Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Roses Grow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Forty Seven - A Day at a Glance

“You’ve gone and done it,” Merry said in wonder, responding to his cousin’s outburst. “You’ve cracked.”

“I’m not cracked,” said Pippin, sitting next to Merry on the bed with his face in his hands.

“Then you were sleepwalking,” said Merry. “You’ve done it before at Crickhollow.”

“I wasn’t sleepwalking,” Pippin snapped.

“Then how do you explain reprimanding your sick daughter for something she has no control over?”

“She’s done more than you think, Merry,” said Pippin. “She’s in my dream, I tell you. She’s the one who asks me to make that ridiculous promise.”

Merry protectively lifted the baby to his shoulder, “There you go on again about this sweet infant compelling you to give your word about something at a strange place somewhere in the Shire.” Merry turned Rosebud in his arms to face her father. “Look at her face--this adorable child has done nothing except behave as a baby ought to. You’re exhausted, Pippin--go back to bed.”

Pippin did not take in his cousin’s words; instead, he sat on the bed gazing at his daughter. Rosebud rested peacefully in her Uncle Me-mi’s arms with her head on his shoulder. She returned his gaze with her big green eyes, removing her fingers out of her drooling mouth long enough to reach out to Pippin with her wet hand, “Baba.”

“Oh, Rosebud,” Pippin quietly spoke, arms held out to take his baby daughter. “I’m sorry.”

Merry obliged by handing the babe over to her father. “I hope you have come to your senses.”

“I’ve had them all along,” replied Pippin, cuddling his daughter. “I never lost my wits,” he said, feeling his daughter’s warmth on his cheek as it caressed hers. However, a bit too warm for his liking. “Though I may have briefly lost sight of what’s truly important. My riddle can wait.” He then stood up with Rosebud nestled in his arms, “I’m going back to my own bed.”

Merry got up to ensure Pippin and the baby got into bed all right. “That has been your most rational remark yet.”

~~

Later that morning, after breakfast, the lads had gone to market to procure the ingredients Merimas would need in the coming days to help Rosebud. There was no question of whether or not to take a sick child out of doors, so Pippin asked his mother and father to watch over Rosebud while he, Merry, and Merimas proceeded with the errand.

The Thain and his wife were minding their granddaughter in Pippin’s apartment when a servant-lass arrived with a tea tray and a small bowl of porridge that they had ordered. The lass curtsied to the Thain and Mistress before taking her leave, “Will there be anythin’ else, sir?” Paladin looked to his wife, then shook his head, “No, but thank you.”

“No, thank you, Bluebell,” replied Eglantine. “We can manage from here.” Deftly holding a squirming Rosebud on one hip--as she tried her best to reach for the steaming bowl of oatmeal--Eglantine set up the table for tea. Fortunately, after raising four children, clutching a young child while doing several tasks at once had come back to Eglantine like swinging on a rope-swing.

Even so, Eglantine worried for her young granddaughter. She inwardly wished that Rosebud’s health was as hearty as her appetite. However, if her memory served, even that wouldn’t last much longer. How sick would Rosebud get this time? Was Merimas thorough enough in his examination? Would the baby respond to the herbs and spices the healer ordered for her? Instead of reprimanding the child by pulling her arm away from seeking the hot bowl, she shifted Rosebud in her arms, giving her a gentle hug. In the midst of the embrace, Eglantine heard in Rosebud’s breathing what Pippin had pointed out to her before going into town with the lads.

She gave the baby one last snuggle before handing her over to Paladin so that he could feed her. Eglantine had fed their precious granddaughter the last time they minded her, so today was Paladin’s turn, and yes, she felt a bit jealous. “Place your ear against Rosebud’s chest and then listen quietly for a moment.”

Paladin did as his wife instructed then without a word cradled Rosebud in his arms. Eglantine waited for him to comment. When she perceived none was forthcoming, she asked, “Well?”

