Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Result of Failure  by Estel_Mi_Olor

List of Characters:

Legolas: Come on

Thranduil: Legolas’s father and King of the Wood land Realm

Girithron: Legolas’s elder brother, the third child and second son of Thranduil. Is the heir to the kingdom as Thranduil’s eldest, Celeguir, was killed at Dagorland.

Brethil: The warrior who saved Legolas from an orc.

Adwanoth: Captain of the Palace Guard

Lalorn: Legolas’s mother

Hananuir: The third son and fourth child of Thranduil, one of Legolas’s older brother.

Gwiwileth: Thranduil’s only daughter and second child, Legolas’s sister.

Lebanuir: Guard who is assigned to watch Gollum. Was a friend to Hananuir.

Danuas: Another Elven guard.

Ivanneth: Thranduil’s chief Advisor.

Amarin: Scout of the Western Patrol.

Amirithin: Amarin’s brother, another soldier in the Western Patrol.

Morthil: The Commander of the Western Patrol.

The Result of Failure

Chapter Four:  The Consequences of Failure

It was the night after Gollum’s escape and the attack on the Palace Forest and the westernmost settlement of the Woodland Realm. The night was quiet, in comparison to the previous disaster. The Palace Guards were especially alert this evening. They had learned that their Realm was vulnerable. It was a bitter lesson, but one that had to be learned. Every elf was in his or her home, every child sleeping. The young people did not frolic about the trees; there was no singing or music. The night was still and silent. The lights were out everywhere, except one room in the Royal Palace.

Legolas could not sleep. He had paced about his room for hours. He had tried reading, but could not concentrate on the words. He kept hearing the stinging words of his father his mind. He kept remembering the murmurs of the advisors, the snickers of the guards, the glares of the nobles. He once again relived the disappointment in his father’s eyes and the shame on his brothers’ face. He remembered the tears in Gwiwileth’s eyes. He bowed his head, and closed he eyes. He was a failure.

 ***

The entire room rose as Thranduil entered, followed by Girithron, then Hananuir. Thranduil sat in his throne, while Girithron and Hananuir took up their places at their father’s right hand. Thranduil scanned the room, noticing his advisors sitting on his left hand side, and the group of nobles that stood before him. His eyes fell last upon Legolas, who stood before him, awaiting punishment. He noticed that his youngest child was pale, yet composed. He sighed and began his duty as Legolas’s king, not father.

“Prince Legolas. You have been summoned here to be punished for your actions pertaining to the creature Gollum, and his unfortunate escape. We know for certain that he has escaped our realm, and that the Orc attack in the West, and in our Forest was a diversion for his escape. Do you deny this?”

Legolas did not look down. “I do not, my lord.”

Thranduil hated the protocol of these punishments. It made him feel like he was condemning his son for life. He blinked and continued the tradition.

“We are also aware that this creature was placed under your care. It was specified by our person that all actions taken by him would be by your discretion, and therefore your responsibility. Do you wish to deny this fact?”

“No, my lord.”

“Very well. We therefore hold you responsible for his escape. Here is our punishment: you will be confined to the Palace for a year and a day. During this length of time, you will attend councils, and hearings, serving as an attendant to our person, Princes Girithron and Hananuir,” he gestured at his aforementioned sons, “and any member of our Advisors who requests your aid. You will be referred by no title nor will any rank be conferred upon you, save that of ‘Prince,’ and this shall only be used in the most formal circumstances. Do you accept this punishment as a consequence of your failure?”

Legolas quivered at the disappointment he heard in Thranduil’s voice, and saw on Girithron’s face. Hananuir’s face was more composed, yet Legolas knew his brother was not proud of him. He could not dare refuse.

“I accept this punishment.”

“Report to the Great Hall every day henceforth until your time has expired, or told otherwise. You are dismissed.” Thranduil rose, as did the entire room with him.

Legolas bowed and left the hall. As he made his way out, he heard the low murmur of disapproval that came from the advisors. He did not look down as the nobility in the antechamber glared at him. He did not flinch when one clear voice was distinguished from the general hum of conversation.

“He is failure to his Realm and King. He makes us all look bad, a disgrace to Wood-Elves, to Royalty, to Mirkwood.”

Legolas passed through the doorway. He heard the guard on his left cough to hide his snort, and the one to his right just snickered outright. He felt his cheeks burn as Gwiwileth, who had stood hidden in the shadows of the hall, came forward with shining eyes.

“Legolas.” She began.

Legolas turned away. He ignored her calls. He had been treated like a common thief. Stripped of his titles, Legolas was just another Elf. Forced to attend councils as an attendant, he was no better than a servant. He had failed, so very badly had he failed.

***

Legolas did not stir when he heard the door of his chamber creak open. He did not look up when he felt a strong hand on his shoulder.

“Iôn nín, I did not think you would be sleeping.” Thranduil waited for a reply, but when none was given, he sat beside his son on the bed.

