Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fidelity  by Lily Frost

- - -

Fidelity

by Lily Frost

- - -

Chapter III: A Promise Made

Elladan nearly collapsed into his brothers arms when he arrived back in Elrond’s chamber. They were alone besides Elrond, who hadn’t moved at all in the time Elladan had been gone, and Sero, who was quietly tending Elrond. He was coaxing him to drink water by rubbing his throat, and seemed to disassociate himself from their dialogue.

“’Ro?” Elladan sobbed, “Please, I need you to swear something to me.”

“What is it?”

“If I ever, for whatever reason, do something as horrible as this - kill someone in such a gruesome manner, without due reason - please take my life.” Elladan’s implored, “I could not live with this on my conscience.”

“But ‘Dan... I could never raise my sword to yo--”

“Please, please... swear to me you will. I would not be myself anymore.”

Elrohir looked at his brother, working this through his head. He swallowed, and said, “I swear it, but only if you will do the same to me... should I ever take leave of my senses and become a threat.”

“Thank you.” Elladan rested his head on Elrohir’s shoulder, feeling relieved. Elrohir stroked his twin’s hair, his thoughts dark. Who could it be, and why?

Just then, the door to the room burst open and Arwen swept in, her travel-stained cloak furrowing behind her like a blue bird’s wings. “Ada!” She cried, and threw herself onto Elrond, touching him and kissing him, trying to wake him up.

“Arwen!” Elladan cried in surprise, “Why are you here already?”

“I was due back in three days, but I met a messenger on my way here, and he told me that there had been murders, so I hurried back and made it in two days. What is wrong with Ada?”

“We are not sure.” Elrohir squeezed her hand. “It looks like poisoning, but we are not certain.”

“Poisoning? By who? And why?”

“Ai, if only we knew, dear sister.” Elrohir shook his head, “We have had many murders of late, and all of humans. It may be someone who does not approve of humans living in Rivendell.”

“But that is preposterous! Any travellers, of any race, that bear no weapon against us, have always been welcome here.”

Elrohir shrugged. “I cannot think of any other reason they would have.”

“So what do we do?” Her sweet mouth was turned down into a frown, and her eyes were starting to water. Neither twin liked seeing their sister like this.

“We have doubled the guard, and many of the humans have left, for the time being. Rivendell is no longer a safe haven for them...”

“Sero?” Ecetince poked her head into the door. “Oh, you are all here! I am looking for a book, and Master Erestor and all the elves in the library do not know where it is. It is called ‘Rare Poisons of Harad’.”

“I have that one.” Elladan said, “It is on my desk in my chamber, shall I fetch it now?”

“Please do. I wish to look through it to see if I can find a poison that would cause these symptoms.”

Elladan left the room, and the others were left to continue the vigil over Elrond. Arwen’s turn was first, resting her head on the bedspread, still in her travel-stained garb.

- - -

And again, every night now, the memories return. Again I am in Sirion, and it is the First age still…

From beneath the table I watch as they drag my mother into the room by her hair, brutally yanking those golden locks I loved to play with when she carried me about. The men - human men that had aligned themselves with Feanor - forced her to the ground, and she saw me, but they did not. Her eyes were wide and she put a finger to her lips, telling me to be quiet, and then she slipped a red pendant into my hand.

Wordlessly, I hid it in my tunic and then shuffled deeper beneath the table just as she was dragged up again, and then flung into the wall. I heard the sickening crack of breaking bones and splintering wood as she struck the wall, and then I closed my eyes, trying desperately not to cry and alert them of my presence.

- - -

To be continued...





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List