Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Prince and The Shipwright  by Dragon

Looking around furtively, Ereinion went over to the window ledge and scrambled up to kneel on the sun-warmed wood. Outside the sun was shining over the settlement, brightening the drab greys and browns and drying up the puddles in the rough roads. He could see mothers collecting eggs and chasing children, and in the distance soldiers patrolling the city walls. They were nothing but toys from here.

The shadow from the window fell slanting across the pale covers of the bed and onto the grey stone of the floor, showing a young child kneeling quietly over whatever he was doing. Eventually the shadow sat up, bent down again to perfect a few points, then brushed at the ledge.

The wood chippings and dust were soon brushed aside, leaving pale markings in the honey-coloured surface. The boy ran his fingers over the grooves gently - it was his name. Although it did not look as brave and strong as a prince should be - maybe he should have been named Finion instead. Satisfied, Ereinion smiled and jumped down from the ledge. They could send him away, they could use the room for whatever purpose they wanted, but now it would always be his.

~*~

"Ereinion! Come, you must dress." The nanny dragged him away from a farewell slide on the polished floor of the corridor, and picked up his boots, letting him scamper after her in only his socks.

"I am dressed!" He ran a few steps and then lunged forwards to slide a few feet with a gleeful smile.

"There are some new clothes that your father would have you wear." She made an effort to keep her voice light and breezy. "We must keep you warm and dry on your adventure!"

"Will I have to wear my cape?" Ereinion spoke the last word with loathing. It was thick, it was an ugly shade of greyish green, and it made his ears itch.

"Of course." She gave him a look that suggested that she did not feel it was appropriate to go sock skating on a day such as this.

Ereinion obediently slowed down to a walk, trotting dispiritedly beside her. She just did not understand. He was not sock skating or sneaking into the kitchens because he felt like it, but because he knew that he should feel like it - and he was afraid that if he did not then he would start crying instead.

~*~

"There now, does that not look nice?" Ereinion's nanny smiled at him - a paper smile, and wearing thin.

Ereinion looked at the small mithril shirt that she held, swallowed nervously, looking at her with scared eyes.

"It is mithril. I am lucky to have it." Ereinion said woodenly.

"Yes." The nanny seized eagerly on the comment. "I bet there is not a single little boy who would not wish to wear this."

Ereinion looked at her, and to his concern the smile faded and she looked as if she was going to cry. She looked at the ceiling for a few minutes, swallowing hard, then carried on as if nothing had happened.

"Here, there is a special tunic for you to wear under it." His nanny said brightly, loosening the ties on a leather tunic and helping Ereinion pull it on. "This will stop you getting sore from the metal."

Ereinion paused, sticking out his elbows to halt the progress of the tunic over his head.

"Does Adar wear one of these?"

"Of course." The nanny smiled, then blinked rapidly to dispel the tears that had pooled in her eyes. "All soldiers do."

Ereinion smiled and straightened his arms to let the sleeves slip down.

Eventually the tunic was on, and the mithril shirt was securely fastened and adjusted to the nanny's satisfaction.

"There, are you comfortable?" She asked fondly, brushing dark hair from Ereinion's cross face.

"No." Ereinion scowled, his arms sticking out uncomfortably from the stiff mail. "I cannot move."

The nanny frowned, looking at the scarecrow pose that Ereinion had adopted.

"I am sure that you will grow into it."

~*~

"Here he is! This is Ereinion." His father said with a smile as Ereinion uncomfortably made his way down the stairs.

Ereinion looked around the hallway curiously. There were so many soldiers. Twenty at least, and all dressed in his father's colours. One was standing apart from the crowd, next to his mother and father, and that was who his father was speaking to.

"Good morning, Adar, Naneth." Ereinion nodded his greetings, then turned curiously to the soldier - a captain for his cloak was a deep blue. He was tall and dark, with his hair hanging loose around his face, and his eyes were merry despite the serious expression on his face. Ereinion had seen him many times, in feasts, meeting with his father, riding out with the armies but they had never met. "Good morning?"

Smiling at the hopeful friendliness in the child's voice, the captain bowed slightly.

"Prince Ereinion, I am Ainon, a friend of your fathers."

"And one of my finest captains." The King broke in cheerfully, winking at Ainon.

Ereinion stared at Ainon dumbly for a few minutes, both his eyes and mouth wide and round. So this was the Ainon that he kept hearing about. It had been said that he and his Ada fought side by side, and would live together or die together.