“Legolas, look at me.” Legolas lifted his head. His eyes held the anguish he was feeling.

“I am sorry, iôn nín. It was not my choice to confer such a punishment upon you. But as your king, you deserved no less. You understand this? I could not act as your father then, but I want to now. Legolas, are you listening to me?”

Legolas shook his head wearily in agreement. He did not care to hear his father’s apology now.

“Legolas. There was nothing you could have done.”

“Hananuir said the same thing, Adar, but you are both wrong. I should have guessed!”

Legolas buried his head in his hands.

“Iôn nín, how were you to have known that this creature had contact with Orcs? That he indeed was capable of such acts. This is a lesson I would not have you learn so harshly. But, Legolas, we all have profited in some way by today.”

Legolas stared at his father in horror, appalled that the massacre he had witnessed could be considered profitable.

Thranduil nodded his head wearily at his son’s reaction. “We have learned that we are very vulnerable. Our defenses must double, and we must always remain alert. Every soldier knows this now, Legolas, if they did not already.”

“Adar, I could have kept a better watch over Gollum. He must have contacted the orcs when we were outside. I should have kept another guard nearby.”

“And then what, Legolas? We would have another death besides Danuas?” Legolas winced at the reminder of how this faithful soldier had died. The other Elves had found his body after the battle.

“He is in the Halls of Mandos, iôn nín, as are all those who have perished today. They will wait in peace, and then journey to Valinor.”

Legolas sighed. Thranduil put his arm around his son.

“Iôn nín, trust me as you once did.” Thranduil was rewarded when Legolas leaned into his embrace.

“Adar, I’m so sorry to have failed you. I will do my best to make this up to you. It is just that...” Legolas trailed off.

“That?” Thranduil prompted.

“That I seem to always do the wrong thing somehow. They are right, I am a failure. If I had not been there...”

“Legolas,” Thranduil interrupted. “You are wrong. It is not because of you. It is not only you that fails. We all fail. We all err. Not one of us is perfect. I am not perfect either. I have made my share of errors. I still make errors. So do your brothers, and those ridiculous courtiers who laughed at you. Yes, I heard them.”

Legolas inhaled the scent of his father, and was reminded of the days of his youth, the days where ‘ada’ was the great hero, who could fix any problem and heal any ill.

“I am sorry to be so much trouble.”

“It is not you, it is these dark days that we live in. Someday, Legolas, we will live in better times.” Thranduil looked off into the darkness, remembering days where the forest had not been so twisted, and failure did not matter so much.

“Adar,” Legolas brought him back to the present. “Thank you.”

Thranduil felt tears come to his eyes. He held his son close. Both father and son waited the dawn, thinking of better days, dreaming of a brighter future, and trying to forget the dark present.

 ***

Legolas sighed from his place in the back of the Great Hall. He sat on a bench next to the scribes who had to record the present meeting. Why did ruling have to be so tedious? He had been sitting thus all morning, while Thranduil, his Advisors, and the most important nobles debated trading policies with the men of Esgaroth. Thranduil and half of the other Elves thought that too many liberties were being taken with these men. They did not owe them anything. There was too much trade, and it was too expensive. The other half of them room argued nay, that there was too little trade. A heated debate had ensued and had been going on for hours.

Legolas was very patient, as all Elves tend to be, but his patience was worn thin with this useless argument. They are not stealing our gold, and we are receiving much needed supplies. The question of increase or decrease of trade does not benefit either side. Legolas stared at the ceiling.

His attention was diverted when a messenger entered the Hall, and scurried to Thranduil’s side. He delivered a letter to the King, and hurriedly departed.

Legolas watched his father as he read the letter. He saw Thranduil’s eyes widen at the contents of the letter. Unfortunately, Legolas was not the only one to notice this development. The argument had died, down and stopped altogether. The court was curious as to the contents of this letter.

“My Lord?” Ivanneth prompted. Protocol demanded that any information affecting the entire Realm be read to the court. Thranduil’s chief advisor was not one to forget protocol.

“Ivanneth?” Thranduil asked amiably.

Ivanneth was not one to be cowed by Thranduil’s deceptive friendliness.

 “Are you not going to read the letter, my lord?”

Thranduil grimaced. Why did such a thing have to be delivered at this time?

“Of course, Chief Advisor. It is from Lord Elrond, of Imladris. He writes to invite a representative of the Woodland Realm to a council he will be holding at the end of October. According to him, it is of great importance to Middle Earth.” Thranduil summarized the letter for his court. He had read in-between the lines, and gathered that something had been found, something dark and dangerous, and Elrond was at a loss at what to do with it. Thranduil had not forgotten his history, and he had a good idea of what it was that had been found.

