Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

One Year in Mirkwood  by daw the minstrel

10.  Contests

(February)

"Good, Legolas!" said Thelion.  The blade master stepped back and lowered his scimitar.  "You have made real progress in adjusting to the way the curved blade affects your parry.  Remember that a curved sword is primarily a cutting weapon, rather than a thrusting one.  That should tell you what to anticipate."   He glanced around at the group of four novices, all of them looking a little worse for wear at the end of a day of training in how to fight against the curved sword favored by Orcs and Easterlings.  "I think that is enough for today," he said, although it was actually a bit early for training to end.

"Wait," Legolas begged. "Let me try one more time. I know I can get under your defense."  He was aware of a smothered groan from one of his fellow novices.  He threw them an apologetic glance, and Annael smiled weakly back at him. Galelas and Isendir both looked exasperated.

"Not today," Thelion laughed.  "You are all tired, and training when you are too tired is a good way to court injury. Besides, Legolas, I have been told that you are wanted in the king's stables when you are done here, so we had better not be too late."

"My adar's stables?" Legolas asked.  "Do you know why?"

"I do not know," said Thelion.  "Ithilden passed the message to me when we took the last break."

Legolas frowned.  Perhaps his horse, Sadron, had developed some problem that his father's horse master wanted to talk to him about.   The horse had been slowing up lately, showing his age.  Legolas could still ride him, but he did not think he would be able to for much longer. And the horse was really no longer fit for some of the more rigorous exercises in the warrior training.  He sighed.  Thranduil had told him that he would have to decide what was to be done with Sadron, for the horse was his responsibility.  He loved the animal and would do his best by him, but he was not looking forward to watching the horse get older.  He followed the other novices off the training field.

"What is wrong with you?" Galelas asked irritably.  "We will be doing this again tomorrow, you know."

"I am sorry," Legolas said ruefully. "I got caught up in the exercise."

Galelas shook his head.  "You must not be going to see Miriwen tonight, or you would not have been so eager to stay."

Legolas blinked. Galelas had been decidedly friendlier since Miri and Falad had played the trick on his brother at the First Snow feast.  The remark he has just made came as close to teasing Legolas as he had ever come.  "Actually, I am going to see her," he said, "but not until later. Her training takes long hours."

They had reached the point where the paths that led to their various homes diverged.  "Do not accept any wine from her," Galelas said with a hoot of laughter, and he and Isendir departed for their cottages.

Legolas and Annael looked at one another.  "Has it occurred to you that Galelas may be taken with Miriwen?"  Annael asked.

Legolas laughed. "Actually, I believe that he is afraid of her," he said, "with good reason, I might add. He was her original target for that joke."

"Does he know that?" Annael asked.

"Oh, yes," said Legolas.  He looked at Annael out of the corner of his eye. "I felt that he needed to be warned, so that he could avoid trouble."  Annael laughed.  "I am going to my adar's stables," Legolas went on. "Would you like to come?"

"Of course," Annael agreed. A trip to Thranduil's stables was always worthwhile, for he had some of the finest horseflesh in the Realm. Moreover, Annael had talked to Tonduil yesterday and strongly suspected that he knew why Legolas was being summoned there.

As they approached the stables, Legolas could see that Sadron was in a nearby pasture.  He and Annael stopped and looked at the horse over the fence. Legolas whistled and the horse pricked up his ears and came trotting over. He stroked the horse's muzzle and then patted his neck.  The horse nuzzled happily at his chest.  "I do not have anything for you," Legolas apologized. "I am sorry."   With a final pat, he stepped back, and then he and Annael went on, leaving Sadron watching them over the fence.

They entered the warm stable, redolent of horses, and found Thranduil talking to the horse master at the other end of a line of stalls. Both Elves turned as they came in.  "Adar," said Legolas in surprise, "did you want me?"

"Yes, I did," Thranduil responded. "Good evening, Annael."

"Good evening, my lord," Annael responded, his eyes going past the king toward the stallion in the last stall.

Thranduil smiled.  "I have something for you, Legolas," he said, "an early begetting day present."  He turned and indicated the horse.

Legolas walked forward, his mouth open.  "Adar," he said, "he is beautiful." The horse was a dark bay with a blaze of white on his face.  He was moving somewhat nervously in the stall, regarding Legolas with large, dark eyes.