“What do you wish for me to say?” he answered softly. This territory was all too familiar for the elder Took and his wife. They had gone down this same path when Pippin was a baby, and yet having had this experience didn’t make it any easier to bear. Above all else, Rosebud had stolen the Took and Thain’s heart the day she was born. Paladin was well aware that the road ahead for his granddaughter would be difficult, yet had always been confident that things would turn out fine--just as it did for his son.

Eglantine listened to her husband’s remark, sighing at the omen of Rosebud’s present illness. “I remember that sound in Pippin’s chest a few times when he was a baby--”

“And he still lives,” Paladin firmly objected, then gave Rosebud another spoonful of porridge. “That’s it, love--eat up.”

“For as many times as I thank the Valar for our own fortune, there are many children who do not,” she answered in return, absently folding a lap quilt then laying across the back of the couch. “I don’t know if I have the strength to do it again.”

Paladin paused in feeding his granddaughter, asking, “The strength to do what?”

Eglantine sat down on the chair next to her husband. “To stand by watching our flesh and blood suffer through illnesses that could very well take her life.”

Paladin whirled in his seat, “We don’t know that, Tina. Besides, we found the strength for Pippin, and we’ll find the strength for Rosebud.” Paladin then switched his attention back to the baby, who had turned her head towards her grandma just as he was about to give her a bit of porridge. He ended up scraping the results off her chin with the spoon. Rosebud began to get fussy when her grandpa tried to feed it to her again. “I’m sorry, dearest,” said Paladin, laying aside the spoon and bowl, then lifted the baby from her highchair. “Is your tummy full?” Rosebud liked the view from her grandfather’s shoulder in the sitting room as he walked her round to the window then back towards the door. She calmed down for the moment.

Eglantine smiled and waved to Rosebud as Paladin walked by. However, the young babe was feeling out of sorts; Rosebud put her thumb in her mouth then lay her head on grandpa’s shoulder. “Is she warmer than before, dear? Bring her round again so that I can feel her forehead.”

“She was warm before I fed her,” answered Paladin. When he took Rosebud away from his shoulder to cradle her, she started to carry-on again. She liked being up by her grandpa’s shoulder because she could breathe easier.

“Well, her continually being a fuss-button isn’t a good sign,” said Eglantine, placing her hand upon Rosebud’s brow. “My poor, wee lass,” she sighed, coddling the babe. “I wonder how the lads are able to be around her all day and night yet never seem to become ill themselves.”

~~

“Achooo!”

“Good gracious me!” said Pippin, “I hope you brought along enough handkerchiefs.”

Having finished making their purchases, Pippin and Merry were ambling in the direction of the Thain’s carriage. Merimas was delayed with paying for a last minute acquisition.

“I hab plenty dear cousid,” said Merry, shifting the sack in his arms, pulling a white cloth out of his breeches pocket to blow his nose. “I always have sneezing fits in the sprig.”

“Not this late in springtime.”

“Remember the spring when we had our Conspiracy? I was sneezig all the way through to midsummer.”

“I hope you’re not catching anything.”

Merry became subdued, but knew his next action was for the best. “To be sure, I’ll keep away from Rosebud until I’m considered safe.”

“I’m sorry, Merry,” said Pippin, genuinely sympathetic. He put an arm around his dear friend, “but I am grateful your consideration.” At that moment, Merimas had caught up to the lads, walking beside Merry. Pippin saw the small sack the elder Brandybuck carried. He asked his brother-in-law, “What did you purchase?”

“A small quantity of ginger,” he answered the inquisitive tween. “For Pervinca’s nausea, if you must know.”

“Then I take it you add Pervinca won’t be makig any gingerbread this tibe of year,” Merry teased his cousin. “Aaachooo!”

“No, we won’t,” Merimas answered, gazing oddly at Merry. “Are you getting sick, cousin?”

“No!” Merry stated with emphasis, taking out yet another handkerchief. “I’m telling you both--this is just my recurrent sneezig from the growing seasod.”

“I’m certain it is, Merry,” Merimas caught Pippin’s eye, then both nodded with a look of unbelief. Merimas decided he would have a look at his cousin when they all returned to the Smials.

