Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From the Bottom of My Heart  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Five - 2 Yule

Still cold to the bone, Merry crawled underneath the covers in his bed and at once curled into a ball for warmth. His feet were like ice. After a few twists and turns, they still felt like ice, which made it impossible for him to find sleep though he felt weary enough to sleep for a week.

Wrapping a blanket around himself, Merry got out of bed and sat in the rocking chair near the fire, feet propped up on a small stool towards the warm fire in the hearth. He stared at the flames licking up into the chimney; mesmerized by the glow of the cinders rising up into the dark void. The wood hissed and crackled as Merry finally found the warmth his toes so desperately sought.

Unexpectedly, as clear as a sunny afternoon in the Shire, his father’s face was before him, dancing with the flames in the hearth. Merry was not startled; he knew it was his fatigue manifesting itself in this manner. He began to study the face once more. The lines drawn around the mouth still did not have a story behind them, but it was the warm, beating heart beneath that drew his attention. He stared not at the lines of age around the eyes, but at the kindly expression the face held. The only thought that came to the tween’s mind was that this hobbit--his dad--nearly perished today. Moreover, it was all for the love of the lady who stayed with him through thick and thin. Merry decided he wanted that sort of love between him and his future wife, though he vowed he would not tread the same path in life that his father did. It was that love that Merry saw in the face of his father that suddenly inspired him.

Rising up from the rocking chair, still wrapped in the blanket, Merry shuffled over to the little alcove in his apartment that served as his office. It was a bit chilly in here, as the fire’s warmth had not reached there yet. No matter; he turned up the lamp, put another log in the fireplace, then set to making a cup of tea for himself. As the tea was steeping, he sat at his desk uncovering the half-finished portrait. His mother was complete, though his father still needed a bit of work--especially after the recent revelation in his sitting room.

Taking a deep breath, he picked up a piece of charcoal and began where he left off.

~ ~ ~

Salinda held a small candle to the right of Saradoc’s face, and then moved it slowly to the left, watching his eyes following the light. His eyes were no longer large, but were now their normal size. His color, too, had returned during the night. She smiled and turned to Esmeralda, “He’s going to be fine. Just make sure he stays in bed today, and keep him warm.”

Saradoc sighed in disappointment. “Of all days--today is our wedding anniversary.”

Salinda shook her head firmly, “You’ll just have to celebrate your anniversary in bed.” The healer blushed when she realized what she had implied. Picking up her bag and shawl, she wished the couple a happy anniversary and left. “If you need anything, you both know where to call for me.”

Once the outer door had shut, Esmeralda and Saradoc burst into laughter. “Oh, the poor woman!” laughed Saradoc, wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes. He smiled, looking at his lovely bride, “I would love to take her advice a little later, though right now I could eat for a month! I haven’t eaten since yesterday morning.”

“Then you should have something to eat right away, dear.” Esmeralda got up from the bed, went to the door and ordered a large breakfast for two from a servant stationed outside their quarters. However, when she returned, she had another young guest with her. “Look who I found outside our door!”

“I was about to knock when Mum opened the door. I have a gift for you both.” Merry handed his mother a long, narrow roll of paper tied with a red ribbon. “Happy anniversary.”

Saradoc remembered his little box. “Goodness, your Mum and I haven’t even exchanged gifts yet.”

“I can always come back.” Merry turned as if to leave.

“No!” Saradoc called out to his son, then motioned for him to come sit on the bed. “I want you to sit with us as we do,” he winked. “But would you please hand me my coat?” Merry gave his father the coat he had worn the day before to Haysend, and then sat on the bed.

Saradoc reached inside the breast pocket and pulled out a small wooden box. He cracked it open to make sure the items had not fallen out, then took the hand of his wife sitting next to him in the bed, and placed it in her palm. “Happy anniversary, love.”

Before Esmeralda opened the box, she noticed the smiles on her husband and son’s faces. “You know what it is, don’t you, Merry?” Merry only smiled back at her. Then she opened the box; her jaw dropped at the sight of the fine-crafted jewelry inside. She looked up at her husband, mouth still gaping wide. “Sara!” She held aloft a bracelet made of mithril attached to it was a charm made of the same material. Inlaid upon the charm were a large diamond and two smaller rubies on either side. Tears were welling in her eyes. “It’s so beautiful!” She leaned towards Saradoc, wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him.

