Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Absence of Reasoning  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Eleven - Going Home

“Frodo lad, I need to ask you a few questions.”

Paladin sat across from Frodo on the couch in his study. The teenager looked wide-eyed at his elder cousin thinking that he was trouble. “Did Merry sing too many…songs?”

Paladin hesitated in thoughts for a second, then he shrugged, saying, “My wife seems to think so, but that’s not what I’m speaking to you about.”

“I’m sorry, Paladin,” Frodo replied nervously. “but those were the only songs I knew--an older Took uncle taught them to Bilb--,” Frodo stopped, realizing he was implicating his dear Bilbo.

“Frodo,” Paladin, smiled; he figured old Bilbo probably learned them from the same uncle that he learned them from. He tried to further convince the lad, “honest, Frodo, that’s not why I’ve asked you here.” Frodo calmed down a bit. Paladin continued when he had Frodo’s undivided attention. “I understand that you and Merry are quite close at home, am I correct?”

“Yes,” the young hobbit nodded. “He’s like a little brother to me.”

Paladin smiled inwardly, while trying to find the appropriate words, “Has Merry spoken to you at all recently?”

“About?”

“About his father, Saradoc,” answered Paladin. Then he leaned a little over the low tea table between them and spoke in a lower tone. “What I’d like to know, is what Saradoc said to him the night before he and his mother arrived here.”

Frodo licked his lips nervously, “I...he--he didn’t say much to me.”

“Frodo,” Paladin spoke firmly, “Merry is my sister’s child, and I am utterly concerned with his welfare at home. If you love Merry as you say you do, then help me.”

“He made me promise not to tell anyone.”

Paladin gazed at his young cousin. “A five-year-old made you promise not to tell?”

Frodo looked down at his feet, but his Tookish nerve was returning. “Yes,” he repeated then looked up at Paladin. “He trusts me, and I won’t break that trust. I will keep his secret until my last breath, or until he bids me to tell you, because I love him. However, I will tell you this: what Saradoc said in his son’s hearing wasn’t good at all, bottle or not. He and I have had words over Merry and I tell you now that I will never look at Saradoc the same way ever again.”

Paladin looked into Frodo’s blue eyes and admired the resolve of the young hobbit in keeping Merry’s trust. “Very well, then. Just do me one favor, eh?”

“What’s that?” asked Frodo.

“Please keep my nephew’s best interest in mind. Keep an eye out for him, and if things become unbearable at home for him send me an immediate message.” Just as Paladin finished, both hobbits turned at the sound of little feet entering the room.

“Frodo! You’re here! You’re really here!” Merry ran heedlessly into the study, bounding into his favorite cousin’s arms, hugging him fiercely.

“Yes,” laughed Frodo, “I am here to take you back to Brandy Hall with me!”

Merry whispered into his cousin’s ear, “Frodo, Auntie doesn’t like our songs here--just like Mummy. But Uncle Paldin and Pimpernel likes them, though.” He didn’t see his uncle’s shocked expression on his face.

“That’s all right, cousin,” Frodo eyed his elder cousin, whispering back in Merry‘s ear, “we can sing them on the way home!”

“Are all your things packed and ready, Merry?”

“Yes, sir. And I got my spinning top, too.”

“Good! We wouldn’t want Berilac to think he’s the only lad to have such a magnificent toy!” Paladin winked at Merry.

After everyone had eaten a nice lunch, all gathered outside to send off the trio to Buckland. Eglantine handed a sack to Bilbo, “Here is a little something to keep you three on your feet until you get to Stock.”

Bilbo gratefully took the sack, “Thank you, Eglantine, and I assure you none will be wasted!” After hugs of farewell were passed around, Bilbo climbed up into the driver’s seat of the cart.

Frodo shook the hands of all his lass cousins, still being the bashful teenager. Then he came to Paladin. When it came to young Merry’s welfare, these two understood each other. “Goodbye, Paladin. I will do as you asked.”

Finally it was Merry’s turn. Following his cousin’s lead, he shook the girls’ hands. Then his Auntie swept him up into her arms, kissing him, “Goodbye, sweetie! We’re all going to miss you here.”

Merry kissed his aunt, “thank you, Auntie. I will miss you, too.”

Paladin took Merry from his wife’s arms and tossed him in the air before catching him. “Oy, laddie! You’re already growing some!” That made Merry laugh with delight. “Now you make sure you come back to visit more often! I don’t want it to be another two years before I see you again. Tell that to your Mummy!”

Merry smiled, “Yes, sir.” Then he laid his head on Paladin’s shoulder and whispered in his ear, “I love you, Uncle Paldin. You’re my favoritest uncle.”

Paladin kissed Merry and whispered back, “and you’re my favoritest nephew.” Paladin truly meant it from his heart. “Run along now and be a good lad.” While his family stood and waved goodbye to the departing relatives, Paladin quietly slipped away inside the Smial. He could hear the laughter and tears of farewell going on through the window of his study as he sat there. His tears fell silently as he thought of the little boy heading back towards unhappiness and confusion.

“Paladin?”

He jumped up, startled at the sound. It was his Tina. “Oh…it’s you.” He sniffed, then wiped his face.

She walked over took him in her arms. “I worry for him, too,” she said. “I have a feeling he’s going to be back. And it wouldn’t be a bad thing at all if it were only for a visit of leisure.”

Paladin let out a deep sigh. “I only hope that Essie was right,” he said, “I want to help Merry with all my heart, but all I can do is just be here for him when his heart breaks again.”

“We both will be here for him,” Eglantine reminded him.

Paladin smiled and embraced the love of his life, “Did I ever tell you that I married the most beautiful and wonderful lass in the Shire?”

~The End~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List