Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Seventeen - Unlikely Companions

It had been a rough night for Merry; between the restless sleep and his nightmares, he ended up in the common room well before first breakfast. He had the entire room to himself as he quietly lit his pipe for a peaceful smoke. In the silence of the pre-dawn Smials, his thoughts wandered far and near; to life before the Quest, and then life after. He laughed inwardly, thinking of how life rarely turned out as one figured it from a safe distance in childhood.

Without warning, a dark, silhouetted shadow appeared in the doorway. Merry startled, then jumped up from the chair he sat in.

“Mornin’,” said the shadow.

Merry breathed a sigh of relief, “Good morning, Lilas.”

“Didn’t mean t’ startle ye, Mister Merry--I thought the room was empty.”

He smiled, “Well, it seems it’s drawing a bit of a crowd at the moment. And please, call me Merry.”

Lilas looked warily around the sitting room, “Perhaps ye want t’ be alone,” then she turned to leave.

Merry realized that after the unnerving dreams he had experienced earlier that he would rather not be alone. “No--don’t leave,” he called to her. “Not yet, anyway. Please?” When he saw her turn back in his direction, he quickly scanned the room for the game he sought to occupy them both. “Up for a game of Draughts?”

“I suppose so,” she answered. “There’s nothin’ else going on right now. It’s still too early for breakfast.” She was curious as to why Merry was up at this hour. “Are ye always an early riser?”

“Yes…and no,” he replied, setting up the board and game pieces. “I was an early riser before the Journey, but since then, I’ve managed to sleep clear through to second breakfast.”

Lilas sat down in the chair across from Merry. “Pippin always gets up well before breakfast when he’s had a bad dream.”

Merry did his best to avoid discussing his or Pippin’s nightmares with anyone other than his closest friend. “I forgot to ask which color you wish to use,” he asked.

Lilas frowned, “Doesn’t matter--you’ll win the game anyhow.”

Merry looked up, “Why do you say that?”

“I’ve never been good at Draughts,” she replied. “My brothers liked t’ play with me because they knew they’d win.”

“Well,” he grinned, “as Pip can tell you, I’m a wagering hobbit, and I wager that you’ll be playing a fair game by the time we’re finished. I’ll use the white pieces because they go first, then that will allow you to try and follow some of my moves.” Merry imagined a sadness come over his game partner. “What’s the matter, Lilas?”

“I was just thinking ’bout Pippin, is all. After what mum told me, I’m beginnin’ t’ worry.”

Merry got word late last night that his young cousin had taken ill. “Yes, Pippin does have a way of growing on a person. Like a leech,” he added the last teasingly.

“Ye don’t mean that, do ye?”

The look of shock on her face was priceless. “No,” he chuckled, “I was only jesting. Pippin and I have always been close.” Merry watched her next move on the board. “Don’t move those pieces yet, Lilas. You have one other draughtsman you can move to capture one of mine--see?” he pointed out the obvious jump.

“Dabo told me that I had to move those pieces as soon as I could--that it was part of the rules.”

“Again, I’m willing to bet that Dabo wasn’t as quick to move the same draughtsman on his side of the board though, was he?”

Lilas thought back. “He never had t’--he always won the game before he needed t’.”

Merry moved his game piece, “My point exactly.”

“Are ye sayin’ that Dabo was cheating?”

Always the diplomatic one, Merry replied, “I’m only saying that I’ve never heard of such a rule, and I’ve played competition games at the fairs.”

Lilas studied the board for her move. “Well, from the looks of things now…he was cheating!” When their laughter died down, Lilas became serious again; she had another question on her mind. “Mist--Merry, how sick would Pippin get when he was a wee lad?”

Merry was about to give additional instruction to her recent move, but paused to answer her more immediate question. He leaned back in his chair, listening to the first stirrings of the servants preparing the main dining room nearby for breakfast. “He nearly died a couple times when he was a small boy, but as he grew older his illnesses became less severe though they would last longer. He had a close call when he was a teen; and then again when he was twenty seven. He had a high fever for four days. The healers actually sat my aunt and uncle down and told them to prepare for the worst--they thought for sure Pippin wouldn’t make it through the night. That’s why he’s fussed over so.” Then Merry smiled thoughtfully, “But he is a tough little Took--though he isn’t little anymore!”

