Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From Princeling to Warrior  by Manderly

Chapter 3 —
Something rather unusual was taking place in Mirkwood’s throne room at the moment. Voices were speaking all at once, the normal melodic lilt of the elven tongue masked with anxiety and urgency. There was even a tinge of fear.
"Quiet! All of you!" At last, Thranduil’s voice cut through the distinctly unelvish rabble.

The voices stilled and all looked to their king expectantly. Thranduil regarded his councilllors and advisers in frowning silence. When at last he spoke, his voice, in spite of his best efforts, sounded tired and strained.
"Now, Yaavie, you first. What exactly are the settlers telling you?"
"My Lord, it is a rumour only and no one has been able to prove it true or otherwise, but there is word that orcs are gathering to attack the palace."
"Rumours? Where are our scouts whose job is to verify reports such as this? I have no time for rumours." Thranduil’s patience was running low. "Send out scouts immediately and report back to me. If there are orcs advancing on the palace, I want to know."
"My Lord, scouts have been sent already but they have not yet returned. I must advise, my Lord, out of an abundance of precaution, that we should prepare as if orcs are amassing."
Aldeon spoke up for the first time. "Most of our warriors have been sent to the southern borders to deal with sightings of a large army of orcs gathering there. Others have also been sent to the eastern settlement." He cast a worried look at Thranduil. "We do not have enough warriors to defend the palace against a large army of orcs should we be attacked."
"Perhaps we should get word to the troops heading to the southern borders that they should return to defend the palace." Yaavie suggested tentatively.
"And what if orcs are gathering at the southern borders as has been reported? Do we then risk the lives of our warriors there? No, we must wait until the scouts return with their reports before we make a decision in recalling the troops," Thranduil countered. "In the meantime, we will prepare as best as we can. Send word out to the surrounding cottagers that they should take protection behind the walls of the palace and that they must do so quickly. All able men will have to take up arms to help defend the palace should the need arises."
A sudden commotion at the doorway interrupted Thranduil’s string of orders and all eyes turned as a travelled-stained and dishevelled elf made his way toward the dais.
"Forgive me, my Lord, for interrupting but I have a most urgent message," the newcomer saluted his liege nervously.
"He is one of two scouts that I sent out two days ago," Yaavie advised the king.
Thranduil nodded and turned to the weary elf before. "What is your name? And what is your urgent message?"
"My name is Kamil, my lord. There is a large army of orcs marching toward the palace. They are but at most four days away."
"How big is this army?" Thranduil asked sharply.
"Hundreds, four hundred perhaps, probably more."
Thranduil turned quickly to his eldest. "Aldeon, send out three of our fastest riders. We must recall the troops."
"Wait, my Lord," Kamil cut in. "The troops are being recalled already."
Thranduil snapped his head back toward the speaker. "How so? I have only just given the order now. Who has recalled them?"
"Prince Legolas," the elf answered, more than a little apprehensively.
"Legolas?!" There was a look of total disbelief on Thranduil’s face. "And since when has he taken command of the troops? And where is Legolas, by the way?" The last question was directed at his eldest.
Aldeon had no answer for him. "I have not seen him since yesterday."
"I have not seen him either," Thranduil spoke in a very quiet voice.
"My Lord - " Kamil spoke up again, though he had the look of someone who dearly wished at the moment that he was born a mute. "We came across Prince Legolas yesterday in the woods. He has gone after the troops to the south. He told us to come back to the palace to warn of the advancing orcs." After speaking, he lowered his head as much as he could, avoiding the darkening countenance of his liege at all cost.
There followed an explosive silence during which no one dared to speak, or for that matter, dared to draw breath.
"Legolas has gone after the troops, on his own?" Thranduil’s voice was very quiet but cuttingly clear.
"Yes, my Lord. He assured us that he was familiar with the ways of the woods and that he would be in no danger." The weary elf winced inwardly. The words sounded lame even in his own ears.
"He is familiar with the ways of the woods and he would be in no danger," Thranduil repeated flatly.
At that moment, another elf entered the room and approached the dais. It was Salque, alone. Thranduil’s heart sank into endless despair.
"My Lord," the seasoned warrior began, worry etched in the ageless elvish features. "Legolas is missing. He did not sleep in his room last night nor could I find him anywhere within the palace walls. I seek your permission to ride out to look for him in the woods."
"He is missing, indeed," Thranduil said tiredly.
"Adar, I will ride out immediately to search for him," Aldeon said. "He could not have gone far."
Thranduil shook his head and nodded toward the wary scout. "It was yesterday that Kamil saw Legolas. That means he should be almost caught up with the troops by now, assuming that he is still in one piece and breathing."
"Adar -"
"My Lord - "
Aldeon and Salque both spoke at once.
Thranduil held up a hand.
"My Lord," Salque was not to be put off. "Where is Legolas?"
"He has apparently taken it upon himself to go after the troops heading to the southern borders, to recall them. The rumours have been confirmed. The palace is under an imminent attack by an army of orcs numbered in the hundreds. And Legolas believes that it is his duty to head off the troops heading south and bring them back here. He is out there, alone."
Salque hung his head. "I have failed you, my Lord. I am sorry. I will ride out after Legolas and bring him back."
Thranduil regarded him silently and then laid a hand on the warrior’s shoulder. "It is not your fault. I know my son and it was only a matter of time that he should escape our grasp. I am surprised that it did not happen sooner."
"But Adar, he cannot be out there on his own -" Aldeon pointed out. "Let me go after him."
"He is my charge. I will go after him," Salque announced.
Thranduil once more held up his hand. "No, it is too late. Neither one of you will find him now. With the orcs amassing, it is too dangerous for any one to wander through the woods at this time."
"I cannot leave him out there on his own. I must ride after him," Aldeon said determinedly.
"And I with you," Salque concurred quickly.
"Neither one of you will ride after him. You will not find him. He made his choice when he decided to ride out on his own on this foolish errand. I need both of you here. We have a war to prepare for," Thranduil said flatly.
"Adar -"
Thranduil shook his head impatiently. "Speak no more. My mind is set."
Aldeon looked at Salque, seeing his own frustration and anguish reflected in the other warrior’s eyes.
"My Lord," Yaavie spoke up again. "Should we not send another messenger after the troops in case Prince Legolas does not succeed?"
Aldeon glared at the adviser. The fool spoke as if Legolas had already perished.
Thranduil nodded wearily. "Aldeon, send out three of your fastest riders. Their mission is to get the message to the troops, not to look for Legolas. Make that clear to them. And tell them to take extreme care."
"Yes, my Lord," Aldeon nodded and with all the reluctance in the world, left to carry out his king’s order.
Oh Legolas, what have you done?
TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List