Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Fifteen - One Month Later…

“Why Esmeralda! You look different today!” A young Eglantine laughed, while peeking around the old willow tree where she would meet her friend while Paladin was confined to his room. Normally, this is where she and Paladin would meet for a little privacy away from their families. A heart had been carved out in the bark with hers and Paladin’s initials in it.

Paladin stood up at the sweet sound of her voice. “Hullo, Tina.”

She eyed him teasingly, “So the prisoner has been set free--or did he escape?” She took the envelope he held out to her.

“Set free, it seems,” he said. For a moment they only looked in each other’s eyes. “I missed you.”

“And I you.”

Paladin leaned in and kissed her cheek. Eglantine held his face as she kissed him on the lips under the shade of the willow branches. They held hands as they walked among the colorful trees in the meadow.

“I have a gift for you, but I must ask that you keep it hidden.” Paladin went into most of his journey the month before. He then opened up his rucksack that he brought with him, and took out the little treasure he found on the sands of the Grey Havens.

Eglantine took the seashell, knowing she had never seen the like of it. “What is it? It’s beautiful!” She kept turning it around, eyes sparkling at the ornament in her hands.

“It used to be a sea-creature’s home, but it seems he left it behind. Elrohir said I could keep it.” He saw her questioning gaze at the elf’s name. “Just someone who was there.”

She smiled mischievously, “You keep it for me, Paladin; give it to me as a wedding gift.”

“But that’s a long way off.”

Tina chuckled, “It is, isn’t it? But I will wait patiently for it.”

Paladin smiled, “The wedding, or the gift?”

“For both, silly boy.”

Paladin squeezed her hand, “Will you ride with me to the Smials for a short visit with my Uncle Isengar? I promise to bring you back home before supper.”

They rode double on Paladin’s pony, Dumpling, towards Great Smials. He received a letter from his dear uncle requesting him to visit as soon as he was able. Paladin had taken Eglantine to visit Uncle Isengar with him on occasion before, and since it had been a long time (to Paladin) that he had seen either of them, he wanted to take her this time as well.

“Hullo, Paladin! Come in, come in!” said Isengar, opening his door. “I was beginning to wonder if you would come at all. Addie’s been here all day with his new friend. Come and meet her.”

Her? Paladin and Eglantine exchanged looks of amusement as they walked further into Isengar’s quarters. When they entered the sitting room, they saw Adelard Took and Niola Silverspoon sitting on the couch quite comfy and close together.

“We’re free!!” cried Addie, laying aside his pipe and taking his cousin into a tight hug. “I’d like you meet--well, you’ve met her already, but this is Miss Niola from the Red Robin Inn where her father is the landlord.”

“Pleased to meet you, Miss Niola,” said Paladin with a slight bow. “And at your service.”

“And I at yours,” replied Niola. “Is this the wonderful Tina I’ve been told about?” The two lasses left the lads to themselves while chatting and getting to know each other across the room.

Paladin now noticed the familiar furry feet of yet another hobbit who was sitting nearby. “Bilbo!” he shouted, then flung his arms around the elder cousin. “Father won’t allow me to leave Tookland yet to visit Hobbiton. I was beginning to fear it would be spring before I saw you again. I‘m sorry I missed your birthday.”

“I couldn’t wait until spring, either, my boy,” said Bilbo, bringing out the package Gandalf had given him on the Road a month previous. “I’m sorry you missed my birthday, too. Here is my gift to you--I gave Addie his already.”

“Bilbo!” Paladin wasted no time in ripping the package apart. **“They’re painted ponies! And this one looks just like Dumpling!” He gasped to think what they might have cost the giver. “I don’t know what to say, Bilbo…but thank you.” He hugged Bilbo again. “I shall treasure these forever--because they’re from you.” Paladin looked around the room, seeing all of his closest friends--and Tina. “This is the grandest reunion I can ever remember.” He took his ponies to Isengar for him to view them.

