Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Absence of Reasoning  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Three - Waiting in the Dark

The setting sun filled the inside of the coach with a golden light. Despite the jostling inside the carriage, Esmeralda rested her head against the side as her eyelids grew heavy. The rhythm of the ponies’ hooves were lulling her into far away dreams. After a light nibble of cheese and bread, little Merry lay asleep sprawled out on the rest of the bench with his head on her lap. She combed through his thick, light brown curls with her fingertips as he lay there so still. Such a sweet little boy, she thought. His father won’t even miss him. As they rode along in silence, her thoughts were filled with how she would deal with her obstinate husband.

Tuckborough!!” Came a shout from the outside of the coach. Esmeralda awoke with a start. The sun was gone and the moon was high in the sky. She wiped her eyes and nudged Merry, still sleeping with his head on her lap.

Merry lifted his weary head, “Is it Uncle Paldin?

“No, sweetie,” she yawned, “but....we are in Tuckborough now.”

Mother and son got up and stepped off the carriage into the deep of night. Esmeralda gazed about the square; she didn’t remember Tuckborough being so dark. As the coachman fetched their bags, Esmeralda helped Merry put on his summer jacket, as there was a bit of a chill in the late summer air. The driver dropped the bags at her feet as she was still buttoning up her son. “Are ye travelin’ far on foot, Miss?”

“No, sir,” Esmeralda answered. “My brother is supposed to drive here from Whitwell and claim us.”

The coachman took in the dark and empty town market. Not a soul stirring about. The only folks around that he could see were the patrons at the local Oak Leaf Inn. “I’d be careful, if I was ye, Miss. Not a lot of good comes from that Inn this late at night. I’d stay with ye, Miss, but I’ve other passengers goin’ on to Great Smials.”

Esmeralda gazed uneasily towards the tavern, but smiled gratefully at the coachman’s kindness, “Thank you, but we’ll be all right.” Paladin had better get here soon!

She picked up the lighter bag and tucked it under her arm, then grasped the other bag and held it in the hand of the same arm. With her free hand she grabbed Merry’s and they walked towards the lighted porch of the Inn. Sitting in the light of a porch, tavern or not, would be better than standing in the darkness and not being seen by her brother. When they reached the porch, she dropped the bags, opened one up and pulled out two cloaks--her own and Merry’s. She placed the small one around the drowsy boy and instructed him to lie against the bags. In minutes the boy was back to sleep.

A good fifteen minutes had passed when Esmeralda heard a raucous of laughter, then two slightly drunken patrons exited the tavern. “Aye, Ferdie,” said the first hobbit, “it is a sad day indeed when your friends tell you you’ve had too much beer for a game of darts!” Esmeralda instantly recognized the Tookish accent of her cousins.

“It was your own fault, Addie,” the second one reasoned, clinging to the wooden post on the porch, “If you had actually aimed for Sigi’s backside, you couldn’t have asked for a better bull's-eye!” They both fell into drunken laughter.

Addie shook his head at the memory, “I couldn’t help it--it was too large.” He waved his hand towards the tavern doors, “Eh! I would’ve hit him anyway if I’d aimed for the East Farthing!” Apparently, Addie’s aim had much to be desired after a few pints; Cousin Sigismond’s backside vouched for that.

Ferdie’s attention was abruptly given to the woman sitting on the edge of the porch. “Such a lovely lass! What brings you to the Oak Leaf at this hour?” His staggered in Esmeralda’s direction, drunken eyes were fixed on the beautiful lady before him.

Her eyes flitted from one cousin to the other as Ferdie drew closer. Esmeralda stood up and took a step back. Ferdie got so close she could smell the beer on his breath, startling her. As he got even closer, Esmeralda backed further towards the porch railing, but not before setting her fist to his nose.

“Ahhh! You broke my nose!” Ferdie cupped his face as blood spurted out from his nostrils.

Addie came over laughing, “I hardly think she broke your nose, you ninny! Don’t you recognize your own kin?”

“I can’t!” he yelled back. “My nose is broken!”

Addie’s sadistic side was surfacing. “No it’s not! Here, let me wiggle it!”

“OUCH!” Ferdie pushed away his cousin’s hands from his face.

“It’s not broken, but it serves you right for trying to frighten her.” Addie squinted in the bright lantern light at Esmeralda, “You’re Paladin’s little sister, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” she answered, still up against the railing. “Is this how the Tooks greet family these days?”

Addie looked over to his friend now sitting on the edge of the porch, cradling his nose between his hands. “Of course not, but you’ve been away for a long time, Essie. Don’t those Brandybucks ever allow you visit your kin? Or do they themselves never leave that overgrown anthill they call Brandy Hall?”

“They do indeed!” She finally laughed at her cousin’s jest, then her smile disappeared, “But it’s been hard to get away these past few years.”

Addie gave her a grim smile, “So I’ve heard. I’m sorry about Saramac.”

“Thank you,” she smiled sadly. “but that was six years ago. He will always live here,” she said, placing her hand over her heart.

“Are you waiting for Paladin?” he asked. Esmeralda nodded. Then he noticed the small bundle lying against the baggage in the corner. He went over to investigate it, and smiled broadly when he saw the sleeping boy. “Is this the little prince of Buckland?” he whispered.

“Stop, Addie!” she smiled. “His name is Merry, and I have never let anyone refer to him in any special way, with any title. I don’t want him to grow up with a swelled head.”

Addie looked at her, “That would never happen with you as his mother.” Then he sat down on the edge of the porch, “We may as well sit and talk for a while because I won’t leave you here alone in the dark with all the riff-raff inside,” he said, nodding towards the tavern. So all three hobbits sat down for a chat to catch up on news while waiting for Paladin. But Ferdie remained silent and only held his nose. They didn’t have long to wait; a few minutes later a cart led by a pony arrived with haste into the Market Square. It slowed as the ponies circled around the square and then came towards the Inn.

“Hullo, Essie!” yelled the familiar voice. Paladin jumped down from the cart and ran over to the porch and took his little sister up in his arms. He gave her a fierce hug before setting her down again. “I’m sorry I’m late. Looks like you’ve had good company, though.” He gave his friend’s shoulder a slap. “Thanks, Addie.” He saw the boy stirring awake in the corner. “Goodness, Essie--he’s growing up so fast!” Then he put his arm around his sister, “Let’s get you both home.” Then he turned to Addie, “Do you and Ferdie need a ride?”

“No, no, Paladin, we both brought a pony, and I believe the Smials are a bit out of the way in the other direction. We’ll be fine; get your sister and nephew home to bed.”

“I’m sorry about your nose, Ferdinand!” Esmeralda called out. Ferdie only replied with a wave of his hand.

“Don’t be--he deserved it, I tell you!” Addie’s cackling laughter could be heard coming from the livery stables.

Paladin picked up her bags and then looked at his younger sister in amazement, “You did that to him?” She sheepishly nodded. He chuckled as he threw the bags in the back of the cart, “You haven’t changed a bit!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List