Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit From Mayor Samwise  by Zebra Wallpaper

Author’s Note: This was my first attempt at writing a fanfiction story, after having just read the Tolkien books for the first time a few weeks earlier.  I was not overly-familiar at the time with the conventions of hobbit fanfiction and went with the idea that the offices of "Thain" and "Master" were more ceremonial titles than job positions and therefore, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for Merry to still be residing at Crickhollow for a while when he takes on the title of "Master," although it would be unusual and a bit frowned upon.   Although I would probably believe differently now, it made sense to me at the time.  I hope this quirk doesn't detract from your interest in the story.

Disclaimer: These characters and places are not mine.

Setting: The house in Crickhollow shared by Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took. The year is 1432 S.R. Merry has just recently become the new Master of Buckland and is 50 years old. Pippin is 42. Sam is 52. Faramir Took is not yet 2.

A Visit From Mayor Samwise

Chapter One: "Of Old Friends and Breakfast"

By Zebra Wallpaper

The sun shown brightly through the windows of the Took-Brandybuck house at Crickhollow.

Pippin woke up squinting.

He smiled almost immediately, though, at the sight of young Faramir, sleeping soundly in the crook of Pippin’s arm. Careful not to disturb his babe, Pippin leaned forward and put a gentle kiss atop his son’s fair, curly hair. Generally, Faramir slept in his small bassinet, but when Diamond was away, Pippin indulged and took Faramir into the big bed.

Diamond Took had left Crickhollow two days earlier in the company of many sisters and cousins on a shopping excursion to Hobbiton where the First Annual Textile Fair was to be held. All the womenfolk of the Shire with interest in the sewing arts were much excited about the fair. It was said that there would be many new fabrics and trimmings, the likes of which had never before seen in the Shire, but which would be available now for first time because of a recent boom in trade with outside areas such as Bree.

Diamond in particular was intrigued by the prospect of the textile fair, for she was greatly skilled with a needle and had long been admired for the artistry in her handiwork. Indeed, the garments she turned out did not have the standard sturdy hobbit look to them. Sometimes they were astoundingly elaborate, most particularly in the embellished articles she made for Pippin, which she worked on passionately as a show of love.

Pippin wore his Diamond goods with a great sense of pride but it was often the whisper behind hands that it looked somewhat ridiculous for a hobbit to walk about dressed in such colors and fineries, but nothing much further came of the whispers, as most were of the opinion that there had always been little about Peregrin Took that was not somewhat ridiculous.

There was a light tap at the door and Pippin rolled over just as Merry entered.

Merry did an admirable job at not choking at the site of Pippin’s new nightclothes, which were of a decidedly un-hobbit-like material, wildly embroidered with pictures of birds and flowers. Though Merry did not laugh, however, he could not suppress a smile at noticing that young Faramir Took was clad in an identical, if smaller scale, set.

Pippin interpreted the smile as one of awe, rather than amusement, and swelled with pride. No one could look upon his son and not be amazed at such a specimen of perfection.

"Come on, now, Pip," Merry whispered, "Sam’s up and breakfast is nearly ready. Wash up quickly and be a proper host."

"Sam got here, then?" Pippin asked, rising from the bed and walking to the alcove where the wash basin stood.

"Of course Sam got here. After you never returned from ‘tucking in Faramir.’" Merry rolled his eyes.

Rose Gamgee’s sisters and cousins had all arrived at Bag End that week in order to attend the Textile Fair and Sam had been driven-out by the womenfolk, encouraged to spend a few days visiting his friends up in Buckland. Late in the evening he was supposed to arrive, word reached Crickhollow that there had been a delay at Bucklebury Ferry when a pony had slipped down the banks into the river.

The situation was quickly mended, but Sam did not arrive until some many hours after he was due. This was also sometime after Pippin had gone to put Faramir to sleep and had fallen asleep himself, as he was often guilty of doing, leaving Merry and Estella nodding off in the front room.

Merry thought of saying something to Pippin about his irresponsibility, but it melted on his tongue. He had always found it difficult to stay annoyed for long with the cousin he loved so dearly.

Instead, all he said was: "Be quick now, or I’ll have Estella feed your plate to Samwise. I imagine he’s quite famished."