As Pippin, Merry, and Merimas rode inside the carriage along the country meadows on the path towards home, they passed by a young lass walking in the road, lugging a heavy bag. She appeared to be in her tweens.

“It seebs she’s all alode,” said Merry, before blowing his nose again.

“Stop, Matt!” Pippin called out the window to the driver. When the carriage came to a halt, Pippin didn’t wait for Matt, the foot hobbit, to open the door. He opened it himself then jumped out with Merimas behind him.

“Good day, Miss,” said Pippin as he met up with her. He saw that the young lass wore a simple summer frock of blue with an apron tied in front. Gathering her long chestnut-colored hair in the back was a blue ribbon. He saw the lass wipe beads of perspiration from her brow with a pocket-handkerchief that had decorative blue embroidery around the edges. Her eyes…Pippin was mesmerized by them; he would long remember her large hazel eyes with their long, dark eyelashes. “Peregrin Took at your service,” he added hastily, then introduced his brother-in-law.

“Hullo,” said the lass, dropping her bag to the ground, which sent up a plume of dust. She curtsied, saying, “Thank you--thank you both.” Pausing to catch her breath, she added, “My name is Sapphira North-took. I am pleased to meet you.”

Merimas looked up at the warm afternoon sun, shining brightly in the over-heavens. “’Tis a warm afternoon to be out walking alone in the road--and with a heavy bag.”

“Where are you going?” asked Pippin. “Perhaps we can assist you.”

“I am on my way to Great Smials,” she answered, dabbing at the back of her neck. “The coach I was riding from Long Cleeve had a delay in Waymeet, so I missed the carriage that would take me there.”

“It just so happens that we’re headed in the same direction,” said Pippin. “Would you care to join us? Merimas is correct--it’s far too warm for a long walk in the sun today.” He cast a quick glance up towards the sun, “She’ll drain every bit of strength from you.”

Opening her handbag, Sapphira took out an envelope, offering it to Pippin. “Here,” she said. Pippin took the envelope, pulling out the stationery to read. After a while, he looked up, smiling. “This letter is from my sister. You’re replacing Molena--who’s moving to Pincup to get married.”

A worried expression came over the young lass. “And a lovely first impression I have made today. I’m afraid I am over late for the meeting Mistress Pimpernel specified in the letter.”

Pippin offered a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry--once she knows the situation, Pim will understand.”

“Come along, Miss Sapphira,” said Pippin, lifting her bag from the road. “I’ll escort you to my sister, if you don’t mind. It’s not proper for a lass to travel unescorted.”

“Very well,” answered Sapphira, allowing Pippin to stow her bag. Tucking her handkerchief back into her handbag, she followed the lads into the carriage.

Now back at Great Smials, the four young hobbits traversed the winding tunnels towards the Thain’s residence. The first hobbit to be dropped off was Merry--at his old room. It was the room he had occupied during his visits before moving in with his younger cousin. Pippin stayed out in the hallway to keep Sapphira company.

“Get into your nightshirt and then to bed with you,” said Merimas, standing in the entryway.

“I’b not sick,” Merry whined, then wiped his nose with his handkerchief. “If you haven’t doticed, I haven’t sdeezed once since we arrived back at the Sbials.”

“Your nose still sounds stuffed,” Merimas countered. He stood with arms crossed over his chest like a sentinel guarding the door.

Merry gazed directly into his cousin’s eyes; perhaps the old Brandybuck stare-down would work. However, Merimas was undaunted; he held his ground against the future Master of the Hall. He asked, “Do you really want to endanger our niece’s health when there is even the smallest possibility that you may be ill and bring more so upon her?” Merimas could be sly when the moment called for it. He knew all he had to do in this situation was bring up the subject of Rosebud.

Merry let down his defences, sitting on his bed with a defeated sigh. “All right,” he conceded, “I suppose I cad take a dap for a few hours. But all my clothes are in my roob inside Pippid’s apartment.”