“Lovely, my lad.” said Isengar, sitting next to him on the couch smiling, combing back Paladin’s chestnut curls, “My lad.”

Paladin smiled sadly. He saw all the years of smiles, tears, laughter, and adventure in the old hobbit’s eyes. He would miss his uncle terribly when he passed on. Paladin pushed those melancholy thoughts away. He enveloped his dearest uncle in a tender hug, “Yes, I’m your lad, Uncle.”

* * * * * *

“And that is the end of the story,” said Paladin. Once again, he gave a sleeping Pippin over to Pearl so he could stand up to get the blood flowing in his legs. He looked at the clock over the mantelpiece; ten o’clock.

“Didn’t anyone in the Shire ever discover that you went on an adventure?” asked Pimpernel.

“No,” Paladin replied, “that’s the funny thing; they all thought we went tramping on a fishing trip in the Northfarthing. I suppose if they had seen us with Gandalf and the elves, then yes, there would be no hiding from the scorn of the townsfolk.” He crouched down to wake up Pervinca and Merry.

“I’m awake, Uncle Paladin,” Merry replied, opening his eyes just as Paladin was coming to nudge him. “I was just resting my eyes. Come to think of it, which of your painted ponies looks like old Dumpling?”

“The dapple one,” he answered, taking slumped Pippin into his arms again as they all walked wearily to the bedrooms.

So many long years, he thought, since his little expedition to the Sea. Now he was a husband to his sweetheart Tina, and the father of four beautiful children, though it should have been six, he thought sadly. He looked at Merry and smiled; his fifth child, he mused. “All of you get into your nightclothes and I’ll be around to tuck you into bed.”

After helping Pippin change into his nightshirt, Paladin tucked the blankets around the bed then kissed him. “Good night, Pippin. I love you.” The little lad is tuckered out, he thought.

Pippin yawned, “’night, Papa. Love you, too.”

Starting with Pearl, then going on down the line, Paladin made it to Merry’s room. There were several candles still lit; Paladin blew out all save one. The low fire in the small hearth would provide enough light. He poked at the embers then laid a couple more logs on the fire. As with his own children, Paladin tucked all the blankets around his nephew, but knowing Merry was awake, he sat upon the edge of the bed. “Did you need to talk tonight?”

Merry looked at his favorite uncle, “No. Not tonight, I think. Perhaps tomorrow.”

Paladin sighed. “Are you certain?” Merry nodded. “Very well, then,” he answered, leaning down to kiss him good night, he felt Merry wrap his arms around his neck. Paladin pulled his nephew up and held him for a few minutes, “But you need a hug, eh?” He felt Merry nod again. After a while he loosed Merry and laid him back down. Merry was already looking more cheerful.

“Thank you for the story, Uncle Paladin,” said Merry.

“Did you believe any of it?”

“Not a word,” Merry quickly answered, then grinned at his uncle. Paladin laughed; now that’s my Merry, he thought to himself.

Then he heard the door open up, and in walked Pippin straight up to Merry’s bed. Merry opened his blankets for his little cousin to climb into bed with him. It was as if there was a routine to all of it. Paladin merely scratched his head; this was one argument he really did not want to win. He repeated his efforts from earlier, scrunching the blankets into the mattress, then kissed both boys goodnight.

Before retiring to bed himself, Paladin made a quick trip into his study. There on the bookshelf sat two ceramic ponies. One painted a solid brown, the other a dapple. He picked up the dapple pony, gliding his fingers over cool figurine, for a moment reliving the happy reunion a long time ago. He smiled at the memory, carefully placed the pony back on the shelf, and then headed for bed.

~~ THE END! ~~

Thank you to everyone who read and reviewed. A special thank you to a few good friends who contributed: Pearl Took (Pippin snuggling) and Grey Wonderer (the gift-giving), and Pervinca (alas! No Paladin-Tina love story any time soon, but I put a bit there for you at the beginning of the chapter!) **The ceramic ponies debuted in The Simple Life, posted on ff.net, and made a cameo in All Joking Aside.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List