Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Conspiracy of Hobbits  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 13

As Wedmath passed into Halimath, the harvests began to come in. Like every other able-bodied hobbit, Merry and Pippin turned out to the fields as needed. Merry was enjoying himself immensely--if he had been at home, he would have been an overseer, as he had for the last five years.

As a guest in Tookland he could suit himself, and was having much more fun in the fields among the tweens and hired hobbits.

It was hard, back-breaking work. But nothing that could not be easily handled by a young and healthy hobbit lad.

There was singing, and much joking. Of course, light-hearted competition to see who could reap or pick the most, accompanied by wagers.

And there were hearty luncheons delivered to the fields by friendly farm lasses.

Best of all, he was so exhausted that when he went to bed at night, he was too tired to worry or fret about Frodo or Pippin.

 xxxxx

 On the tenth of Halimath, a letter arrived at the Great Smials, addressed to both Merry and Pippin.

My dear cousins--

I find that the time for my removal to Buckland is fast approaching. As both of you were kind enough to offer your help, I would like to have you come join me here as soon as possible, in order to begin the real work of packing out.

There is so much to do here, and I seem to have trouble getting started. Your presence would be a big help, even if it is just to give me a swift kick and tell me to get moving.

Bag End seems a bit melancholy right now. The new owners are quite anxious to take possession, and are breathing down my neck.

Do come cheer me up and give your old cousin a hand.

Your loving cousin,

Frodo

“New owners!” snorted Pippin. “Now that’s the nicest term I’ve ever heard for the S-B’s.”

“We’d better get on up there, then,” said Merry. “Why don’t you go show your parents the letter?” But Merry was disturbed. It was unlike Frodo to complain even as mildly as he had in his letter; if he had found reason to do so, then things must be dire indeed.

 xxxxx

When Merry and Pippin arrived the next day, they saw Sam in the front garden with a face like thunder, yanking plants from the bed beneath the front room window, and muttering to himself. He didn’t even hear them approach.

“Sam,” said Merry. The gardener jumped as if stung.

“Are you all right, Sam?” asked Pippin. He could not recall ever seeing Sam in a temper before.

“It’s them Sackville-Bagginses; that Lotho, he just left here about a quarter hour ago. He’s giving poor Mr. Frodo fits, he is.” Sam looked at Frodo’s cousins, and his anger fell away to be replaced by concern. “I’m right worried about Mr. Frodo. You might be able to cheer him up, I hope. He’s in the study, trying to sort through papers and books.”

“Thank you, Sam.” Merry and Pippin went inside to find their cousin.

When the two looked into the study from the doorway, they saw complete disarray. Papers and books were piled on every surface; but Frodo was sitting in the middle of the floor, his face as bleak as winter.

Pippin was frightened. He had never seen Frodo look like that before.

Merry had; but not since he was seven years old. Would what worked then work now?

“Pip, go on back out, and see if Sam can find something for you to do,” he whispered.

Pippin nodded, and went back the way he’d come.

When Merry was but a little lad in Buckland, he would sometimes find his Frodo looking just so, usually sitting by the Brandywine, staring at the river that had stolen his parents away. And he would comfort his cousin as best he could. He hoped it would still work now that they were grown.

He walked over and sat down next to Frodo, and put his arm around him, and whispered in his ear: “I love you, Frodo.”

And Frodo gave a shuddering breath, and returned his embrace, and ruffled his hair. Merry could feel the sorrow draining away from his cousin, who whispered back, as he always had, “I love you, too, Merry. Thank you.”

And Merry breathed a sigh of relief that it still worked.

 xxxxx

The next morning, Frodo slept late. It was nearly time for elevenses, and Merry was wondering if they should go ahead and wake him; he and Pippin had spent the morning bringing some semblance of order to the mess in the study, but what was to be done with much of it could only be decided by Frodo.

Just then, Sam stuck his head through the study door. “That one’s coming up the walk now, Mr. Merry.”

A moment later there was a sharp rapping on the front door.

Lotho Sackville-Baggins was taken aback when the front door was opened, not by Frodo, but by his younger cousin Merry Brandybuck. He saw the Took’s young son standing behind him, of course. Those two were always together.

“I want to see your cousin.” he said, without so much as a hello.

“I’m sorry. Frodo is resting right now, and I am not going to wake him.” Merry stood with his arms folded, and a grim expression on his face.

Lotho was oblivious. “Well, in that case, just let me come in. I want to take an inventory of the furnishings in the dining room.”

“No.”

“What? What do you mean ‘no’? I own Bag End now! Let me in!”

“No, you do not.” Merry’s expression did not alter by so much as a twitch, but behind him, Pippin’s face flushed in anger, and a dangerous gleam came into his green eyes.

Lotho still did not heed the signs. “I bought and paid for this hole, Brandybuck, and you’ve no right to keep me out!”

“I am aware that you have purchased Bag End, Lotho. I was one of the witnesses to the contract. I also know that by the terms of that contract, you may not take possession of this smial until the twenty-third day of Halimath. This is now the twelfth. You do not own Bag End for eleven more days.” Merry took a step forward, forcing Lotho to back up a step. “I am giving you fair warning now that until that date arrives, you are considered a trespasser, and we will be within our rights to physically eject you from this property if you set another foot here.” Now Merry raised a forefinger, and poked the shocked Sackville-Baggins in the chest.

“Furthermore, I consider that it is likely that your continued harassment of my cousin might be construed as breach of contract, and could negate the sale! My advice to you” and he advanced another step, with Pippin right behind him, and Sam stepped forward as well, “is to leave now.”

Lotho’s face went deadly white. He backed up a few more steps, said nastily “You’ll live to regret this, Brandybuck!” and turned and fled.

As soon as Lotho was out of earshot, Pippin gave a victory yell. “Whew! Merry that was magnificent!”

Sam grinned. “I wish we’d thought of that weeks ago!”

Merry just shook his head. “Frodo wouldn’t have done that.”

Pippin looked thoughtfully at the figure of their foe disappearing down the road. “Would that really be a breach of contract?”

“No,” said Merry, “I don’t really think so. But I hope it gives him a lot of nasty moments of worry to think about it.”

 xxxxx

Frodo did not waken until luncheon, when he appeared much refreshed. Merry sheepishly confessed they had turned Lotho away, and how. Although not a little taken aback by his cousins’ methods, Frodo was too relieved to rebuke them.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List