Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Result of Failure  by Estel_Mi_Olor

List of Characters:

Adwanoth: Captain of the Palace Guard

Annalith: Imladris Elf, healer.

Banuir: Another Imladris Elf, also a healer.

Brethil: the warrior who saved Legolas from an orc, and goes with him to Imladris.

Carad: Hananuir’s horse.

Danuas: Another Elven guard.

Faelthinor: Younger warrior and friend of Legolas, who goes with him to Imladris.

Girithron: Legolas’s elder brother, the third child and second son of Thranduil. Is the heir to the kingdom as Thranduil’s eldest, Celeguir, was killed at Dagorland.

Gwiwileth: Thranduil’s only daughter and second child, Legolas’s sister.

Hananuir: the third son and fourth child of Thranduil, one of Legolas’s older brother.

Ivanneth: Thranduil’s chief Advisor.

Ivrinaur: A healer in Imladris, a surgeon.

Jaeron: An Imladris captain.

Lalorn: Legolas’s mother

Lebanuir: Guard who is assigned to watch Gollum. Was a friend to Hananuir.

Legolas: Come on

Maen: Legolas’s horse.

Neldorin: Veteran warrior who accompanies Legolas to Imladris.

Oranor: Another Imladris Elf, helped carry Hananuir’s litter.

Paerith: Another Imladris Elf, helped carry Hananuir’s litter.

Ranael: New Woodland warrior, injured, in Gwiwileth’s care.

Srahalor: Leader of the Imladris Party.

Thranduil: Legolas’s father and King of the Wood land Realm

Thanks to Hisie Lome for beta-reading this. J

The Result of Failure

Chapter Eight: Epilogue

Gwiwileth hummed softly to herself as she checked on her patients. True, she was not a very good healer, nor the head one, but she enjoyed helping.

She smiled encouragingly at Ranael. He had just graduated to full warrior from being a novice. Unfortunately, he had been injured on his second patrol. An orc had cut him. However, the wound was shallow and Ranael would be back in service in a day or two.

She straightened from re-binding the wound and patted Ranael’s leg firmly.

“Give it one more day to see if it does not become infected, and then you may leave.”

Ranael grinned. “Thank you, Lady Gwiwileth! I know I will be more careful next time.”

“I know you will be.” Gwiwileth agreed.

She turned to leave the small infirmary room, but was intercepted by an excited messenger. She recognized him as the one who ran messages for Girithron.

“My lady Gwiwileth,” the messenger all but careened into her. Gwiwileth helped him to keep his balance.

“Is there bad news?” She asked quickly.

“Nay, Lords Hananuir and Legolas have returned to us from Imladris!”

“Oh!” Gwiwileth hastily picked up her skirts and set off at a run with the messenger at her heels. She arrived quickly at the Gate, joined a few minutes later by Girithron, and other curious Elves.

Gwiwileth quickly intercepted Girithron.

“Muindor, what have you heard? Are they well?” She demanded, barely containing her excitement to see her brothers.

“I have not had word, but they were spotted entering the kingdom early this morning. I had word from one of my Patrols.” Girithron also grinned with excitement.

“They should have been here sooner than that!” Gwiwileth exclaimed.

Her brother shrugged. “Perhaps there is injured among them.”

“Oh do not say such things! You would bring ill luck upon them?” Thranduil’s only daughter was prone to exaggeration, especially when it came to her family.

“Nonsense, sister.” Girithron never paid much attention to his sister’s notions.

Thranduil arrived at that moment, apparently in the middle of a meeting, for Ivanneth still trailed him talking impatiently. Thranduil looked considerably annoyed; however, he was doing an excellent job of ignoring his Advisor.

Ivanneth looked peeved, but had the decency to end his lecture. The sound of hooves reached the waiting crowd. Soon the party rode in, numbering five, exactly as they had left. Thranduil let out a breath he had not realized he was holding.

The riders dismounted to cheers from the assembled Elves. All five Elves approached the King, and bowed low.

“My lord,” Hananuir rose from his bow.