Pippin did not reply but brought his head up from the washbowl and shook his wet locks wildly, drying them in the manner of a dog, while standing just a tad too close to Merry.

Merry squawked and leapt back.

Pippin grinned and walked away to get himself dressed, pausing only to pull the curtains tighter, lest the sunlight bother his sleeping Tookish angel.

~~~~

The voices from the kitchen were bright and cheery-sounding to Pippin as he padded through the tunnels in their direction. It sounded especially good, he thought, to pick up Sam’s voice among the usual. They had not seen each other since Sam gave his mayoral speech at a wedding feast in Tookland several months back and Sam himself had not been out to Buckland in more than two years.

Pippin rounded the last tunnel and entered the sunny kitchen and greeted all with a series of quick bows, as he was in a rather playful mood.

"Good morning, Mayor Gamgee and to you as well, Estella and, of course, Master Magnificent."

"I think it’s a title most duly earned," Merry replied with a grin. "Tea, Sam?"

"Indeed," Pippin sat down and unfolded his napkin, "Not two nights ago I heard them saying at the Inn that it was but a shortening of the more proper title."

Merry seemed amused as he began passing the great platter of toast around the table. "And what would that be?"

"Meriadoc the Magnificently Expanded."

There was much laughter around the table at this, for it was well known that Estella Brandybuck rivaled none but Rose Gamgee when it came to kitchen skill. And no offense was taken by Master Merry as proper bellies were viewed often as a mark of distinguishment in the Shire and well considered also a sign of proper hobbit health.

"Better," he smiled, "than Peregrin the Pathetic?"

Pippin nodded happily as a heaping plate of eggs, taters and bacon was placed in front of him. "Though I do believe I shall soon have to have that title amended to Peregrin the Plump if Estella has her way."

"I would prefer it that way, myself," Merry looked on warmly at his cousin. Pippin had always been rather slight for a hobbit, at times downright frail, but the worries of old seemed distant on a morning like this and, too, the unexpected height he’d gained during the War of the Ring gave off a comforting illusion of bulk, if not the real thing.

The conversation and mood remained light and their attention turned to breakfast. It was a delightful feast and all were glad once again that Estella had no interest in sewing. All ate happily and listened as Sam relayed between bites the occurrence with the pony at the ferry.

As they finished and sat back before their empty plates, Estella turned toward Sam. "And how is Rosie, Sam?"

"Rosie is quite well, thank you."

"And how are Frodo and Elanor?" Merry inquired.

"Fine as well."

"And the baby?" Estella continued.

"Little Goldi is right as rain."

"And fair as a flower I hear," Estella smiled.

Sam blushed with pride.

"And what about little Rose? And Little Merry, too?" Merry asked.

"They are both quite well and growin’ fast, I must say."

Pippin crossed his arms against his chest. "And what about the most important of all? Dear Sam, how is my namesake?"

Sam laughed. "He’s right delightful, Mister Pippin."

"Good thing the lad shares nothing more with you than his name, eh, Pip? Sam’s a lucky one there." Merry poured himself another cup of tea.

"Well, that name is quite important to me," Pippin explained cheerfully, "I had to wait an awful long time for it to come about. Three married sisters have I and what do they give me but flocks of nieces. Then Sam here is good and productive and I think I have a chance, but what does he do but have two lasses and a Frodo! I can forgive the Frodo, for even I’ll admit that seems just right, but then, the day I’m to be married I hear the Mayor is late to the ceremony for he’s just gotten himself a new son and I think to myself, ‘How wonderful! A namesake will make quite an appropriate wedding present.’ And what do you do, Sam, but name the poor child after Merry!"

Merry shook his head as he rose to help Estella clear the table. "I’m sure Sam is sorry for having caused you such agony and distress, Pip, but maybe you can find it in yourself to forgive him and allow him a glimpse at your own well-named heir."

At mention of his son, Pippin’s face lit up.

"Of course! How rude of me not to offer sooner. Come, Sam. He’s still napping, as it’s quite early for a Took to rise, but you may spy him. He’s rather exquisite."

"My modest cousin," Merry murmured as Sam and Pippin left the kitchen in the direction of the Took wing of the house at Crickhollow.

~~~~





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List