“But that isn’t all!” Saradoc took the box and emptied the last item into his hand. He took Esmeralda’s right hand, and then slid onto her ring finger the same styled diamond and ruby ring. “The diamond,” He said, “represents us in our marriage; a symbol of strength and endurance. The rubies, represents each of our sons.” He then he smiled sadly as he latched the pendant around her neck, “Fortunately, they were born in the same month, so the stones match.”

Merry took pleasure in watching his mother embrace his father. Esmeralda whispered something in Saradoc’s ear, for his hearing alone. Saradoc smiled, hearing the sweet things his wife was saying.

Wiping away her tears, Esmeralda announced she had a gift for her husband. She walked over to their wardrobe and took something off a lower shelf. She hid her gift behind her back as she returned to the bed. “Close your eyes.” She waited as he shut his eyelids. Merry was delighted to watch his parents exchange gifts. Esmeralda held out the gift for her husband. “You may open them now.”

“Oh!” Saradoc gasped, holding up the dark blue smoking jacket that his wife had made.

Esmeralda was expecting a little more than ‘oh‘. “You don’t like it?”

Saradoc paused in examining the wonderful details of his new jacket. “Yes, I love it! It’s exquisite...but I thought you hated my pipe smoking. You said long ago that it nauseated you.” He held her hand as he spoke, “I had planned on quitting today as yet another gift for you.”

The last three months of painstakingly sewing every stitch into his monogram came to Esmeralda’s mind. “Oh, no you don’t!” She laughed, sidling up to her husband. “Besides, I’ve come to like the smell of pipe smoke again of late. I don’t know how or why, but...when you sit in the common room and smoke, I want you to think of me.”

Saradoc tenderly kissed his wife, “Always.”

Now it was Merry’s turn. He crawled over his dad and sat between his parents so both could view the portrait at the same time. He untied the red ribbon and carefully unrolled the paper. “It needs to be put in a frame,” Merry remarked.

Saradoc was amazed at the detail of both faces. He allowed his fingertips to lightly touch the strokes of charcoal on the paper. He squeezed Merry‘s shoulders, “This is truly marvelous, son. You are incredibly talented.” He looked over to his wife, “We have an artist in the family.”

Esmeralda was also viewing Merry’s portrait with wonder. Without missing a beat, she replied, “He gets it from my side of the family, dear.”

Merry covered his mouth as he yawned, rubbing his tired, and swollen eyes. “I worked all night to finish it after I stopped shivering.” He blinked wearily, leaning back onto his mother’s pillow.

“But the quality--” Saradoc still gazed wide-eyed at the portrait. “It all looks so real...right down to the circles under my eyes!” He smiled and touched his own eyes. “This is lovely, Merry--absolutely lovely. We shall treasure this forever.”

“You stayed up all night?” asked Esmeralda. “Goodness, lad, you must go straight to your own bed and get some rest!” However, when she looked back at her son, she found that she was too late; his eyelids were already closed, breathing deeply in sleep. She looked at her husband, whispering, “Should I wake him?”

“No, let him rest here,” he whispered his reply, quietly rolling up the portrait and laying it aside on the table along with his brand new smoking jacket. He looked at Merry and smiled.

Esmeralda grinned, “What are you smiling about?”

“Actually, it’s a joy,” he replied with a happy grin, “that is...well, unspeakable, and so I smile.”

“Speak it to me,” she said. “I’d like to hear it.”

Saradoc took in a deep breath before softly speaking, so as not to waken Merry. “Well, to begin with, I have my beautiful wife and our remarkable son here at my side. I have come through the last thirty years only because of your love and devotion. There were many times, Essie...” He faltered, “I am glad that you are here by my side today.” He squeezed her hand. “I love you.”

Esmeralda smiled warmly, and gazed into her husband’s blue eyes. She leaned in and gently kissed him.

As they kissed, neither one noticed the smile on Merry’s lips. 

~The End~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List