“Ion nín,” Thranduil embraced his child.

Girithron clapped his brother on the shoulder and moved to a blonde head, still bent.

“Lego-.” Girithron stopped mid-sentence, as the Elf in question bore no resemblance, other than his blonde hair, to his brother.

Gwiwileth inhaled sharply. “Where is Legolas? Hananuir, where have you left him?”

Neldorin quickly entered the conversation. “My lords, I believe you have much to discuss. I would beg leave for the rest of us.”

Thranduil could not conceal his worry. “You may leave as soon as you tell me who this is,” he indicated the Legolas look-alike. “Where is my son?”

The other Elf bowed low. “I apologize for the confusion, my lord. I am Srahalor. Lord Elrond thought it best if I were to accompany this party to account for the missing warrior.”

“Legolas is missing?” Thranduil barked.

“Well no, he is in Imladris.” Hananuir said soothingly. “Adar, let us discuss the matter inside.”

Thranduil frowned but changed his mind quickly. “Yes, we shall discuss the matter inside. Faelthinor, if you would please see to our guest. I would like to thank you, Neldorin and Brethil, for the safe guidance of one of my sons.”

Brethil blushed, but Neldorin bowed. “It was our pleasure, my lord. Please excuse us.”

Neldorin turned on his heel and left the courtyard, with Brethil, Faelthinor and Srahalor in tow. The other Elves began dispersing, wondering what had happened to Greenwood’s youngest prince.

“Here is Lord Elrond’s letter. I believe it summarizes what I have just told you.”

Hananuir handed the letter to Thranduil, who took it and ripped the seal open impatiently. The King of the Woodland Realm scanned the contents quickly. Frowning, he re-read the missive. The elf did not speak for many minutes.

Seated next to Hananuir, Gwiwileth shifted nervously. Girithron waited patiently next to Thranduil, shooting warning glances at his agitated sister. Finally, Thranduil spoke.

“Am I to understand that Legolas has been sent on this mission because Elrond asked him to? Have I taught him nothing? Hananuir, how could you let your brother do such a thing?!” Thranduil glowered at this third son.

“Adar, I…he…,” Hananuir stammered. He had been unprepared for Thranduil’s reaction. How could his father think that Legolas mindlessly obeyed the Lord of Imladris?

“You what? You have been gone long enough to cross all of Arda twice. You have been wounded. You return to me without your brother, and this simple letter informing me that my son has been chosen to go on some mission?” Thranduil lashed out.

“Adar,” Girithron interceded. “I do not think you understand what is being accomplished. Think of the destruction of the Ring of Power, and that of Sauron!”

“I understand perfectly well what is being attempted! How could I not? You speak rashly, Girithron. You were alive at the time of the Last Alliance. Remember you not the darkness that covered our lands? Your brother and my father were sacrificed for the darkness, think you I want to lose Legolas as well?” Thranduil stood, angered.

“Legolas is needed here. Now! He is needed to protect our people in the forest. Elrond has plenty of others that can go! Why Legolas?” Thranduil began to pace.

Hananuir exchanged a look with Girithron. He knew that his elder brother understood the matter. Gwiwileth still looked worried. Hananuir sighed as he made his decision. He reached into tunic and pulled out Legolas’s letter.

“Adar,” Hananuir cleared his throat.

Thranduil do not stop pacing, but switched his gaze from empty space to the face of his son.

“This is a letter from Legolas. I believe he explains his reasons better than Lord Elrond could.” Hananuir did not move as Thranduil suddenly strode across the room to snatch the letter from his son.

There was no sound in the room as Thranduil read the letter. A sharp intake of breath was the only reaction the Elven king gave. All three of Thranduil’s offspring scanned him anxiously, waiting for his answer.

Thranduil did not look away from the parchment as he turned on his heel and briskly left the room. He ignored Gwiwileth’s cry of “Adar” and Girithron’s exclamations. The door slammed harshly in reply.

Gwiwileth immediately turned on Hananuir.

“Well what did it say?” She inquired.

