Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Orcs, Dungeons and Little Sisters.  by eokat

Orcs, Dungeons and Little sisters.

Chapter Two.

It was early morning and the sun was starting to stream in through the windows of the large bedchamber. Together snuggled in the bed lay Eomund, his wife nestled in his strong arms, strong arms that wanted to protect his beloved from all further hurts. The lady Theodwyn had slept the eve and night through, to the worry of her husband, but both were awake now and from within the bed came soft laughter followed by a deep chuckle. His body ached for intimacy, but she was so frail in his arms that he curbed his desires until she were well again. At least her sense of humour was still strong and she laughed once more over the disgruntlement and embarrassment of Beoring.

“I cannot help but feel remorse, my beloved,” she whispered.

“About?”

“I gave blame to Eomer, for the soaking the pair of them received. I was so angry and fearful for their health..” she paused, biting her lip, “I didst not listen to our son and gave punishment without hearing the facts. For this I caused him distress. I …”

Eomund tightened his arms around his wife and held her close, kissing her softly, “Our son, loves you, sweetling,” Eomund spoke softly, nuzzling her neck gently, and said thoughtfully, “Eomer oft-times appears older than his years, that this will help much when he comes to man-hood I have no doubt. He knows you were sick and will book no blame.” He tried to comfort his wife.

Theodwyn sighed and relaxed into the comforting embrace of her husband, she lifted her head slightly to look at him and smiled, “But Eowyn, husband. Who would have thought it?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The previous day a rather irate Beoring had stormed from the halls of the Marshal, his son Brandig following behind somewhat downcast. He stopped and turned to face his son, “Never in my life…” he bellowed, “Never in my family…home boy” he announced to his rather dour and shamefaced offspring.

That same morning had seen Eomer and his sister out of doors for the first time in a ten-day following their recent sickness. It was a warm day, else they would still have confined indoors. Eomer had his by now rather battered sword and his sister followed with her favourite doll, Mthilda. They played in the warm sunshine and gradually got nearer and nearer to the little stream, which ran by the edge of the large garden area.

Of a sudden came some other children and at first they played happily together, the boys games getting rowdier and more boisterous, then of a sudden one of the older boys, Brandig began to tease Eowyn. Eomer noticed and stormed up and valinantly tried to defend his sister, but as Brandig was much stronger, he was powerless to stop him snatching ’Mthilda’ away from her. Eowyn wept bitterly at this and Eomer was much enraged by the act. Brandig ran away and tossed Mthilda into the stream and then laughed heartily as Eowyn sprinted forward to retrieve her toy, which caused her to trip over her skirts and she then fell headfirst into the running water.

Eomer rushed immediately into the cold water himself to pull his weeping sister out of its embrace. He held her close as she was shivering, himself not much better and tried to comfort her.

“Mthilda,” she sobbed, “W.. w..ant Mthilda,” Eowyn pointed downstream to where her doll was being carried. Without hesitation Eomer back ran into the cold water again and retrieved the toy for his Eowyn, to the rather loud catcalls and jeers from Brandig.

Eowyn marched up to the much bigger and older boy and shouted at him, “You hurt Mthilda, you, you….orc.”

Brandig leant over to pull at her plaits and Eowyn raised her little hand and whacked him in the eye. Brandig was so surprised he backed away holding his face in his hands. He and his friends ran off before Eomer returned, they feared that if the small daughter of the Marshal could act so, what would the older brother do? Eomer returned to his sister’s side, rather uncomfortably holding before him a bedraggled and soggy Mthilda.

She smiled at her brother and hugged her retrieved doll with joy.

“Where did Brandig go,” asked Eomer scowling, looking around.

Eowyn just shrugged her shoulders, happy that she had Mthilda back in her grasp once again.

Eomer sneezed, and Eowyn looked at him and giggled, “Your lips are blue,” she pointed. Eomer touched his mouth as if to feel them so.

“So are yours “ he answered brushing her lips with his fingers and noticed that she was still shivering, “Let us to home, Wyn.” Eowyn nodded happily and held her brothers hand tightly as they walked up the large garden back to the house in which they dwelt. Eomer had a sinking feeling that their mother would none be too pleased when she saw the state of their return, but she would understand when he had explained what happened.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So, beloved,” said Eomund, “Imagine the feelings of Beoring when he saw his son sporting a black eye…

“And,” Theodwyn laughed, “How could the son save face and say ‘twas a four year old girl-child who had afflicted it there upon…but,” she went on, “It was most unfair of him to put the blame to Eomer, I hope you judged on this, and in the lad’s misbehaviour.”