"Ereinion." Fingon said in a sharp but low voice, placing a hand on the child's shoulder, then withdrawing it slightly as if there was something distasteful to be found there.

"Oh." Ereinion jumped to attention. "It is nice to meet you, Captain Ainon."

His father grinned at Ainon for a second before continuing, "Ainon will be in charge of your travelling party. You are to listen to him, understand?"

"Yes, Adar." Ereinion nodded obediently.

There was a long, fidgeting silence, and then Ainon spoke.

"So, are we ready to leave?"

Ereinion felt his mouth go dry, and his eyes felt hot and began to itch. He felt, rather than saw, his father place an arm around his mother.

"Yes," His father spoke in a strange voice, rather higher pitched and rougher than usual, "It is a fine day to travel."

His mother knelt down and kissed Ereinion's forehead, then, too quietly for any to hear but Ereinion whispered, "Keep faith, my Ereinion. You are my brightest star."

Then she stood, leaving him alone in the shadowy and confusing thigh level view of the room. The King took his son by the shoulder and tilted his chin upwards with two warm fingers.

"Be brave. Listen to Cirdan. And. . ." Fingon looked down into the trusting face of his son. It would be long before he would see it again. "I love you, my son."

"I love you too, Adar." Ereinion moved forwards to hug his parents, but the unfamiliar stiffness of the mail made it difficult and uncomfortable, so instead he nuzzled his cheek against the soft velvet of their robes and let them stroke his hair.

He could have stayed there forever, but then Ainon called out for him, and he turned to find the captain holding out a gloved hand.

Slipping his hand into the larger one, Ereinion looked back at his parents as he was led gently. His father had his arm around his mother, and both were smiling and waving. He suddenly wanted to run back to them and hold onto them, or anything, and not let them take him away. But it was inevitable.

They passed through the door, and looking back through the columns and doorway, he could see his parents standing facing each other, their arms entwined. His mother had her head bent, and her entire body was heaving with silent sobs, but his father was staring straight ahead into space, his face stony.

"Goodbye." Ereinion whispered and watched them until they were nothing but a shadow barely visible through the far off doorway.

~*~

Ereinion's head jogged up and down against the roughness of the mail on Ainon's chest. Unhappily he moved the hood of his cape so it offered some cushioning to his cheek, and leant back against Ainon's body. Tired out by the ceaseless travel, he shut his eyes to blot out the bleak and ruined landscape, and tried to ignore the waves of nausea that had plagued him ever since they had left.

He had thought that the travelling would be exciting - his very first adventure. He had imagined riding among trees and over mountains, admiring the wild flowers and birds. He had thought that they would stop by beautiful clear streams, and sit around a fire at night, telling each other tales and songs.

But they stopped for only short periods of time, and slept little. Unable to find a comfortable position to sleep in when wearing the mithril shirt, Ereinion was in a state of perpetual exhaustion. The soldiers were tense and strained, constantly on guard, with little time to talk to or amuse a little boy. He was not even allowed to ride his own pony, but after a few days of the pace at which they travelled, even Ereinion had to admit that Celeb would not have been able to keep up. Ainon kept him on the saddle in front of him, wrapped inside his cloak. He wondered if the cloak had another purpose other than keeping him warm, for often he wanted to see what the others were talking about, but Ainon would draw it close, preventing him from seeing out.

~*~

One day they rode for hours, far into the darkness of the night. Ereinion spent the day blindfolded by the cloak, and no amount of struggling would persuade Ainon to allow him to even peep out. The air smelt foul, and the horses' hooves sounded heavy over the thin soil. Occasionally they would halt, and there would be low and worried voices.

Somewhere in the dark shadow of the cloak, Ereinion surmised that Ainon did not want to stop, but some others were arguing with him. At first Ainon seemed to win, and Ereinion cheered silently for him as he heard the others remount and they set off again. But then they slowed and he could hear the others dismounting and leading the horses on foot.

Eventually the horse he was seated on came to a halt, and he was lifted down from the horse and set on the ground. His legs still stiff and numb from the ride, he stumbled forward and was only saved from hitting the ground by a hand grasping the back of his tunic.

"Careful, Ereinion." An unknown soldier swept him up, and carried him into the camp. Overwhelmed with sudden nervousness, Ereinion shrunk back from the unfamiliar face and looked around for Ainon, but he was leading the party and talking to several other elves and was too busy to notice his charge.

