Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Freedom From Fear  by Fionnabhair Nic Aillil

Crisis

Éowyn trembled from head to foot – never, never had she been so angry.  She had come from a long ride with Windfola – the mare was an absolute joy to ride now she was fully trained.  She almost seemed to respond to Éowyn’s thoughts.  Éowyn wore her riding habit and her hair was wind-tangled.  Théodred sent her a sympathetic glance and she clenched her fists, grateful that her sleeves hid them.

Théoden looked at her sternly and said, “Is this true, Éowyn?”  She shook her head, “No, I mean, yes I do visit Elfara, Uncle but it’s not as Wita Grima says.  She’s my friend.”  Her Uncle hunched over, his elbows resting on his knees, his head on his clasped hands and said, “What manner of friend is she Éowyn?”

Éowyn strained all her faculties to describe what simply was, the friendship that went beyond words.  She spoke haltingly, “She tells me things Uncle, the things I need to know.  And it’s nice to have a woman I can talk to”.  Grima stepped forward and bowed stiffly, saying, “I, of course, understand Lady Éowyn’s desire for female companionship my Lord, but it remains that the woman is unsuitable.”

Éowyn was desperately irritated and spoke in a rush, “He keeps saying that…forgive me Uncle, but Wita Grima has said several times that Elfara is ‘unsuitable’, but where is the proof?”

“The woman is a whore King Théoden”

“She isn’t”, Éowyn interrupted him, furious, but he continued, his face and voice impassive, “I have even heard it said that Prince Théodred received her ‘services.’” Théoden stared at his son, who hung his head, shamefaced.  The King spoke first, “Is this true my son?”

“Aye”

“And you would introduce such a woman to your cousin?  Your swiving mistress?”  Éowyn had never seen such fury in her Uncle’s face, and she shrank from him.  Théodred however lifted up his head and said, “I would father.  Elfara is a good woman – she is not as Wita Grima has painted her.”

Her Uncle sighed and Éowyn’s anguish broke its bonds and she spoke, “Please Uncle, I know how this all seems, but it really isn’t like that.  Elfara has been my holdsweostor, in everything.  I need her.”  Théoden looked at her with saddened eyes and Éowyn knew he did this because he loved her.  How could she ever forgive him?  He spoke, “I understand Éowyn, but I cannot allow you to keep company with a woman who is unchaste.  For your own good Éowyn”

A protest broke from her lips and he said, “Éowyn the King has spoken.  That is my will.”  She dashed tears from her eyes and said, “Uncle, at least let me see her one last time.  Let me explain?”

Théoden nodded saying, “Go, but Éowyn do not linger”.  Grima made a movement as if to protest but the King silenced him with a look.  Éowyn turned and ran from the hall.  Théodred reached after her calling, “Cousin” but she was gone.  He turned to face Grima, saying, “Your counsel is of a rare craft”

“I seek only to preserve the honour of the House of Eorl my Prince.  You must know as well as I that it can be a painful duty – especially for a young woman like Lady Éowyn”

“What?”

“Your cousin is young and most innocent of the ways of this world.  It is the duty of experience to guide innocence that it will not crash.  I seek only to aid your father in this duty”


”Say it plain”

Grima’s face looked almost pained but he said, “Simply put Prince, Lady Éowyn, well in a few years who knows what may be within her reach?  She is Lady of Rohan – the King of Gondor even, should he ever return, would find her most eligible.  As it is, the Steward has two sons.”

“You speak of alliance by marriage?”

“Aye Prince Théodred, but not if there is aught touching her honour”

“Surely you speak in jest?  Any choice will be of her own.”

“Of course, of course, but all choices should be open to her surely”.

Théodred watched Grima walk away from him, and stood in thought for many minutes.


Éowyn stumbled into Elfara’s workshop.  Tears streamed down her cheeks, but Elfara was nowhere to be seen.  Choking, Éowyn called out her name.  In a moment Elfara had come inside and wrapped Éowyn in her arms.  She hugged the girl as tears fell down her cheeks.  After a few minutes Elfara said, “Now what’s all this in aid of?”

“It’s Uncle.  He said,” and Éowyn sniffed, “He said I can’t see you any more.”  Elfara’s hand stopped its soothing movements on Éowyn’s back and she spoke sharply, “Why?”

“Grima.  He said the most terrible things and Uncle, Uncle wouldn’t listen to me, or Théodred either.”

“Well if it’s only Grima?”

“But it’s not.  Uncle agreed with him, and I have to do what he says.”

”Well maybe you could come down, and no one would have to know.”

Éowyn pulled away, “No, Elfara!  You don’t understand, I’ve never seen Uncle like that.  He might make you leave Edoras or anything.”  She started to cry again, “It’s not fair.  They wouldn’t listen to me because I’m a maid, and they’re doing this and it’s wrong.  And they say they’ll listen and then they don’t and…”

Elfara hugged the girl.  Over the years she come to feel that Éowyn was her own.  Between her sick father and her relationship with Théodred, it was plain that she would never marry – but as Éowyn grew she had felt a love, and a pride in her that she could only imagine feeling for a daughter.

They held each other for a brief moment, and then Éowyn pulled away, “I have to get back.  When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow?”

“You will be careful won’t you?  Especially in Fenmarch, Théodred’s sure Fenmarch isn’t safe so be careful.  Don’t travel alone.”

“I won’t”, Elfara brushed Éowyn’s hair from her face, “And you, you will take care won’t you love?” 

"Aye I will"                                                                                                                                                        

Elfara wanted to say one last word, to prepare Éowyn for what might come but there wasn’t time.  Éowyn paused at the entrance and said, “Farewell Elfara” and then she was gone.

Glossary

Holdsweostor = loyal sister





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List