Lilas stared at the fire in the hearth, eyes moist with tears. “Do ye think he’s gonna get worse this time?”

Merry’s next move was to occupy his dearest friend’s wife elsewhere. The draughts game was no longer keeping her mind busy. “I hope not, but with so many folks caring for him, I can’t imagine it getting much worse than a bad cold.” He stood up, “Shall we go to Uncle’s dining room for breakfast?” Lilas nodded, then stood up as well. Merry caught sight of her small, swelling tummy. It was barely noticeable under the loose-fitting frock she wore. He apologized when he realized he was gawking. “It still amazes me that a part of Pippin is growing inside you.”

“It is amazin’ isn’t it?” Lilas put her hand to her belly as they began walking towards the Thain’s dining room.

Merry decided he wanted to visit his near life-long friend. “Perhaps we can take a small detour and look in on Pippin. Would you like that?”

“I would,” she said, “but Mum and Pimpernel said I couldn’t be near him while he’s with fever.”

Merry remembered the baby. “They’re correct in that. We wouldn’t want you or the baby to become ill.”

She suddenly spoke with enthusiasm, “Would you look in on him for me? Tell him that…” she trailed off.

“I’ll be sure to tell him that you’re just outside the door, and that you’re wanting him to feel better soon.” Merry smiled for effect.

Lilas took his hand in hers and gave it a squeeze, “Thank ye, Merry!”

“For a price.”

Lilas’ smile waned. “And what price would that be?”

Merry continued walking slowly next to his young friend, confident that his price would be tendered. “I understand that you and Pimpernel are having tea with Estella Bolger tomorrow, are you not?” He watched her nod in silence. “Then all I ask is for you to…put in a good word for me.”

A sly grin spread across Lilas’ face. “Ye fancy Miss Estella?”

“Let’s just say that the smiles and nods in passing are becoming a bit…old. I should like to get to know my distant cousin a bit better.”

Lilas liked the idea of playing matchmaker. While thinking up ways to ingratiate Merry to Estella, they turned down the Thain’s tunnel to find one of the apartment doors opened up, spilling out faint daylight into the dim hallway. Lilas stopped in her tracks, recognizing that it was her’s and Pippin’s apartment. She could hear the soft volume of a couple people in conversation as she resumed walking, slowly approaching the open doorway. “…don’t understand it…still has a fever…”

Merry cleared his throat to indicate his and Lilas’ presence. “Good morning, Auntie…Uncle--how’s Pippin?”

Eglantine got up and embraced her nephew, “Good morning, Merry!” She noticed the dark circles under his eyes and knew what had kept the young Brandybuck from proper sleep. “Promise me that you’ll try to rest up a bit later?” He nodded. Her gaze swept back and forth between her nephew and daughter-in-law as she answered them both, “Pippin is doing rather well surprisingly. Pimpernel and I have kept vigil with him all night, placing cool cloths on his forehead. He’s about the same as when you last saw him yesterday, Lilas.” Then she smiled. “He’s been asking for more of your chicken broth--says it’s a special recipe that only you can make.”

Merry was delighted with the progress. He looked at Lilas, “That’s a good sign!”

Lilas smiled shyly, “’Tis my grandma’s. May I use the kitchens again?”

“You certainly may!” Eglantine said, “and may I assist you?”

“I’d like that, mum,” Lilas continued to smile, taking her mother-in-law by the arm. “Merry is going t’ visit with Pippin for me, and in return I’m going t’ tell Estella that Merry has taken a fancy t’ her.” Merry listened with horror as the two ladies walked towards the kitchens.

Paladin was sitting wearily in a chair next to the one that his wife and recently occupied. He smirked at Merry, “Never tell a lass that you like another unless you want it spread all over Tuckborough within the hour.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List