Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Hello friends! My apologies for not answering reviews like I normally do; life has been hectic this week for me. And Pearl--bless her, her computer has been acting up; 13 and 14 have not been edited, so 14, at least may get tweaked when Pearl gets a chance to catch up. Again, if not for her and Mysterious Ways--and friends like you, this story wouldn’t be where it is. I’d like to thank loveofthering, Carcilwen Greenleaf, Merrymagic26, Pipwise Brandygin, Mistress Holbytla, Pervinca (bra_chan90), Grey Wonderer, Rosie Ann, Bluegrass Elf, Melilot Hill, Lady Jaina, Pipkinsweetgrass--and please forgive me if I’ve overlooked someone--it’s not intentional. If I have, let me know, and I will thank you as well in Ch. 15. Thank you all for reading this story and for your gracious reviews. - PF

Chapter 14 - Dear Friends

The Thain, his wife, his young assistant, Peregrin and his wife stood before the door of the quarters that belonged to Everard and his growing family. Paladin used the brass knocker, rapping upon the heavy wooden door. Upon the door hung a placard, “Everard and Laurel Took”. It was their first babe’s Name-Blessing day. Pimpernel and Pervinca, along with their combined brood had arrived earlier.

Lilas squeezed Pippin’s hand in her own, then whispered as close to his ear as she could get, “What does the sign say?” Lilas had lagged behind again while admiring the ornate décor of the various hallways she had not seen before, so Pippin took her hand so she would not become lost as she did not too long ago in the Thain’s tunnels.

Pippin didn’t want the door to open up while his wife was sounding out the consonants, so he whispered in return, “It has their names on it.”

Lilas watched Eglantine brush the back of Paladin’s jacket then straighten out one of his sleeves. She whispered again, “Why don’t we have our names on our door?” Lilas took her mother-in-law’s cue and began brushing off Pippin’s jacket.

“Lilas!” Pippin reproved her, “I’m nervous as it is. Stop fussing over me.”

“Pippin,” Eglantine pointed out, “Lilas is trying to help you look your best.” When she turned away, Eglantine didn’t see her daughter-in-law stick her tongue out at Pippin. Pippin didn’t have a chance at a volley because the door opened up.

Once inside, Paladin took his son and met up with Everard to discuss the blessing ceremony. Eglantine noticed Lilas’ bemusement. “Pippin is in training, Lilas. He must shadow his father for when the time comes that becomes the Took and Thain. You, my dear, are going to shadow me today. You, too, will be learning how to be the Thain’s wife.”

Lilas swallowed hard walked timidly behind Eglantine, “Yes, mum.”

Just before the blessing began, Laurel handed her baby over to the Thain. Paladin cooed and cradled the tiny form in his arms. “She’s beautiful, Laurel. Reminds me of when I held my daughters for the first time.” Everard stood to the side beaming with pride. Then Paladin saw the eager look on his son’s face. “Would you mind if Peregrin holds her?”

“No--not at all!” Everard smiled at his younger cousin. “He needs the practice!”

Pippin took the tiny babe, careful to hold her as Laurel instructed. He was taken by the peaceful, little face. He smiled, “She’s as lovely as a new spring flower.” Then the baby stirred, whimpering a bit. Pippin gave the baby back to his father.

Paladin chuckled at his son’s reaction, “What are you going to do when the baby is yours?”

Pippin answered simply, “Love her.”

* *

After the ceremony, Eglantine was demonstrating to the inexperienced Lilas the finer points of mingling. Lilas watched intensely as her mother-in-law easily passed between couples and children, shaking their hands or rendering a simple, but sincere, gesture of kindness.

“Tina!” Rosamunda smiled at her close friend. “I’m so glad to see you!” She leaned in and kissed Eglantine’s cheek. “You look wonderful, my dear!”

Eglantine smiled in return, “You should know that I wouldn’t have missed this! You know that Laurel is a Banks on her mother’s side. I do believe we’re first cousins, thrice removed.” On and on the chatter went. Lilas tried her best to keep up, but was soon lost amid the counting of cousins, marriages, and babies. Her attention wandered over to a table of four tween lasses giggling among themselves.

“Lilas,” called one, “Come over here and introduce yourself to my friends.”

Lilas was eager to try out her newly acquired skills. She walked over to the table and curtsied, “Hullo, my name is Lilas Broa--, I mean, Lilas Took.” More giggles.

“Lilas,” one of them cooed, “my name is Saffron Took. Please be a dear and fetch us a tray of cider.”

This wasn’t in Eglantines instructions, but Lilas was thrilled to have new friends. “Certainly.” Lilas did as was bid her, returning with a tray holding a carafe of cider and five glasses.

“Lilas,” Saffron spoke again as Lilas placed the tray on the table, “we need biscuits to go with the cider--will you be a good lass and bring us some?”

Lilas thought to at least sit down and share in cider and conversation, but…these were her new friends. “Of course.” Off she went in search of the biscuits they requested. When she came back, she had a tray with a variety of tarts, biscuits, and sweet bread.

