Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All Joking Aside  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Five - Bridling the Tongue

“Look, Merry--an envelope for Merimas.” Pervinca sat down on one of the couches in the main sitting room.

Merry was stretched out on another when he heard his cousin enter. He answered while never taking his eyes away from the book he was reading. “Fine. Put it on the table--I’ll give it to him later.”

Pervinca saw the return address on the envelope; it was from Merimas’ sister, Melilot. Pervinca was very friendly with Melilot and Mentha ever since she was a young girl when her father would take the family to celebrate Yule at Brandy Hall. Living at Great Smials now, Paladin was now obliged to attend a good many Yule holidays at home. “Why not now?” she asked.

“Because I’m reading now.”

“Meriadoc Brandybuck, you are the laziest hobbit I know--besides Pippin!”

That grabbed Merry’s attention. “Now wait just a minute,” he answered. “You didn’t think I was lazy when I delivered to you the new rocking chair you purchased for your room--nor when you needed someone to stand on chair and pound a couple nails into your wall so you could rearrange the tapestries in your room. Or back in Whitwell, when we were all helping Uncle Paladin in the fields; you got tired and flushed so I took your basket and filled it up right alongside with my own. How about the time--”

“All right!” Pervinca cut him off before he could think of more instances. True, she did ask him for a few favors recently, and he normally did help when asked. Yet the more she looked at the envelope, the more her curiosity grew. “Very well then, I’ll take it myself!”

“I knew it.”

“Knew what?” she inquired.

“You’re being nosy again.” Merry grinned mischievously behind the leaves of the book.

“I am not!” she retorted. “I only--I only wanted to see…,” Pervinca had to think swiftly. “I only wanted to ensure Merimas received his posts.”

Merry jumped up and took the envelope out of her hands and read the addresses. “This is from Mel!” he smirked. “You want to know if she’s been invited to the party, don’t you?”

“No…I--I…,” Pervinca stammered her reply. She could never fool Merry and it infuriated her to no end. She grabbed the envelope back from her cousin’s hand and lashed out, “You are a lazy, lazy hobbit, Meriadoc Brandybuck! You could have taken it to Merimas for me, but no! You would much rather lay here on the couch reading your herb lore books--and probably end up snoring all over the pages!”

Merry was never this easily offended, but for some reason Pervinca’s words cut right through his thick skin and down to the marrow. He quietly picked up his book and started to leave.

Pervinca saw the terrible effect of her outburst. “I’m sor--” She put her hand on his shoulder as he walked past her, but he jerked it away.

Merry turned to her in response, “What has gotten into everybody? Yesterday it was Pippin who spoke rudely, today it is you. When will the madness stop?” He turned back round and left the room.

~ ~ ~

Pervinca slowed down as she approached Merimas’ room. She knew he was closed up inside reading his healing manuals and studying; something Merry had told her about the day before. She kept pacing in front of the door trying to decide whether or not to knock. It was not seemly for a lone maiden to be calling on a bachelor in his room, but she tried reasoning within herself that calling on him was not what she was doing. She only wanted to give him his envelope that the Messenger Post dropped off today…and find out if Melilot was also invited to Estella’s party. Just as she raised her fist to knock on the door, to her surprise it opened up, making her flinch.

“Pervinca! Hullo,” Merimas smiled, but he was puzzled at the same time. “I heard someone walking out here in the hall. Is there something I can help you with?”

Pervinca flushed red. “I wanted to give you this,” she held out the envelope in her hand. She stood expectantly at the door waiting to see his reaction…and to see if he would divulge the contents of the letter.

“It’s from Mel,” he said, smiling to himself. Bit by bit, he meticulously opened the envelope, knowing full well Pervinca was waiting to hear what information was written in the letter. His two sisters behaved in the same manner as this young lass who stood before him. “Let me see…I think it says,” he read slowly, squinting and brought the paper up to his eyes. “I’m sorry,” he said apologetically, “I can’t read it anymore.” He laughed when he saw the intense expression on her face.

Pervinca then realized that her meddling manner was obvious. “I’m sorry, Merimas, I must confess; I did want to know if your sisters were coming to the party as well. I would love to see them again.”

When Merimas looked again at Pervinca, he did not see a young slip of a girl. Instead, he saw a beautiful tween with golden highlights in her honey-brown hair. There was a sparkle in her emerald green eyes that captivated him, while her skin…

“Merimas?”

“Um…yes, it,” he stammered, clearing his throat, “it, um, it says that she will be arriving tomorrow at around four o’clock. It does seem Mentha will be with her as well; Mel asks that I make arrangements for her and Mentha to stay at Great Smials.”

“That is wonderful news, Merimas!” she smiled. “I can make those preparations, if you don’t mind. I’ll arrange for them to stay near your room, it you’d like.” But before Pervinca left to make her plans, her own eyes were caught by the light of his blue, Brandybuck eyes.

“That will be acceptable,” he replied, mesmerized by her gaze once again.

