many conversations were exchanged during the wagon ride to Whitwell. A somber ride it was. Paladin drove the team of ponies along the old familiar lanes, through the same village neighborhoods to the farm smial where he himself and his children grew up. In the back of the wagon sat two of his three daughters, their infant children (since they were both still nursing), his son, daughter-in-law, nephew, and his new lady friend, Estella Bolger.

Pippin, sitting on Pimpernel’s left, was being jostled, as were the others. To Pimpernel’s right, was Pervinca. Across the wagon bed sitting on the other side were Estella, Merry, and Lilas. Pippin gazed intermittently as his cousin whispered into Estella’s ear. His eyes caught sight of them holding hands as they were absorbed in their own world. Pippin sighed. Things did not seem to be going well for him. He was witness to Sam and Rosie’s engagement three nights ago; anyone could readily see that those two were completely in love with each other. Now his closest friend--his dearest cousin, was embarking on his own experiences of discovering love with Estella. To top things off, he had another argument with his own wife that morning--reiterating the strain and toil of being a young husband and father too soon. Pippin longed to experience love on his own terms. Not in a forced marriage, but one that he would take pleasure in until he grew old and drew his last breath.

His eyes trailed from Merry and Estella’s embraced hands to Lilas. His wife was staring out towards the fields that were now being made ready for sowing--obviously in her own thoughts. Pippin felt a pang of guilt when his mind heard once again Merry’s words, “She’s in love with you--even I can see that.” Lilas met his gaze; their eyes locked for a few seconds, then Lilas turned her eyes back out to the meadows. She deserves someone who will love her completely, Pippin thought.

Once they arrived at the farm, Eglantine and Pimpernel began organizing the tasks and whom they were assigned to. The lads were given the job of cleaning out the remnant parts of the barn. Old straw was still strewn about inside the pens and stalls though all the animals were long gone now; either taken to market or sold to other farmers. The lasses all went into the smial to clean up and gather the desired items that Pimpernel wanted.

Pervinca leaned in towards her sister as they entered the smial, whispering, “Is it just me, or is Pippin and Lilas not speaking to one another?”

“They had a bad quarrel this morning after first breakfast,” the elder sister answered. “Lilas wouldn’t talk to me about it.”

Pervinca had an idea. “I’m going to help the lads in the barn, Pim,” she said. “I think Lilas is going to need a bit of help in cleaning the boys’ rooms, don’t you think?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List