“Aye, but not I deem as much as the father will judge and punish when they were to home. He is a strict man and unfortunetly spares not the rod within his house, though he knows my feelings on this issue. I deem Brandig would have spoken truth had he not been so feared of his sires wrath.”

“Poor boy,” Theodwyn sighed, “no child should be punished so…” her voice broke to tears as her loss surfaced as it was want to do when matters turned to the talk of children.

Eomund held her closer and soothed her with words of love and tenderness, ere she rested in his arms and he rose not but lay with her. All matters could wait he would not leave his wife again at this time, not now when she needed him so much.

An hour later, the patter of feet was heard in the corridor, “I deem our young have awakened, husband,” said Theodwyn, “I suppose we should expect an invasion shortly.”

Eomund laughed, “Aye, sweetling, we had better brace ourselves for attack.”

A tiny voice was heard outside the door and the latch rattled, “Mama?”

“Enter, sweet daughter,” boomed Eomund, whereupon a delighted Eowyn flew into the bedchamber and he deftly scooped her in his arms afore she leapt on her mother.

“Child,” Eomund chided gently to his daughter, “Tell truth to me, did’st you harm the son of Beoring yesterday at play?” He looked down in mock sternness at his daughter. “I wonder how we have reared such a rapscallion?” he spoke as he tickled her gently.

“He hurt Mthilda, Papa.” Admonished Eowyn with a glare and a giggle, “ And Eomer saved her, he pulled her from the water.”

“Where is your brother?” asked Theodwyn, almost guiltily.

“Here, mother,” answered Eomer from the doorway, where he had been watching. He was worried, his mother looked so pale and white and he had been most unhappy to incur her anger.

“Then come within and warm your feet,” chided his mother gently, smiling at him. That was all Eomer needed and he dashed to the bed, clambered up slowly and wrapped his arms around her.

“I am sorry I listened not to you, my own,” she whispered into his ear. Tears filled his eyes as he looked into her beautiful face.

“Mother…” he started, then paused, biting his lip.

“What is it, my own,” she coaxed, brushing her cheek against his blonde mane.

“You will be well again mother… you will…?” he stammered, with a look of fear in his dark eyes.

A sudden sadness passed over her face, she had lost much blood since losing the babe and still bled a little even now, two months on, “Yes, my own,” she kissed him lightly. Eomer smiled back, but the worry was still nagging into him.

Eomund leant over and stoked his sons head, “I think a change of scenery will help?”

“Where?”

“Where, father?”

Eomund paused and a huge grin crept over his face, Eowyn climbed atop her Papa and pressed nose to nose, “Where Papa?”

Eomer remained close to his mother, “Yes, husband,” she inquired again “Where wouldst you send us?”

“Eomund stretched and bounced his daughter on his chest, hearing her tinny laugh as she enjoyed her ride “Meduseld, to visit your kin,” he said softly.

Theodwyn grinned,” Meduseld! Oh yes, I would so love to see my brother, it has been far too long. But,” she paused,” Will the journey be safe, with the children travelling with us.”

“Safe enough to be escorted by the royal guard,” Eomund replied, with a grin, “I did send a message to Theoden King for this request and I know he will oblige. So we travel in a seven - day. I shall ride as escort to see you safe, but I must needs return to protect the borders, nay beloved, look no so downcast, for I will ride to visit as and when I am able.” He leant over to brush his lips over his wife’s face.

Indeed Eomund had another reason for Theodwyn to travel. One of the best healers in the Mark dwelt in Edoras and he had written to the king of his sister’s condition so she would hope to find healing there and also much needed rest in her childhood home.

Both siblings began to chatter excitedly about the forthcoming trip, bouncing up and down on the bed and asking incessant questions to a patient Eomund, who tried to answer them as quick as they were fired. Theodwyn lay contentedly watching her babes’, so full of life they were; so impatient to know everything about Meduseld; so happy.

TBC.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List