Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Solid Ground  by Lindelea

Chapter 12. "They Say There's Still Hope"

 ‘Not far now, Ruby,’ Diamond said cheerily as she and Rosamunda helped Forget-me-not along. Pimpernel followed, encouraging the younger ones.

Small tents and larger pavilions were blooming in the large field to one side of the Smials, hobbits were bustling about, the roasting pits were in full operation. It looked as if some festival or other were being celebrated, until one looked beyond the party field.

The picnickers stopped short in shock at their first sight of the Great Smials. Diamond heard Pimpernel’s soft exhalation, O no! behind her, while Rosamunda caught her breath in a sob. At first glance it looked as if half the huge dwelling had fallen in, and in the half still intact gaping holes yawned where windows had glistened in the morning sun. Ropes hung down from such holes on the upper levels, some bearing hobbits climbing up or down.

 ‘Come along,’ Diamond said, finding her nerve. As she started forward the others moved with her in a tight bunch, a flock of bewildered sheep. When they were halfway across the great field a hobbit shouted and jogged towards them.

 ‘Mistress!’ Diamond recognised one of the cooks; indeed, he held a ladle in his hand. ‘You’re safe! When you hadn’t returned before the last aftershake we feared the worst.’

 ‘We are all well, Tater,’ Diamond returned, though it had been a close thing. While they were still embracing Forget-me-not, having pulled her out of the pit bare moments before, the earth shook again. Throwing themselves to the ground, clinging together, they had watched the pit close itself as quickly as it had opened. Had the tween still been within... Diamond shook herself. It had not happened. ‘I see you have things well in hand here. Can you tell me how we stand?’ The cook took the injured tween in his arms and they started walking towards the tents once more.

 ‘Regi would do better,’ Tater began, but Diamond fixed him with a firm eye. He hesitated and continued. ‘About a score dead, thus far, and three-score and ten injured, but more are missing. Gimli’s here,’ he brightened, ‘and he’s been wonderful help! Got us all out of the kitchens and those who’d been at elevenses in the great room though the entrances were blocked.’

 ‘Gimli? He wasn’t expected until this evening,’ Diamond said. A tall fair figure emerged from one of the pavilions at their approach. ‘Legolas!’ she cried, and the Wood Elf took her hands in his.

 ‘We rode like the wind after the first disturbance,’ he said gravely. ‘Come, Diamond, Pippin needs you.’

***

Fastred and Leotred were both on top of the box as they drove into Bywater. It was fully as bad as they were expecting, but the hobbits of Bywater seemed to have everything well in hand. Fas recognised the scraps of fabric nailed to doors or fluttering from stakes in front of ruined homes: in the days of the terrible fever that had assailed the Shire years earlier, such flags signalled to rescuers that a dwelling had already been searched for survivors. The street had been cleared of rubble and the good smells of wood smoke and cooking were in the air.

As they rode the short stretch between Bywater and Hobbiton they met the small group of Gamgees. ‘Fas! Leot!’ Sam cried, swinging down from his pony. He ran to the coach, opening the door to embrace his daughters and grands. ‘You’re safe! We knew you were on the way, but news from the West Farthing has been sketchy.’

 ‘We left Michel Delving early this morning,’ Fas said, ‘and have heard no word of how they fared, but it looks as if the shake was much stronger here.’

 ‘And worse at the Great Smials,’ Merry Gamgee said grimly. ‘We’re on our way there now.’

 ‘What of Bag End?’ Leot said.

 ‘Bag End is still standing,’ Sam said, emerging from the coach. ‘Why don’t you take your families there and ride to the Smials once they’re settled? From the news I’ve heard, the Tooks need all the help they can get.’

 ‘We’ll come,’ Fastred said, and Leot nodded. Sam mounted his pony and the four Gamgees rode on.

On the outskirts of Hobbiton, the coach met a body of Tooks marching in good order. The leader hailed Fastred. ‘Fas! Are ye coming to the Smials?’

 ‘I’ll be right behind you!’ Fastred called back. The Tooks parted to flow around the coach, more than a few nodding greetings, remembering when Fas and Leot had lived and worked at the Smials some years earlier.

They stayed at Bag End long enough for Leot to check the burns for himself. ‘Rose-Mum, you’ll do fine,’ he said reassuringly, replacing the last dressing. ‘Why, in a week you’ll be yourself again, and Prim as well.’

 ‘I wasn’t aware I’d turned into someone else,’ Rose muttered dryly, but then she had a smile and hug for her son-in-love before he rose from her side.

