Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Birthday, A Cold, A Memory and a Gift  by Zebra Wallpaper

A Birthday, A Cold, A Memory and a Gift: Epilogue

As Frodo rode alone down the Stock road early the next morning, something caught his eye from the woods and he stopped. He sighed at the sight of his friend and smiled softly as the wizard emerged from where he had been walking beneath the trees, unseen by other eyes.

"Were you coming to see me, Gandalf?"

"I will be soon enough, my dear Frodo, but for the moment I have other business that I must attend to."

Frodo nodded. "That is good then."

"Indeed," Gandalf replied. Then he looked carefully at the hobbit’s face. There was something changed there that he recognized, a relief that had been absent before.

"You are ready now?"

"I am," Frodo admitted, "All of me is at last. I can leave them and they’re going to be all right. And I believe they will understand that I must go."

"They will," Gandalf agreed. "And I’m glad that you will go with an easeful heart."

"Well, it will still be hard, but it will be all right." Frodo’s eyes were mournful but unwavering.

"It will," Gandalf patted his shoulder with finality. "But now I mustn’t delay you on your way any longer. Samwise will be worried."

Obediently, Frodo twitched the reins and his pony continued its leisurely pace.

"Goodbye for now, Gandalf," he called, "I’ll see you soon."

"Take care, Frodo Baggins."

Then the wizard returned to his path in the woods heading up toward Buckland and the hobbit carried on his way steadily down the road to home.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List