Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Case of Mistaken Identity  by Conquistadora

In the vast reaches of the fanfiction world, a good deal of responsible fanon is required (no matter how highly you revere Tolkien’s own work) to fill certain holes. The best is firmly canon-based, or as firmly as is possible, depending on how much you have to work with, and is fashioned in the best interests of furthering Tolkien’s creations in his original spirit. However, some bits of fanon that have since been generally accepted, or at least gained considerable popularity, seem to have veered a bit from the original course. The most glaring example, to me, is the complete distortion of Elvenking Thranduil Oropherion of Greenwood the Great into "Evil!Thranduil."

Many bear a grudge against him for his conduct in The Hobbit, which was really his only dominant moment within canon. He is called indiscriminate, tactless, unjustified, harsh, and even cruel, but there is less incrimination to be found between the lines there than is plainly stacked against such infamous figures as Túrin Turambar or Fëanor and his sons, Eöl or Maeglin. Thranduil in no way deserves the slander he suffers in being portrayed as a tyrant, an abusive husband and father, and a carousing libertine.

Many, many thanks to Sarcastic Elf and to Karri.

(Most quotes from The Hobbit unless otherwise indicated.)





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List