Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry`s Secret  by Anso the Hobbit

Part Four: Epilogue

“There they are!” Pippin was all exuberant joy as he called to his cousin. “Frodo! They`re coming now.”

“And on time too. We talked about sending out a search team. You`ve been gone for hours you know.” Frodo and Pippin was long since finished with their game of chess, and had enjoyed a pipe themselves, talking to Gimli and his father Gloin, who still stayed in Rivendell as Gimli was chosen to be one of the Fellowship.

“What kept you so long?” Frodo asked.

Merry walked up to Frodo, giving him a hug. “I`m sorry Frodo, but there were things to talk about. Now, how did your game go? Did you best the Baggins, Pip?” Merry had transferred his hug to Pippin by now.

“Merry! No one beats a Baggins at chess. You know that.” Bilbo said.

“I equalled him though.” Pippin said.

Walking towards the House, Bilbo drew Merry aside. He had not overcome his amazement over the fact that Merry actually had spied on him, snuck into his study and read his … diary! “I must say, Meriadoc, that you`re quite the cheeky one. I`m not sure if I ought to be angry with you for this or grateful for all you`ve just told me.”

“I`m sorry Bilbo, if I sound like thief roaming your house, but I must admit I was beside myself with curiosity, and I never meant any harm.”

“I know you didn`t Merry, you never do. And besides, it was probably for the best, when we look back on it now, don`t you think? I am glad you found a way to find information on your own.”

“Yes. That might be. At least it was a help in helping Frodo here.”

“At any rate, I am glad you did what you did now. And I`m all the more grateful that I have my Frodo here – that I have all of you lads here. The path before him is perilous but you`re going with him and I think that is for the best, everything considered. I wish there was more I could do.”

“You`ve done your part, Bilbo. You gave the Ring to Frodo, and he must do what he can now. All we can do is hope.”

THE END

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List