Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk In The Woods  by Anso the Hobbit

PART THREE: The Proud and The Brave

 

Merry looked up at Pippin. His little cousin had tears in his eyes, but looked down at Merry with so much love and care, that Merry knew that they would be all right.

 

“I’m so proud of you Pip. You have acted maturely and sensibly. One could almost believe you were a Brandybuck!” Merry poked his cousin a little in the leg with his hand. “If it had not been for you, I would have been lying there still, wet and hurt.”

 

“I only did what I had to do Merry. I’ve done nothing that you would not have done for me.”

 

“But how did you know what to do?”

 

“You silly Brandybuck. Don’t you know? All I know in life, I have learned from you or Frodo. You have guided me and taught me and helped me. If it had not been for you, Merry-mine, I would not have known what to do. I just tried to do what I thought you would have done in my place.”

 

“Oh!” Merry had hoped he had been able to teach Pippin some things that were worthwhile, and now it seemed that he had. Carefully he sat himself up, directing each limb with care, so not to make the world spin around again, now that it finally had settled down.

 

He sat up completely, and held his arms out and Pippin snuggled into his embrace.

 

“I’m so proud of you, my Pip. You have been so very brave!”

 

“I’ll do anything for you, Merry.”

 

*****

 

They sat like that for a while, arms around each other. Finally, Pippin spoke.

 

“How are you now Merry? Would you try some tea?”

 

Merry listened to his body for a moment. His head was still hurting, but the world was still, and his stomach had settled down too. “Yes. I think I can manage some tea. The world has stopped spinning now.”

 

“Well, you just sit there and rest, and I’ll get you a fresh mug.” Pippin said. The mug he made a little while ago had gone cold now.

 

Merry did as he was told, and after a few moments, he had a mug of hot tea in his hand.

 

Pippin looked at him critically.

 

“What?”

 

“Do you feel up to some food too?”

 

Merry laughed. It was so like Pippin to start thinking about food as soon as the danger was over. He did not need to answer though, for his stomach decided it wanted to be filled, and made that clear loud and long for all that could hear.

 

“I’ll take that for an answer, then.”

 

When Merry would get up to help him, Pippin forced him down again. “You stay put, young master, and I’ll fix us supper.” Merry grinned and shook his head at this suddenly mature and wise cousin of his.

 

*****

 

After supper the two hobbits sat back, relaxing. The storm was dwindling away, and they would be able to go on tomorrow, Pippin thought. That is, if Merry was well enough.

 

“Merry?”

 

Merry had been thinking a bit on his own, and looked at his cousin with an abstracted look on his face.

 

“Hmm, Pip?

 

“How do you feel? Do you think you will be able to go on in the morning?”

 

Merry lifted a hand, and gingerly felt his head. It still hurt, but he had been sitting up for a good while now, and even if he moved his head in a normal way, the world stayed put. He reached for his ankle. That did hurt too, but he didn’t think it was terribly bad, and Pip had bound it up nicely.

 

Slowly Merry lifted himself to his feet. Pippin shot up beside him ready to offer support at the slightest evidence of weakness. Merry planted his weight on his good foot, and straightened. He put his other foot down, and pain shot up through his leg.

 

“Ow!”

 

Pippin grabbed hold of him, and sat them down again.

 

“Not tomorrow then. We can sleep here, and” he rooted through his pack, “we have enough food for several days here. We are on an adventure!” Pippin squeezed Merry`s shoulder. “Don’t worry, Mer. I’m going to take care of you.”

 

And Merry did not doubt him for a second.

 

“I know Pip. Thank you.”

 

Giving his cousin in a brief hug, Pippin settled them both down to sleep, taking care that Merry was comfortable, warm and dry. They would manage, no matter what happened.

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

 

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List