Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirteen - Sad Partings

“You’re a bit warm, my dear.” Paladin smoothed away the locks from her forehead while feeling for warmth.

“Oh, Paladin,” Eglantine replied, with weariness in her voice. “It’s nothing. You’ve been minding the children all day; you must be exhausted.”

“It’s ‘nothing’ now because you were a good lass and stayed in bed all day.” He set the supper tray on the bed next to her, then kissed her brow.

“But how are the children behaving? Are they fussing a lot? They’ve been indoors for several days now.”

“They are behaving very well, I’ll have you know. I’m telling them a grand old story,” he smiled, holding her hand. “I can manage five young hobbits, so don’t you worry.” He failed to mention the upheaval taking place before he began the story.

“What is the story you’re telling them?”

“It’s about the time I went off with Bilbo and my uncle for a few days--you remember that, don’t you?”

“Yes, very much; it was almost a month before I saw you again. And I got only four letters during that time. I was wondering more at what happened to Addie,” Eglantine smiled mischievously. “It was he that I was in love with--I looked forward to him bringing your love letters to my doorstep! But bless your dear sister--if it wasn’t for her, I would have received no letters at all--nor you either. You never did tell me everything that went on during that time,” she said wistfully, looking over to the pink sea-shell lying on her vanity.

“There are plenty more cold rainy days before spring, my love,” answered Paladin. “I must get back to the children before they become restless.” He bent down and kissed her. “I shall send Dahlia in to keep you company for a while.”

Back in the sitting room, there Paladin found the children settled around the tea table once again, but eating their supper this time.

“This is fun,” said Pervinca. “May we do this again tomorrow?”

“I don’t think so,” her father answered, slicing the meat on Pippin’s plate into bite-sized pieces. “Hopefully the rains will have stopped and all of you children can go outside, then later come in and eat properly at the kitchen table.” He smiled at the possibility of the children getting out of the smial and into the sunshine. No fussing!

Pearl and Pimpernel exchanged looks; they wanted the story to continue. “I think you left off with Auntie in the garden with Uncle Saradoc and Aunt Mirabella.”

“Ah, yes,” Paladin set his mind back on the story path. “I could see two hobbits in the Road…”

* * * * * *

Paladin could see two hobbits in the road ahead. He steeled himself for the verbal lashing that was soon to follow. He, Adelard, and the entire group, subtract one Thorongil, were nearly to the western border of the Shire after departing the Grey Havens shortly after the little boat arrived at the landing. Paladin found that he missed his home; he enjoyed very much the sand and the sea, but he truly missed home. “Oy,” he put his head in his hands. “I won’t see daylight for months!”

“Perhaps they’ll be kind and lock us in a prison room together,” Adelard chuckled.

“You’re not funny, Addie.”

“I thought I was,” Addie said, emptying his pipe. “I say the sooner we meet them, the sooner it’s all over with.” Apparently, twenty-nine-year-old hobbits were as subject to “fatherly concern” as were the younger tweens.

“Young lads who go on adventures ought to expect a bit of retribution upon their return, shouldn’t they Isengar?” Gandalf grinned at the Seahobbit.

Isengar shifted uncomfortably in the saddle, “I don’t remember.”

Bilbo laughed derisively, “No…you’ll merely be laughed at and called names behind your back, though they often get told in front of you, too.”

Paladin was getting nauseous, “You’re only trying to frighten us, aren’t you Bilbo?”

“I’m only trying to prepare you, boy,” said Bilbo, “for the days ahead if folks in these parts discover you’ve been abroad in foreign places.”

Adelard drove the cart while Paladin sat next to him. Isengar and Bilbo once again rode double upon the horses; Isengar with Gandalf, and Bilbo with Elladan.

“Whoa!” cried Adelard, pulling up on the reins. Taking a deep breath, he gave a nod to his close friend. They both hopped down out of the cart to face their fathers.

~ ~ ~

Adalgrim stood next to Flambard in the middle of the Road, arms crossed in anger. That Bilbo! He would tell him plenty before the day was done. And his Paladin! Adalgrim was seething at his son’s obvious deception. Camping indeed! He was planning on telling them all a thing or two about taking young tween-aged lads far from home.

Flambard stood silently next to his cousin in the Road. For his part, he would wait until Adelard gave full account of what he did and why. No need to humiliate his boy until all was said and done. Both hobbits awaited the procession coming toward them with trepidation.

Once the travelers had stopped in the path before the two hobbits, the young tweens were first to approach them. Adelard was first, “Hullo, Dad.”

Flambard threw his arms around his son and held him, tears streaming down his cheeks. “You’re home,” he kept whispering.

Adelard wept, too, now seeing the grief on his father’s face.

Paladin stood a safe distance in front of Adalgrim, unsure of what sort of greeting he would receive after the deceitfulness he pulled. The air was tense as these two faced off.

Without warning, Adalgrim pulled his boy into his arms, weeping. All his anger was spent on worrying; yes, Paladin would reap the benefits of his disobedience, but he was now once again safe in the arms of his father.

“Father, I--” Paladin began.

“Not now, son,” replied Adalgrim. He looked up at Gandalf and Bilbo, “I’m taking my boy home now.”

“But Father! I--” One look from his father silenced Paladin.

“I trust you can help Isengar home?” Though it was not really a question, but a charge from Adalgrim to his cousin Bilbo. Adelard untied his pony all ready and packed for the trip back to Great Smials. Paladin ran back for his own rucksack then hoisted himself into his father’s saddle as instructed. Flambard and Adelard did much the same.

Turning round in the saddle, Paladin waved farewell.  "Goodbye, Gandalf," he shouted sadly, sorrowful of the partings.  He wanted to say more, but never had the chance.

Gandalf sat in his own saddle watching the fathers and sons ride off down the Road. “Do me a favor, Bilbo.”

“Yes, Gandalf?”

“Keep an eye on those two lads,” he answered. “Not because I fear they have seen too much, but because they are good lads; they may need your friendship when all of this is over.” He knew Bilbo had few close friends, and Bilbo’s watching over Adelard and Paladin would be a way for them to all come together.

~TBC~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List