"Let us get him out," Thranduil said to the stable master, who opened the stall and spoke softly to the horse.  The stallion strode into the open space between the rows of stalls and stood quietly while Legolas approached.

"Does he have a name?" he asked.

"That is for you and him to decide," said Thranduil.  "He is yours if he agrees to be."

Legolas slid a hand over the muscular shoulder.  "What is your name?" he asked in a low coaxing voice.  "What would you like to be called?"

Thranduil grinned.  "Why do you not take him for a ride and see what the two of you come up with?" he suggested. "Would you like to borrow a horse, Annael?" he asked.

Annael shook his head.  "Thank you, my lord," he said, "but I should be getting home.  I just wanted to see what Tonduil was talking about."

Legolas smiled at him over his shoulder.  "I will see you in the morning," he said, and Annael went on his way.   Legolas turned to Thranduil.  "Will you ride with me, Adar?"

His father looked delighted at the invitation.  "Gladly," he said, as the stable master ran to get his horse.  Legolas leapt lightly onto the new stallion's back, and father and son rode out into the gathering winter dusk.

From over the pasture fence, Sadron watched them, nickering at Legolas in what sounded like reproach.  He ran along the fence, following them as far as he was able, and then stood looking after them.  Legolas grimaced.  "Poor old thing," he said.

Thranduil nodded sympathetically.  "Mortal creatures can break one's heart sometimes," he said, "but he will be well cared for, you know."

"I know," Legolas agreed.  "But I still cannot help feeling sorry for him."

Then they settled down to ride.  They did not go far, but even in the short distance they covered, Legolas could tell that the stallion seemed to sail effortlessly over the ground, even when he urged it into a gallop. He all but flew along the trails, and even Thranduil's great horse was hard put to keep up.

They returned to the stable as darkness was settling in, and they each picked up a twist of straw to clean the horses' coats of the mud and snow they had accumulated.  "Have you two decided what to name him?" Thranduil asked.

Legolas nodded.  "He and I have agreed that he is to be called Pilin," Legolas said, giving the ancient Quenya word for "arrow."  "He flies straight and true.  The name suits him."

"And it is a good name for a horse that you ride," Thranduil agreed, "given the fine archer you are becoming.  He should carry you well even into your first patrols as a warrior."

Legolas turned to look at his father and found him looking fondly back. "Thank you, Adar," he said.

"You are welcome, iôn-nín," Thranduil answered simply. "I am proud not only of your skills but also of your growing sense of responsibility, and I wanted to show it, even if your begetting day is not until May."

As they left the stable, Sadron poked his head out of his stall and whinnied softly at Legolas.  Legolas paused for a moment to caress him.  "Adar," he began hesitantly, "would you mind if I kept Pilin in the warriors' stables instead of here?  He would be closer when I needed him for a novice exercise, and I think it would be easier on Sadron if he did not see me taking Pilin out to ride."

Thranduil put a hand on his shoulder.   "Of course," he said.  "The decision is yours, and I think that what you are proposing is kind."  Legolas gave Sadron one last pat, and then he and his father went home to evening meal, contented with one another.

***

Legolas walked quickly along the path toward Miriwen's cottage.  The night had turned bitterly cold, and he was looking forward to the warmth of her mother's kitchen.  Her father appeared at the door carrying the sleepy baby and led him into the kitchen, where Miriwen and her mother had the table covered with fabric that they were cutting into pieces to be sewn together into a gown. "Hello, Legolas," said her mother.  "We have not seen you for a while."

"It has been three weeks," Legolas agreed, "but Miriwen was busy on any night that I had free."  Her mother glanced over at Miriwen, who was concentrating on the cut she was making and did not look up.

Having finished the cut, she straightened up and smiled at him.  "Sit down," she said, "and I will get you some hot cider."  He took the chair near the fireplace from which he could watch her and her mother at work and admire the way her hair gleamed in the firelight.  Her father took the rocking chair opposite him and began to soothe the baby into sleep.

"You will never guess what happened today," he began happily and started to tell them about his father's gift. Miriwen's father was very interested in the stallion, and Legolas soon found himself deep in a pleasant discussion of the strengths and faults of the various horses owned by their mutual acquaintances. When at last he looked up, he realized that it was late. Miri and her mother had finished their task and put the sewing supplies away, and Miri was stifling a yawn.