It was not that he did not like the soldier, it was just that he did not know him, not even his name. At home he had always enjoyed meeting the soldiers, and trying on their gloves or helmets and if he was very lucky, being allowed to examine their swords or better yet their spears. But his Adar had always been there then. He had always felt brave and important and princely when he was standing next to his Adar. Now he just felt like Ereinion, small and unimportant and scared.

~*~

The camp was in the depths of some forest, but it was not a nice forest. Most of the trees had been hewn roughly down and their splintered remains stood like tombstones, pale in the dark. Much of the undergrowth had been trampled or burnt leaving behind mud and ash. The few surviving trees were scarred and dirty, their leaves brown and dusty. The idea of hearing birdsong or watching rabbits here was laughable.

The company of elves gathered in a group in a clearing, several already dispatched to keep watch.

"We shall stop here for the night." Ainon ordered. "We ride again at daybreak."

The soldiers nodded and there was soft murmuring as plans were made. They were all worn, their spirits shadowed from the days of riding through land that was little more than a graveyard. Once he had finished speaking, Ereinion ran to take his hand, pressing his body against the Captain's leg.

"I am hungry."

Ainon looked down wearily and smiled slightly, "We shall soon eat."

He was beginning to think that his friend had left it a little late to transfer his son cross-country safely. The strain was beginning to show on all of them, even the child. His face was pale and his eyes were shadowed.

"What is for dinner?" Ereinion asked, more of a ritual than any real interest. It would be way bread and salted meat, always way bread and always even staler.

"I think that it might be bread and meat." Ainon's eyes crinkled up ever so slightly. "Although it is hard to guess."

Ereinion smiled weakly, then pulled eagerly on the Captain's hand.

"Can we have a fire?" His face shone with anticipation. The dull food always seemed to slip down more easily when it was eaten by firelight, with all the soldiers huddled around in a circle. Sometimes he even would pretend that he was Ainon, and that they were his men.

"Not tonight, Ereinion." Ainon said wearily, and watched the happiness on the child's face fade. He had no idea of the danger they lived in, but for that they all could be glad. No child should know what they knew, or should see what they had seen.

~*~

Ereinion woke in still grey light of dawn, and shivered slightly despite the thick cloak he was wrapped in. It had rained softly during the night and everything was wet, not the fresh cleanliness of water droplets on grass, but thick black mud and dead rotting leaves.

Silently he sat up and looked around him. A handful of elves were lying or sitting around him, but others were wandering around the edge of the camp looking out into the trees, or seeing to the horses. Ainon was sitting on a large stone, apparently lost in thought.

"Ainon?" Ereinion got to his feet and wandered over to the Captain, whispering to avoid disturbing the shifty silence of the woods.

The soldier's head darted upwards and his hand shot to the hilt of his sword, then he relaxed as he saw the child.

"Good morning Ereinion," he motioned with his thumb to the centre of the clearing, "We shall have a small fire this morning."

Suspecting that this was mostly to cheer him up after the events of the previous day, Ereinion made a brave attempt at smiling.

"Good." He frowned at the ground. "May I go exploring?"

"No." Ainon snapped, then regretting his tone as he saw the child cringe, "Not far. Do not go further than Rodhrin there."

Ereinion looked at the blond soldier just visible through the trees and nodded unhappily.

"I will come straight back." He smiled worriedly, eager to make up for whatever he had done to make Ainon angry. "I will not explore for long."

Ainon grimaced and nodded, "Shout if you get lost."

"I shall not get lost!" Ereinion said scornfully, standing up as straight as he could. He was far too old to get lost now, and in any case what did they think he had been doing for the last ten years. Navigating the passageways of his home, especially when avoiding potentially irate nannies was no mean feat.

Ainon chuckled and tilted his head toward the trees, "Run along."

~*~

Ereinion crept through the trees, pretending that he was a soldier and he was hunting evil creatures. Peeking out from behind a tree trunk he surveyed the savaged woodland for any sign of the enemy before darting to the next tree. He carried a stick by his side and would often stop to swipe at an imaginary foe, although he had learnt a few weeks back that adding his own sound effects would tend to lead to the appearance of twenty fully armed soldiers and an exceedingly irate Ainon.

Then he saw tracks, deep and harsh in the dark mud. Carefully he knelt down beside them, trying to remember what his father had told him about tracking. He had been small then, maybe only three, and his father had taken him out to some woods at the edge of the settlement and told him how to identify tracks and herbs. His father had seemed bigger then, but his arm had been bandaged and Ereinion could remember his disappointment when he had not been able to have a piggyback.