Merimas relaxed his stance, a faint smile on his lips. “I’ll bring you a nightshirt, then.” He turned to walk out the door when he heard Merry call to him.

Merry sniffed, glancing sheepishly at Merimas, “and…bring me clean handkerchiefs.”

Merimas walked with Pippin and Sapphira until they came upon the guest quarters that served as his and Pervinca’s rooms whenever they visited Great Smials. They were presently on an extended visit from Rosebud’s birthday party until his wife was up to travelling back to Buckland. “I will see to Pervinca first, then take Merry one of my nightshirts to use. I’ll check in on Rosebud after that. See you shortly, Pip.” Merimas took his leave from Pippin and Sapphira, entering his flat then closing the door behind him. From there, Pippin escorted his nephews’ new nursemaid towards Pimpernel’s apartment.

Before long, Pippin entered his own apartment with Sapphira in tow. Seeing no one in view, he called out, “Mother?”

Eglantine emerged from Pippin’s bedroom with her finger to her lips, “They’re asleep!” She then pointed to the couch behind Pippin.

“Sorry,” whispered Pippin, turning to see his father stretched out on the said couch. “How’s Rosebud? Where is she?”

“She’s fine--she’s also sleeping,” said Eglantine softly, then used her thumb to indicate behind her, “on your bed. You really ought to get Rosebud her own cot, Pippin.”

Not willing to discuss a private matter in front of guest, Pippin chose to change the subject. “Where’s Pimpernel? She and the boys are not in her apartment.”

“They’re out in the garden this afternoon. She was supposed to meet with a young lass earlier but tired of waiting for her. Honestly, Pippin you tweenagers--”

Pippin cleared his throat, hinting to his mother to withhold further comments. “Mother, this is Miss Sapphira North-took of Long Cleeve. She is the lass Pimpernel was to meet with before luncheon.”

Eglantine raised her eyebrows in uncomfortable surprise--silently thanking the over heavens that her son had the consideration to interrupted her. After an awkward moment, she replied to Sapphira, “You’ll find my daughter and the boys in the north garden having a picnic. I’ll take you to her. And you, dear son,” she took Pippin by his shoulders, gently twisting him round in the direction of his bedroom, “will find your daughter fast asleep on your bed.”

Shutting the bedroom door, Pippin stepped gingerly into the darkened bedroom, listening to Rosebud’s soft breathing. He brought a chair near to the bed to sit in, gazing at her while she slept. He loved to watch Rosebud sleep; her body seemed so at peace.

For a long while he sat there, watching her small chest rise and fall with each breath. Pippin imagined she was probably dreaming of sweet cakes covered with fresh butter and honey. Love of food was something father and daughter shared. All of a sudden, food lost its appeal--Pippin put his hand to his stomach. He had felt a headache coming on while at the market, but then forgot about it when he and Merimas spied Sapphira walking in the road. He leaned back in his chair, envisioning Sapphira’s eyes again…her large, bright hazel eyes. Pippin imagined them shining with love and laughter.

Pippin rubbed his temples, feeling his headache return with force which made his stomach feel a bit nauseated. He rose up from his chair with no other thought than to lay down for a while to ease his throbbing head. Gently, he crawled onto the mattress, careful not to disturb his slumbering baby daughter. Pippin breathed a sigh, feeling the softness of his bed meet his weary, achy body.

TBC

A/N: This is as close as I’ll ever get to writing Diamond in this AU story. I figure I’m the last author in LOTR fanfic to put my thumbprint on her character in my universe, but…oh, well. I imagine Diamond looks much like her elder sister, Sapphira, as I described above, and also works as a nursemaid. Oy…the wheels are turning…but not for a story so soon. Sorry. Keep your eyes peeled for Marigold’s Challenge--something might present itself there…that is, if the muse remains undisturbed. My apologies for a late update--I’m finding that I need peace and quiet for my muse to run wild (which is hard to come by at my sister’s house!). Thanks to everyone who has responded to chapter 46 for your support--and thank you for reading Roses! Take care.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List