“Think you he read it?” Girithron snorted.

Hananuir glared mildly at his brother. “I did not read it, muindor. Perhaps it is not meant for us to know.”

This sobered Girithron. Gwiwileth cast her eyes down nervously.

Hananuir continued. “I, for one, wish Legolas luck, and I will ask the Valar daily to protect him.”

“I wish him luck as well, muindor. You are not the only one who cares about Legolas.” Girithron replied hotly.

“Hananuir, Girithron, please do not bicker. Adar needs us to be strong now for Legolas. We have to believe he will come home.” Gwiwileth’s voice quavered.

“Of course he will come home!” Girithron asserted. “Do not worry, muinthel,” he added more gently. “All will be well.”

Gwiwileth smiled sadly, but nodded at her brother’s words.

“I will make preparations for our dinner to be served in the breakfast room. Tonight is not appropriate for a court dinner.” She left the room briskly.

“Muindor,” Girithron turned and looked seriously at his brother. “Tell me now the truth. What are Legolas’s chances of survival?”

Hananuir considered his answer. “It is not hopeless. You know all who go with him, and I do not think any would fail. However, the mission itself is very risky. His chances are not great, Girithron, but they exist.”

“Yes, I suppose you are right.” Girithron sighed.

There was silence in the room.

“By all the Valar, Hananuir!” Girithron suddenly burst out. “Legolas has to come home! Adar would fade if he did not! We cannot endure another loss again!” He hit the arm of his chair violently.

“He will come home.” Hananuir appeased his brother. “There is hope for him, Girithron. We cannot despair in the light of hope.”

“I am sorry. I do not know what came over me. There is still hope.” The two brothers sat in mutual silent and frustration at the situation they faced. They could not help Legolas. They could only wait.

Adar,Please try to understand me before judging my actions. I know it must have been terrible for you to realize that I was not with Hananuir. There was no other way for this to work. I could not have come home. I was asked to participate in a mission, and I have accepted. 

I firmly believe there is good left in Arda and that this evil may be vanquished. We are not beaten until there are none of us left. Adar, I know the fight at home is desperate. Spiders are coming ever nearer to our settlements and the darkness does not easily relinquish what it has fought for. But instead of fighting the enemy at the outskirts, I am going to the center. I am going to its heart. The only way to kill evil is through the heart. I can do more good on this mission than I can at home.

Adar, you were alive during peace. You knew a time when constant fighting and training was perhaps, was not in our destinies. Elflings did not have to learn to wield weapons and how to kill. I was not so fortunate. I have never known a time when my constant worry was not the protection of others. Would you not let me have that? I want to guarantee a future free of strife for my family, and all the Elves in the Greenwood. Adar, if we were to succeed all of Arda would be free of war! Can you imagine this? I want to achieve this goal.  

I have learned much in my years training to become a warrior. I know well the lesson of failure. If this mission should fail, either because we are all killed or the Ring falls into Sauron’s hands, please do not blame any living creature. I will do my utmost to succeed and return to you, but if the Valar should not will it to be so, there is nothing I can do. You knew your sons would be taken from you into battle. Is this any different? If I am taken, do not fall. Remain the strong leader I know you to be.

I do not despair, Adar. If I can face my fate with hope, you can also. I do not believe this mission is destined for failure, or I would not have become part of it. You have taught me too well for me to consider doing otherwise. Look at the stars at night. I will look up at them and picture home. Send all my love to Gwiwileth, Girithron and Hananuir.

May peace go with you for all eternity,

Legolas

Thranduil blinked several times after reading the letter from Legolas. Strangely, he did not feel angry. Instead, the Elven king felt numbness in his body. It felt as if a part of him had been removed. Somehow Thranduil had lost what he had taken the most care of: his youngest son. The elf had sworn, after Lalorn’s death, to take better care of his family. Somehow Thranduil had failed.

Thank you all who have read and reviewed my first fic. I hope to have another one coming out soon. Please remember to leave a review! And one last special thanks to Hisie Lome.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List