He could not identify these tracks though. They were bigger than a deer's, and deeper than those of a fox. Scrambling back to his feet and trailing his stick along the ground, Ereinion began following the tracks. They led deeper into the forest, where the trees seemed to be growing too close together, choking out the sunlight and fresh air. Nothing could be living here.

The tracks joined others like it, and they carried on eastwards, but he had already gone further than Ainon had said he could and he could hear people calling for him. He did not like it here anyway. There were too many flies, and there was a foul putrid smell.

"Ereinion!" A loud angry shout made him whirl around. He had been here for too long and Ainon was angry. Everybody would be looking for him. Through the trees he could distantly see a soldier leaning against a tree, waiting for him.

"I'm coming." He called and guiltily ran towards the soldier and slipped his hand into the large one, but the soldier did not move.

"Come on!" Ereinion tugged forwards towards the camp. The hand felt very cold. The soldier had probably been looking for him for a long time, and probably would be cross. "Come on! Ainon will be angry!"

The soldier did not reply, but toppled from the tree, landing with a thump facedown in the dirt.

Thrown off balance, Ereinion tripped onto his knees, cutting one of his palms on a half-buried bit of metal. Blinking back tears he sat up, bringing his knees close to his chest and cradling his arm against him. The soldier still lay still, and Ereinion noticed that he was dressed differently than his father's troops. And he had always been told how dangerous strange soldiers were.

Scrabbling back, suddenly afraid, Ereinion bellowed, "Ainon!"

There was a crashing through the woods behind him and Ainon appeared, followed by several other soldiers.

"This soldier. I did not know who he was." Ereinion pointed anxiously. "He is sleeping I think."

He was generally ignored as the soldiers swept through the trees, taking in the tracks and other things that Ereinion had missed - discarded weapons and small bits of cloth and leather. Ainon turned over the soldier and slipped a hand inside the collar of his shirt.

"He is very cold." Ereinion crawled to Ainon's side and added helpfully. "Shall I run back and get a blanket."

Ainon did not reply for a moment as he searched some pockets and placed something into his tunic, then grabbed Ereinion roughly, shouting orders as he ran back towards the camp. The soldiers all seemed to come alive, stamping out the fire and gathering up blankets with fearful haste. Within a few minutes the horses were untied and they were proceeding at a run through the woods. Soon the trees became thinner and in one smooth movement the elves mounted and began thundering away from the place.

Scared and not really certain of what was going on, Ereinion did not protest as he was pressed uncomfortably hard against Ainon's armour. He must have done something terribly bad this time judging from the expressions and actions of the soldiers, but as yet nobody had explained exactly what he had done.

Wriggling around with difficulty, Ereinion glanced over Ainon's shoulder and counted the soldiers. Twenty. And all dressed in blue and silver.

"Where is my soldier?" He asked, not taking the hint from the worried concentration on his minder's face. "Did you not wake him?"

Ainon did not answer, eyes focussed only on the path he was travelling.

"Ainon! Where did he go?" Ereinion pestered, tugging on Ainon's sleeve.

Ainon was silent for a while, then as they got onto easier ground looked down and with one hand roughly turned the child around and wrapped him in the cloak, too tightly to allow him to do any more wriggling or tugging.

Scowling, Ereinion spat the woolly fabric out of his mouth and looked up crossly at Ainon. "Where is my soldier?"

He knew that he should let it go, forget all about what he had seen and stop asking questions that Ainon obviously did not want to answer, but there seemed to be some persistant curiosity driving him.

"Ainon!"

Drawing his breath in sharply between his teeth, and clenching his hands tightly to resist the temptation to slap the child, Ainon looked down.

"He is dead, Ereinion. Just like your grandfather."

Shocked by the anger in Ainon's voice, Ereinion shrunk into a small ball and dug his fists into his cheeks. It would not be wise to speak of this again, and in any case he could not put his thoughts into words right yet.

~*~

Then, on one morning in the third week, the horses came to a halt at the summit of a range of hills that they had been climbing for a while. Looking back, Ereinion could see the country they had travelled, a barren land in shades of greys and browns, with burnt trees and felled forests.

"Prince Ereinion." Ainon drew back the cloak and lifted him up to allow him to see.

The road wound on down the hills on the other side, but as it worked its way across country the surrounding land became greener, and meadows and forests sprung up around the track. The road soon became invisible save for a thin thread, but the landscape continued in rich shades of greens and ruddy browns down to the sea.

Ereinion stared at the expanse of water in silence for a few minutes, then turned his face up to question the captain.

"That is the sea."

"That is. And a welcome sight indeed."




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List