Out of nowhere Eglantine appeared and took the tray out of Lilas’ hands. “Lilas, you shouldn’t be lifting heavy items.”

“Yes, mum.”

Eglantine turned to the four tweens at the table, “Saffron, I believe the guests might like a biscuit or two. Would you please see that the guests are served?”

“But--”

“Or would you rather that I spoke to your mother?”

“No, ma’am.” The lass got up and accepted the tray from Eglantine.

Eglantine took the carafe and poured two glasses of cider. “I’m certain one of you lovely lasses can get another glass?”

“Yes, ma’am,” they said together.

Keeping one glass of cider for herself, Eglantine handed the other one to her young daughter-in-law. “Come along, Lilas, we have more mingling to do.”

* *

“I thought they were being my friends,” a chagrined Lilas remarked.

Eglantine sighed. “Most lasses do want to be your friend--though they want to get to know you first. But Lilas, my dear, you must be more discerning when choosing who your friends are. I’ve taught this to my own children while they were growing up.” She and Lilas had done a bit more socializing with the guests and then decided to finish their cider sitting together on the couch--in a more private setting. “And there are some lasses who are just as unhappy about you being married to Pippin as you are.”

“I--I’m not all that unhappy anymore, mum,” Lilas confessed. “Though I don’t think Pippin will ever be.”

Eglantine smiled, “Give him more time, Lilas.”

Lilas mulled this over. “Thank ye, mum. I’ll try not t’ be so quick t’ help next time.” Though Lilas wondered how she was going to manage that--she liked helping others.

Patting the girl’s lap, Eglantine replied, “Somehow Lilas, I don’t think that’s within you. I have a feeling that you’ll always be wanting to help in some fashion, but I fear it will be out of wanting approval.” She gazed at the young girl, “I may always possess a smidgen of anger and hurt over how you and Pippin were married, but Lilas dear…you have my approval.”

The sting of holding back her tears made Lilas blink. She put her head on Eglantine’s shoulder, “I miss my Ma somethin’ fierce, but if I can’t have her, then I’d rather have ye.”

* *

“Saffron!” Merry exclaimed, “are you offering me a biscuit?” He knew his distant, but willful cousin had to be paying off some sort of penance.

“Just take one!” she scowled.

Merry took a bite, making a face of sheer ecstasy, “Delicious! Too bad you’re serving, or I’d offer you one.” He smiled to watch her walk off in a huff, but not before grabbing a few more biscuits off the tray.

“You’re terrible, Merry!” Pippin laughed.

“I know,” he said between chews. “but she brings it on herself.”

Pippin couldn’t argue with that logic. “So how long are you staying this time?”

“For as long as you need me, cousin,” he replied, then swallowed a bit of tea to wash down the biscuit. “Where’s your wife? Or have you lost track of her already?”

“She’s with mother.”

“Well?”

“Well what?” Pippin asked.

“You two haven’t managed to kill one another yet, so I imagine you both are getting on quite well?”

“Well enough,” Pippin answered evasively.

“Pim told me that you introduced Lilas to your nightmares a couple weeks ago.”

Pippin slid his hands in his pockets, walking alongside his favorite cousin, “Pim shouldn’t be talking, Merry, and you shouldn’t be indulging her.”

“I’m glad that she did tell me,” Merry countered. “I, for one, would like to know what you told Lilas.”

“What do you mean?” Pippin gave Merry a puzzled glance.

“What did you tell her?” he asked. “I often wonder what I will say to the lass I marry. How do I explain them?” Merry chuckled, “Here I am asking for your advice! This is a real turnabout.”

“And a pleasant one, I might add,” said Pippin. “asking for my advice. But that’s just the thing, Merry. I didn’t say anything for days. I was too afraid to. Finally, one night while we were in bed it all just came out.”

Merry didn’t like dwelling on the night terrors for too long. He changed the subject in a jest, “Please--you don’t have to go into any more detail--especially of the part while you both were in bed.”

“Trust me, cousin, there’s nothing to talk about on that subject.”

It took a second, but Merry was a bright lad. “You mean…?”

“That’s right. Nothing, nil--as in not there.”

This revelation concerned Merry greatly. “I was only jesting, Pip. But are you serious?”

“Very.”

Merry leaned in close to his cousin for privacy, “Pippin! You can’t just refuse relations with her.”

“Merry, you must remember she was a complete stranger to me when we were married,” said Pippin. “Besides, I haven’t refused, and she hasn’t asked.”

Merry shook his head, “I don’t believe this. Pippin, she was a complete stranger to you when you two proliferated in the shadows behind the Green Dragon! What’s truly stopping you now?”

“Since when have you become an expert on relations with the lasses?”

Merry took his cousin buy the shoulder, “Pippin, I know I’m sounding a bit harsh when I say this, but some folks take consummating wedding vows very seriously.”

Pippin had never looked at it that way; he had much to think about.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List