"I am sorry," he exclaimed. "I should not be keeping you up when you have been working such long hours.  Belówen should be more thoughtful. After all, you are probably still not fully recovered from the spider bite."

Miri blushed. "I am well," she protested, "but I am tired."  Legolas saw her parents exchanging a glance that he thought probably meant they were not as sure as their daughter was that she was well.

He rose immediately, said good night, and started for the door with Miri following him.  She stood in the doorway, hugging herself against the cold.  "I will not come out, Legolas," she said.  "It is so cold."

He was disappointed, but he settled for a quick kiss on her forehead.  "Good night," he said and turned away.

"Legolas," she called, and he turned back inquiringly.  "Never mind," she said. "I will tell you the next time I see you." And she withdrew and closed the door.

***

"Eilian," said Siondel, "one of our patrols just escorted Beam from Esgaroth into the warriors' courtyard.  They apparently picked him up from a Border Patrol at the edge of our territory."

Eilian looked up from the sword he was sharpening.  "He was by himself?" he asked, and Siondel nodded in reply. Eilian rose from the bench in the Home Guard's headquarters and followed his lieutenant out into the courtyard.  Beam was just dismounting, and he and Eilian clasped one another's forearms in a warriors' greeting of mutual respect.

Eilian led him inside out of the icy afternoon and offered him warmed wine, which Beam readily accepted.  "It was a cold ride," he admitted.

"You took a chance traveling by yourself," observed Eilian.  "The woods are dangerous."

Beam nodded.  "I know," he said, "but I wanted to make the trip in secret if I could, and it is easier for one man to pass unnoticed."

Eilian raised his eyebrows.  "Unnoticed by whom?" he asked.

"By the Easterlings," said Beam, looking at him squarely. "They have sent someone to talk to the city council at Esgaroth.  I fear that this will mean trouble, Eilian."

Eilian sat very still for a moment and finally said, "I think that whatever you have to say needs to be said in the presence of my adar and my older brother." He rose and placed his cup of wine on the table.  "Come," he said and led Beam out into the pale afternoon sun.  He called a warrior to him and sent a message to Ithilden, and then he started toward the palace.

When Eilian led Beam through the doors into the Great Hall, he saw that Thranduil was still hearing petitions, although he had hoped that his father might be finished for the day by now. He waited near the doorway until Thranduil looked up, saw them, and beckoned them forward.  He dropped to one knee about ten feet from Thranduil's chair and, from the corner of his eye, saw Beam imitating his movement.  The king motioned them to their feet.

"We welcome you to the Woodland Realm," he told Beam and then raised an inquiring eyebrow at Eilian.

"We need to speak to you and Ithilden in private, my lord," Eilian told him. "I have already sent a message to my brother."

To Eilian's satisfaction, Thranduil did not hesitate.  "Very well," he agreed and signaled to one of his advisors to take over hearing petitions while he led Eilian and Beam into a small room off the back of the Great Hall where he usually held meetings requiring more privacy than could be obtained by sending courtiers to the other end of the Great Hall.  The room was nearly filled by a table surrounded by chairs, and Thranduil took the large chair at the table's end and waved them into seats.  The king barely had time to make polite inquiries after the health of Beam's father before Ithilden arrived.  He, too, greeted Beam, who was plainly growing impatient to tell his story. Finally, Thranduil turned to him.  "You have something to tell us?" he asked.

"Yes, my lord," Beam began. "A week ago tomorrow, an Easterling rode into Esgaroth and asked to speak to the master and the trade council.  He had broken none of our laws and, although we watched him, we left him free and allowed him to speak."  He drew a deep breath.  "He said that his master wished for the use of our port and the right to engage in free travel up and down the lake.  When we asked his master's name, he would not give it but said only that it was a name we would know."

The three Elves drew in their breaths sharply. "Sauron," said Thranduil

Beam nodded. "We believe so.  The messenger also said that his master would be glad to send some of his troops to guard Esgaroth." Beam's voice turned bitter, "He said that his master's troops would be much better able to protect us from danger he was sure was coming. I do not believe there is any doubt that he was threatening us and that the danger will come from Sauron if we refuse his offer."

"Surely they could not attack you," Ithliden declared. "They have no army within at least 200 miles."