Pervinca came to herself then excused herself to the Host’s office.

~ ~ ~

At three o’clock, Paladin, his family and guests took tea in the private dining room within the family’s quarters. Degger had a standing invitation, and so he, too, joined them. He sat on the ‘lads’ side of the long table. As soon as the cakes, tea, and finger foods were served, everyone fell to business.

Pimpernel had dropped her fork and decided to pick on her favorite brother. “Pippin, fetch me a clean fork from the sideboard.”

Pippin looked over at his sister with contempt. His first reaction was to fall back to his “old ways” and tell her to get it herself. However, he did give his word to his father that he would not speak boorishly to others. Quietly he got up to get the clean fork for his sister.

Degger, who used to be a server in the kitchens, would often fall into his old habits. With a quick motion, he wiped his mouth with his napkin then got up from his seat to fetch the desired item.

“Degger, please sit down and finish your meal,” instructed Paladin. “Pimpernel requested for Pippin to get it for her.” He stared at his daughter when he emphasized one particular word. “And she also meant to say, please--isn’t that correct, Pim?”

Pimpernel looked up as Pippin as he handed her the clean fork. She batted her eyelashes, answering, “Why yes, Father--however did I miss that? Please, Pippin, and thank you!” She locked eyes with her brother; they told a completely different story.

Pippin grinned; looking down he caught her gaze. Pippin felt he could read her true response in her eyes that seemed to say: “Being a good little imp today, Pippin? Please! That will be the day!” In an instant he could hear his own reply echoing in his head: “Just take the fork, you greedy ingrate!” He was supposed to be reforming! Pippin stopped the banter going on in his head when he slapped his hands to his eyes. He yelled out loud, “Stop!”

Pimpernel was mystified at his outburst. She self-consciously put her hand over her bosom thinking there was more cleavage showing than she intended.

Eglantine noticed her son’s behavior, “Stop? Stop what?” Then she saw Pimpernel’s action. She got up, took her son by his pointed ear and hauled him out of the dining room.

~ ~ ~

It was after tea when Pimpernel stood in the parlor of her room and opened her door a crack to see into the hallway. She felt like a sneak, but there was no other way to do this. She bided her time, waiting for her moment of opportunity behind the doorjamb.

After her initial reaction at the dining room table, Pimpernel realized that Pippin was not doing what she thought he was. She understood Pippin was a normal teenager, however, she also knew he would not do something like that with his sisters; with other lasses perhaps, but not his sisters. What was going on in that head of his? It was as if he could hear her teasing him without speaking a word, if that were possible. The whole matter unnerved her.

Pippin was casually walking down the hallway on his way to Merry’s room when he heard his sister calling to him from her room. She held out a ceramic pitcher and demanded that he fill it up with fresh water from the kitchen. Isn’t this what we employ servants for? he thought. Then he kicked himself for sounding like one of his cousins.

It was only his sister he disliked submitting to. But then he remembered the dreadful word he gave to his father. He silently took the pitcher from his sister and headed towards the kitchens. When he returned with a full pitcher, she took the container and set it on her table, then requested he come inside--please. He stood in the middle of her parlor waiting for whatever she wanted to speak to him about.

Pimpernel walked over to the door and firmly shut it, “All right, where is he?”

“Where is whom?” asked Pippin.

“Where is my little brother? Where have you hid him?”

“Oh, that little brother,” he smirked. “He had to go away. Yesterday I gave my word to father that I would speak courteously to everyone. And that, unfortun--I mean, includes you.”

Pimpernel was not so certain she liked this new Pippin. About ten years ago, ever since Pippin could stand up and shake a finger at her, she and Pippin would banter with each other with a wicked twist--often getting themselves into trouble with their parents. Pimpernel looked forward to their little ‘battle of the wits’ on a daily basis, and she thought Pippin enjoyed it, too.

“Pippin,” Pim began, “Pervinca is not the same girl you used to play with when you were a small boy. She has developed a different temperament over recent years, and you should’ve realized that yesterday when you spoke out of line. But with you and I…it’s another matter. I can’t be a delicate flower when I’m shouting orders twenty yards away to the workers in Father’s fields--many of which are lads much older than myself. It’s a sort of release for me when you and I go back and forth in our words. I understand that we’re both jesting--at least I am.”

“I know that you jest, and so do I,” he said. “But I can’t go back on my word to Father. I’m sorry, Pim, but this is the new Pippin.” Then he blushed, “and I wasn’t--”

“I know you weren’t,” she answered. “I talked to mother already.”

“Thanks,” he said. “What did she say?”

Pim tousled his curls and laughed, “I think we’re making her go mad! She said that she can’t wait until we’re all out of our tweens and moved out.” She let out a long, sad sigh. “Will you at least consider what I’ve said? Father will understand if you talk to him.”

Pippin felt when he gave his word, it was as good as being carved in stone. It saddened him to think that she didn’t like his change. “I’ll consider it.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List