Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Between Dawn and Dusk  by Lily Frost

Between Dawn and Dusk

III: Seeking Sunlight

by Lily Frost

        Dawn, cold and washed, reached reluctantly across Middle Earth's sky. Somewhere, deep in the mountains, two dark-haired warriors were mounting their horses, their minds bent on single purpose: the rescue and vengeance of the woman they cared for above all else; not a lover, sister or friend, but their mother. They were weary, exhausted even, travel worn, and wounded, but moving still with strength not of the body so much as of the will.

        Elrohir groaned as he heaved himself onto his mount. He hadn't intended to, but the wound on his side protested angrily as it rubbed against the inside of his tunic, no doubt inflamed and possibly infected.

        Elladan's gaze caught his, eyes grey as stormy skies meeting identical storms clouds in his twin's, lightening seeming to flash between them. "We can stop for a little while if you want to." He said slowly.

        "No we cannot." Elrohir amended, softly, grimly. "Not until we have found and rescued mother."


        "Will you hold out?" Elladan questioned, knowing that if Elrohir collapsed it would take them, overall, longer than if they stopped for a few moments now.

        "I will for as long as I can. Then you must go ahead alone."


        "And leave you?" Elladan questioned, alarmed at the prospect of going anywhere without Elrohir, especially with him as he was.

        "Promise me that you will..."


        Elladan thought for a moment, then reached a decision. "As long as you promise me that there will be no solitary heroics. When we reach her, let us charge together. I do not want you rushing ahead."


        Elrohir gave a mirthless laugh, "That sounds like something you would do, dearest brother."


        "We must do this together..." Elladan repeated.

        "Yes," Elrohir agreed. "We must rescue her." He fell into silent despair, and his voice suddenly lowered, alarming Elladan with the sheer hopelessness of it, like gazing down a dizzying cliff face and knowing that you're going to jump either way. "Each moment, 'Dan, each moment we waste is another that they have her in their filthy clutches."


        Elladan hung his head.

        "What have they done already, I do not know, but they will do more while I can still stand."

        "Very well. You know your limits."


        They lapsed back into that uneasy silence that had become natural during the last few days of their travel, now assuming the same pace they'd used the days before, stopping just enough to prevent their mounts from collapsing out of exhaustion, saving their strength for when they found the orcs that had taken her.

        Elladan at last broke the silence, shattering it like glass. "Do you think she is still alive, 'Ro."


        "I do not know."


        "You have the gift of foresight, tell me, can you see her?"


        "It does not work that way," He said, awkwardly. "the future is hazy."


        "Did they beat her? Did they mock her for being an elf?"

        Elrohir was silent.

        "Did they destroy her? Did they rape her? Did they pillage her body and molest her mind?" Elladan continued, not realizing that he wasn't being listened too. Not noticing the way Elrohir winced with some of the words. "'Ro, tell me, please, pray tell, is she alive?"


        "Quit asking me questions that I cannot answer!" Elrohir cried out, gasping and grabbing his side in pain. He nearly slid off his mount, but the mare checked her pace, pausing as she sensed her rider's distress.

        Elladan dismounted and was at his side in an instant, holding him upright and whispering soothing words that meant nothing.

        "I am sorry, you know as much as I do."

        "All I know for certain is that we must continue."

        "I know that too." Elladan said, and once he was sure that Elrohir could sit alone without falling off, he mounted his horse again and squeezed his heels just so against him, silently encouraging him to start. The horses resumed their pace.

        'Yes...' Elrohir thought. 'continue together.'
fin





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List