Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

When the King Comes Back ( Brandy Hall )  by Dreamflower

Merry and his father had talked the whole night through, so it was almost time for luncheon when he awakened. He dressed and went in search of food. He headed in the direction of the main dining hall, where the communal meals were served, usually second breakfast, luncheon and dinner. The other meals were normally less formal, and were mostly served in private quarters, or individuals would seek them out in the kitchens.

He noticed that his parents and many of the older Hobbits were not in attendance. It seemed to be mostly the younger cousins. He spotted Berilac, Estella and his cousin Doderic, serving some of the younglings, tiny ones not yet in their teens. He also saw that the fare was not as lavish as he was used to seeing in Brandy Hall. There were a couple of pots of soup, and some large platters of bread and roasted potatoes, but not much else: no cheese, no butter, no meat, and no fruit.

He came up behind Berilac and took a bread roll. “Beri, is this what you meant last night by ’short rations’?” he asked with concern.

Berilac nodded as he handed a bowl of soup to one of the children. “Yes, it is.”

“We have about a hundred refugees from the East Farthing here,” put in Doderic. “The older adults have taken to skipping lunch to leave more for the children and tweens.”

Berilac added “Also we haven’t been able to get our usual produce from our farmers in the Marish, such as Farmer Maggot.”

Estella noticed the stricken look on Merry’s face. “Oh, Merry! It’s not so bad as it looks, truly! It’s just your father being very careful with so many extra mouths to feed, and winter still to come. I’m sure things will be better soon!”

“They certainly will!” came Saradoc’s voice behind them. He put a hand on Merry’s arm. “I started sending messages across the Brandywine this morning, since, thanks to you, son, we no longer have to worry about the ruffians. Starting tomorrow we will begin to send folk home where they belong. I also expect to hear from our west bank farmers as well. You know, son, you came back just at the right time to save the day.” He patted Merry on the back.

Merry blushed at the praise, but he was very pleased to hear his father speaking so well of him, especially in front of Estella. “Thank you, Da.”

The others moved away to leave him alone with his father.

“Sorry, son, that there’s not much for lunch, but your mother’s told the kitchens to go all out tonight for a big celebratory dinner. And you can join your mum and me for tea in a few hours."

Merry waved the half eaten roll. “This will do me fine for now. I’ve been on much shorter rations than this in the Wild. Are you going to be working in your study this afternoon? I have something you need to see.”

“You’ll find me there in about a half hour, son.” Saradoc gave him another pat on the back before moving away.

Oh, it was good to be back with his family. He wondered how Pippin was getting on right now.

_____________________________________________________

At that very moment, Pippin was ambling back to the Smials after a nice ride. The letter from the king was in his father’s hands now, and he’d had a chat with his mother as he prepared for his ride. She’d agreed that it was well for him to get away for a few hours. Although he had told his close family all, he was not ready to talk about certain things with just anybody. He’d begun to feel very crowded.

It was nice to be alone for a bit, especially since Merry wasn’t there. He remembered once as a little lad visiting Brandy Hall, he’d fallen ill just in time to prevent his accompanying Merry on some errand. When his cousin had come to see him before leaving, he had sulked, and said “I suppose you’ll get someone else to go with you now.” Merry had laughed and ruffled his hair, and said “Not at all, you silly goose! If I can’t get you, why would I want anyone else?”

Suddenly there was a sharp thud, and Butter shied violently with a whinny of pain, yet he kept to the saddle, and was not thrown. Two Men burst from the trees to his right. But they were too far from the road to surprise him. His sword was in his hand in an instant.

“I warn you to stay back! I’ve felled a troll with this!”

The Men just cursed and laughed derisively. One of them was armed with a knife, the other carried a cudgel. The one with the knife tried to slash at the reins, and caught Pippin’s left forearm a glancing blow. With a flick of his sword, he sent the knife flying. Disarmed and dismayed, the Man moved away, cursing and shaking his stinging fingers.

The one with the cudgel came in swinging, but Pippin was already aiming a downward thrust in his direction, and he felt the blade sink home, just as the cudgel connected with his side. He grunted in pain.

The cudgel fell to the ground, as the Man stared with astonished eyes, clutching his bleeding belly with both hands.

“I did try to warn you,” said Pippin softly.

His companion grabbed the fatally wounded Man and half dragged him back to the trees.

Pippin sat breathing heavily for a moment, shaken. Then he looked at his sword. The blood was *red*, not black. He turned his face away and vomited. He wished Merry were here.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List