 ‘Elfstan, you stay and help your Uncle Bilbo,’ Fastred said.

 ‘You can count on me, Dad,’ the youngster said, standing as tall as he could.

Daisy and Day stepped forward, bulging bags in their hands. ‘Sandwiches, just made up,’ Day said, ‘and tarts made already for the wedding breakfast. Frodo and Hamfast are working down in Bywater; did you see them?’

 ‘I didn’t,’ Fastred said. ‘But I’ll look for them on our way to the Smials.’

 ‘Take extra ponies and take them with you,’ Daisy said. ‘They’re good at digging.’

***

Ferdibrand was still unsure about what had happened, though his mind was constantly turning the problem over. Had ruffians come and ransacked the Great Smials, taking all the hobbits and leaving him among the dead? It was the only thing he could think of that halfway made sense.

He felt his way carefully out of the bedroom, and it was a good thing too, for broken glass littered the carpet and floor. The smell of lamp oil was in the air and the room was chilly. Evidently no fires burned on the hearths and the lamps were all smashed. Ferdi smiled grimly. Darkness was no barrier to him.

He searched the sitting room, and when his hand encountered a hard round ball he identified it by smell and feel as an apple. Rubbing it on his shirt, he proceeded to eat it. Good. He’d been light-headed from so many days without eating. The apple helped steady him and he continued the search, feeling all about and calling softly though it turned out there was no one to hear him. No one answered, and he discovered no more bodies in any of the rooms of the suite. Very well, it was time to broaden the search.

***

The Sun was thinking about seeking her bed as the Mayor rode through what remained of Tuckborough. Hobbits were digging here as in Bywater, but Sam could see that the damage was worse here. The hobbits in Bywater were salvaging supplies, all hobbits already accounted for, but these... ‘Have you found everyone?’ he called to one of the Tooks who’d paused to watch them pass.

 ‘Not yet,’ the Took answered wearily. ‘Got all my family out, but my neighbour’s littlest is still missing. Haven’t found the cradle yet, and he cannot leave his wife’s side.’ He wiped at his eyes with a grimy hand and turned back to his digging.

Goldi choked back a sob and gave herself a firm talking-to. She did not want her father to think her a silly lass and regret bringing her with him. Still, it took several deep breaths before she was sure the tears would stay where they belonged. There’d be time enough to cry later, when the work was done.

***

Meliloc Brandybuck saw Mayor Samwise ride into the yard as he was crossing from field to Smials. He’d relinquished the lead to Reginard once the steward’s cuts had been cleaned and bandaged, and allowed a healer to lead him away to a pallet on the green field. Now he was feeling better after a rest and a bite to eat and on his way to join the helpers.

 ‘Mayor Sam!’ he called, breaking into a jog though it jolted his head. ‘Merry-lad! Pip! Goldi!’

 ‘Where’s the Thain?’ Sam said, pulling his pony to a stop.

 ‘First pavilion on the left,’ Meliloc said, waving back at the field.

 ‘How’s Faramir?’ Goldi asked.

Meliloc turned a sober face towards her. ‘I’m sorry, Goldi,’ he said. ‘He’s not been found yet.’

Goldi nodded. She’d braced herself for the worst. Missing was better than confirmed dead. She held firmly to hope.

When they reached the pavilions a stable lad stepped forward to take their ponies. ‘I’ll see them fed and rubbed down,’ he promised. ‘D’you want them held ready, or should I turn them out to graze?’

 ‘Turn them out,’ Sam answered. ‘We’ll be here awhile yet.’

Inside the first pavilion, he broke into a smile when he saw Legolas, for his heart always felt lighter in the presence of one of the Fair Folk. ‘Legolas!’ he called.

The Elf looked up. ‘Sam!’ he returned.

Diamond sat on Pippin’s other side, her face strained. ‘Sam,’ she said in greeting. ‘I wish I could say “welcome” but it’s a poor welcome at best.’

Sam strode forward to take the hand that Legolas had released. ‘Pippin,’ he said. ‘Stay with us.’

The Thain was whiter than the pillows that propped him. He opened his eyes to peer blearily at Samwise. ‘Merry?’ he said.

 ‘Merry’s coming,’ Diamond replied softly. ‘He’ll be here soon, my love.’

 ‘What can I do?’ Sam asked.

 ‘Talk to Everard, or Gimli,’ Diamond answered. ‘They’re in charge of the...’ She didn’t finish, but looked down at Pippin. ‘They say there’s still hope,’ she whispered. ‘They’ve found pockets of Tooks, trapped but safe, and they’re digging ever deeper into the Smials to find more.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List