Legolas had perked up considerably when he heard the contents of the letter. Even more so, when Thranduil had caught his eye, and with a barely perceptible shake of his head, had gestured toward his private study. Legolas could only assume that Thranduil wanted to see him. I wonder what else that letter says... Legolas turned his attention back to court.

Lord Elrond’s letter had been met with astonishment. “A council? For what purpose? Who shall go?” These questions were asked many times in the course of the next few minutes.

Thranduil raised his hand to evoke silence. “I will decide who is to go to this council. My decision will not be made today, however. I believe we have discussed all that is relevant for today?” He looked at Girithron, who was the Chief of the Realm’s Forces, and therefore occupied an important position at any meeting. When Girithron nodded, Thranduil continued.

“Ivanneth, if there is anything else you wish to discuss with me, you may see me in my office. This session is now dismissed.” Thranduil departed the Hall, followed by Girithron.

Legolas slipped out quietly while the court launched into another heated debate about trading rights.

He walked quickly to Thranduil’s office. His father and brother were already there when he arrived.

“Legolas,” Thranduil indicated a chair. When his son had seated himself, Thranduil continued.

“I have just sent a servant to summon Hananuir; he should be here soon.” Legolas attempted to make eye contact with Girithron, to see if his elder brother knew anything of the mysterious letter. Girithron avoided his gaze, and remaining staring at Thranduil.

Shortly afterwards Hananuir entered the study, apologizing for the time he took to arrive. Once he was seated next to Legolas, Thranduil began.

“I have called you here because I want you to read Lord Elrond’s letter.” He handed the parchment to Legolas, who shared it with both his brothers, as he sat between them. The trio read.  

Legolas looked up first. “Adar, I do not understand. What could Lord Elrond mean? What weapon does he speak of? We already know of the Nazgûl.”

“Think Legolas. What has the enemy lost, nearly two-thousand years ago, that he covets?”

Hananuir looked up at his father and paled. “It can’t be...”

Legolas gasped, he finally understood. “You do not mean...the Ring?” He whispered the last word, fearful to speak of such a deadly weapon.

“I do. It is my belief that it has been found. Sauron has rebuilt Barad-Dûr, this you know. His return signifies that the Ring still exists. He must be looking for it.”

“Father,” Hananuir protested, “We do not know for sure that it is indeed Sauron that had returned to Barad-Dûr.”

“Hananuir, do not waste my time with these petty arguments. Remember you Dol Guldor? He is back.”

Legolas shifted uncomfortably as Hananuir blushed at his words.

Girithron spoke for the first time. “But Aar, supposing indeed that Sauron is back and that his Ring has been found, then what good is a Council? How will words stop the Dark Lord?” Girithron had never much patience for diplomacy.

“Iôn nín, did you read carefully? Lord Elrond holds this Council to decide what course of action to take. He needs to represent all free peoples of Middle Earth because, much as I hate to admit it, this decision affects and included us all. We must all be aware of the choice at hand.”

“You mean to send one of us to represent the Woodland Realm?” Hananuir guessed.

“I do, and I have decided that you and Legolas will go.”

Legolas let his mouth fall open in shock, as Hananuir gaped at their father. Girithron started.

“Us?” Hananuir recovered the power of speech first. “Why?”

“I believe that no one less than a Prince of my house can be sent to represent my realm. This is an important council. Girithron cannot go; he has duties here.”  Girithron frowned at this judgment of his time, but did not speak. “Hananuir, you have nothing special to hold you here. Legolas, you should accompany your brother. I believe that your acceptance of your punishment shows that you can be responsible. Your presence will also show that the Woodland Realm is not to be ignored in something this important.”

Legolas stared at his father. He was going to Imladris? He was going to Imladris! “Thank you, Adar. I will not fail. This I swear on my life.” He brought his hand over his heart as sign of his fealty.

Hananuir hesitated for a second longer, before repeating Legolas’s words and gesture.

Thranduil looked at both his sons with pride. “I know you will do well.”

Girithron smiled at his brother, also with pride in his eyes. He did not appear to mind that he was not being sent on this mission. But, then again, Girithron preferred action to words.”

Thranduil waited until the initial excitement had died down before continuing. “We are now at the end of June. It should take you no more than three weeks to arrive in Imladris, by way of the Old Ford and the High Pass. You shall leave in the first week of October, and arrive in plenty of time for the council.”

All four of them looked up at a knock on the door. Ivanneth entered. Thranduil nodded at his sons, grimacing at the presence of the other Elf. Legolas and Hananuir bowed to both of the elder Elves, and departed. Girithron made to leave, but stayed behind as Thranduil motioned him to.

Legolas closed the door behind him with a thrill.  He was going to Imladris!

Adar- “Father” (ada- “dad/dy”)

Iôn Nín- “My son”

Naneth- “Mother” (nana- “mom/my”)

Valar- The gods of Middle Earth.

Muinthel: Sister

Muindor: Brother

Dúnadan: Singular form of Dúnedain, meaning Man of the West.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List