Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All Joking Aside  by PIppinfan1988

Disclaimer: Hobbits, the Shire, Middle-earth don’t belong to me, they belong to JRR Tolkien.

Characters: Pippin, Merry, Paladin Took, Pervinca Took, Merimas Brandybuck, Pimpernel Took, and Degger Greenhill (original character). Timeframe is late July, S.R. 1406.

Summary: In this story, Pervinca gets invited to her first escorted party. I took the liberty of “creating” a bit of tradition between escorts and fathers, but if I were to explain it here it would give away some of the story. So I will explain it later. Enjoy.Pippin, Merry, and Pervinca; all three have been close friends since early childhood. In the span of several days, a few…misguided words threaten to tear their friendship asunder.

All Joking Aside

Chapter One - Midnight Greetings

It was close to midnight when two cloaked figures rode up on ponies towards the stables at Great Smials. The lantern that hung from the post outside the stable house flickered in the night breeze. Both hobbits dismounted and untied their packs, handing the reins of both animals over to the stable boy who led the ponies inside to the stalls. The light summer drizzle had lasted all day, making the ground slippery to walk on. One of the figures lost his balance, nearly pitching forward as they trudged up the lane towards the Smials.

“Careful, Merimas!” Merry could not help but chuckle, then completely lost his own balance falling onto his backside.

“I told you we shouldn’t have stopped at the inn in Tuckborough,” Merimas chided his younger cousin.

“I wanted to stop and greet my friends. Besides, it was only one pint, cousin,” Merry replied, taking the hand his cousin offered. “It was my mother’s cousin, Addie. He likes me, you know.” Merry swayed a bit as he tried unsuccessfully to wipe the mud off of his breeches and cloak.

Merimas smirked, “What about the other two pints? Surely, your eyesight cannot be so blurred that you saw only one!”

“Indeed, I saw only one: one from Addie, one from Everard, and one from Freddie!”

Merimas picked up Merry’s rucksack and swung it over his own shoulder, “Well, cousin, I’ll wager that tomorrow morning you will have learned your lesson about folks buying you pints. Come on.”

Merimas was not sure as to which entrance to use, but eventually decided that the large, round door in the center lit with decorative lanterns would suffice. He guided Merry up the cobblestone walkway between two rows of green shrubbery. They halted at the large, round door that was painted red then pulled on the door bell.

“No, no,” said Merry, “you’ve got it all wrong!” On countless occasions he had been a guest here at Great Smials at the courtesy of his Uncle Paladin and his family. Why were they knocking at the door? Merry turned the brass door handle, swinging the door inward (Tooks never locked their doors).

At this, a muffled cry was heard behind the door, “Ow!”

Merimas peered behind the open door. He saw a lad around his and Merry’s age sitting on the floor rubbing his head with his hand. “Gracious me! Are you alright?”

Merry also peered around the door. “Degger! I’m sorry--I didn’t expect anyone to be there,” Merry sobered up a bit and crouched down next to the lad.

“I’m all right, Master Merry,” Degger replied. He continued to rub the injured side of his forehead. “I was waitin’ for you by the private entrance then saw you lads come around to the main door.”

This time it was Merry who offered his hand. “I’m sorry about that, Degger, I honestly didn’t expect anyone to be up at this hour.” This was Merimas’ first visit to Great Smials, so Merry turned to introduce Degger to his cousin.

“At your service, Master Merimas,” Degger bowed.

“I am pleased to make your acquaintance,” Merimas bowed in return, "and I at yours.” Then he made a quick observation of the pink blotch swelling on Degger’s forehead. “You should put some ice on it.”

“Thank you, and I will. Please allow me to show you to your rooms,” Degger turned as if to lead the way. “I personally saw to it that your old room was freshened up earlier, Master Merry.”

“Thank you, but Degger,” Merry asked, “what are you doing playing the host? I thought you were the new assistant to the Smials’ Gardener?”

Degger smiled at Merry’s observation, “I am, but can’t I greet an old friend?”

As they walked down the main corridor towards the guest quarters Degger spoke over his shoulder, “Why don’t you lads clean up a bit then join me and Master Pippin in the dinin’ room for a bit of pie? We could talk for a while and catch up on news.”

“Sounds like a grand idea,” said Merry, then looked at Merimas, “are you up to it, cousin?”

“For pie? Always.”

~ ~ ~

Pippin held up the last slice of apple pie on the pie server. Two pie pans sat empty next to each other on the dining room table. “Anyone? This is the last piece.” He secretly hoped there were no takers.

“No, Pippin,” Merry sighed, placing one hand upon his filled belly. He waved his other hand towards the teen, “go ahead.” He shifted a bit in his seat to get more comfortable. “How many pieces does that make you?”

“Two,” Pippin replied, then paused, wrinkling his brow in thought, “no….three--I think.” He gingerly shoved the late night nibble onto his plate and licked his sticky fingers. Off to the side, Degger silently held up four fingers to the visitors. “I am glad that you have finally been able to persuade your cousin to escape that East Farthing place,” Pippin teased, saying the last part with mock distaste, then shoved a bite of pie into his mouth.

“I’ve been out of the East Farthing before,” countered Marimas.

Merry sipped his tea then piped in, “Of course he has! Three times, and each time it was to the Free Fair on the White Downs.”

“Well,” Pippin said between bites, “I suppose we shouldn’t pick on poor old Merimas too much when our own Degger hasn’t been out of the West Farthing.” He smiled at Degger before filling his mouth yet again.

Degger blushed, “I’ll travel elsewhere in the Shire someday, but right now I like to visit my sister at Michel Delving.”

Merry grinned, “and who else?”

Degger laughed and replied, “No one else!”

Presently, Merimas stood up from the table, “If you lads don’t mind I am going to bed now.”

Pippin looked at Merimas, “But we only just got started.”

“Yes,” added Merry, “We won’t be up for too much longer--why don’t you stay and chat?”

Merimas declined, saying, “Thank you, but I don’t think so tonight.” The lads quietly watched Merimas walk out of the kitchen.

Pippin gave Merry a quizzical look, “Was it something that I said?”

Merry let out a long breath. “No,” he said, “he’s been doing this for a while--ever since he began studying to be an apprentice healer. Now that he is one, he spends even less time outside his room.” Merry shook his head, “He even brought his books along on this well-earned holiday.”

“Why?” asked Pippin. “I thought you were able to convince him that he needed time to himself?”

“Seems as if he misunderstood,” replied Merry, “or he is more stubborn than I am.”

“A Brandybuck trait,” Pippin explained to Degger.

“It’s a Greenhill trait as well,” said Degger.

Pippin asked Merry, “Is he still doing this all because of his mother?”

“Pippin, every decision he’s made about being a healer has stemmed from his mother’s death. His family worries about him, and so do I.” Merry drained his cup of tea.

“Maybe he just needs a reason to come out of his room--or his gloom.” It was Degger who spoke. Merry and Pippin looked in his direction; both cousins knew Degger’s background*.

“Perhaps,” Merry replied, “but I hope the reason shows itself soon.”

 *Degger’s background can be found in my story, "Riches to Rags"





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List