"I do not think they will send an army," Beam agreed, "but they could harass us and make our lives much more dangerous."

There was a pause.  "What did your council tell him?" Thranduil asked.

"We told him 'no,'" Beam responded simply, "but I do not believe that he will take that answer easily, and we may need the support of the Woodland Realm."  He looked at Thranduil, who looked back impassively.

"What kind of support?" the king asked evenly.

"A sign of friendship," said Beam, "a declaration that those who attack us will be your enemies."

"The creatures of Sauron are already our enemies," said Thranduil.

"We would like the Easterlings to believe that if they attack us, even singly, the warriors of the Woodland Realm will hunt them, just as we do," Beam answered. "We want them to know that you would never permit them to take control of the Long Lake."

There was a long pause.  Eilian tried to read his father's face but could not.  Finally, Thranduil said, "We would certainly hunt them if they came into the Realm, but I will not send our warriors beyond our borders.  We cannot spare them."

"Even if Sauron tries to seize control of the lake?" Beam asked.

Thranduil rose, drawing the rest of them to their feet too.  "You may tell your council that if these Men harm your citizens, we will take them as our enemies," he said.  "If your situation worsens, we will consider other actions."  Beam looked as if he would press further, but then he changed his mind and closed his mouth. Eilian though that was wise.  Beam had gotten as much from Thranduil as he was going to get today.

Thranduil started toward the door and then turned.  "Will you take evening meal with us tonight?" he asked.

"I would be honored," Beam answered with a small bow.

"Good," said Thrandiul.  "Eilian will escort you until then." And he left the room.

Eilian, Ithilden, and Beam all looked at one another. "You did well," Eilian murmured, and the corner of Ithilden's mouth quirked. Beam looked from one to the other.

"I will try to believe that," he said.  They laughed and then went out into the winter afternoon.

 

***

"He is incredibly beautiful," Legolas said, enthusiastically, "and he is so fast that even my adar's horse had trouble keeping up with him."  The four youngest novices were enjoying a brief break in their afternoon's training, and Legolas and Annael had both begun to praise Legolas's new horse again.

"Is that so?" said Galelas.  "I, for one, am already tired of hearing about this wonder-horse.  How would you feel about a little race to demonstrate just how fast he is?"

Legolas turned to him.  "You and I?" he asked.

"Oh, no," Annael protested. "If you and Galelas are going to race, we all should be able to join in the fun."

"We could use the horse training circuit," said Galelas, "and race after we are finished today.  I do not want to have to put up with hearing about this new horse for a day longer than I have to."

Legolas hesitated.  He had ridden Pilin only three times, and he had not yet tried jumping him over obstacles. The horse training course had several demanding jumps, and he was running a risk by trying to take Pilin over them for the first time during a race.  But Galelas was not going to let this rest. That meant, he decided, that there was no time like the present to show Galelas and the other novices exactly how swift Pilin was. "Very well," he said.  "Let us race tonight. Who should officiate?"

They looked at one another and simultaneously broke into grins.  "Tonduil," they chorused.

"We will have to be sure to catch him before he leaves for home," said Isendir practically.

At that moment, Thelion called them back to the field to resume training against the scimitar, but they were all buzzing with excitement.   A race would be an exciting reward at the end of a long day of work.

***

Eilian led Beam toward the horse training circuit where he could see that a small crowd had gathered.  Most of the masters and older novices were there, and he saw Ithilden standing unobtrusively to one side.  He halted next to his brother who nodded at him and Beam.  "So there is going to be a race," Eilian said happily, eyeing the four novices who were leading their horses to the start of the circuit.  Ithilden nodded.

"Thelion found out about their plans and asked me if I would allow it," he said.  "I trust that none of them will break their necks."

"They all ride like they were born on horseback," Eilian protested.

Ithilden cringed slightly.  "Alfirin would not thank you for that image right now," he said dryly.

Eilian laughed.  "My silver dagger against your new bow that the brat will win," he offered.

Ithilden shook his head vigorously. "No bet," he said.  "Find another dupe."

Eilian glanced briefly to his right where Siondel stood in a group of warriors with his eyes on Annael and decided that wagering with his own lieutenant was not a good idea.  Besides, judging from the laughing reaction of the group, Siondel was already engaged in laying a wager with Thelion.  He turned momentarily to Beam, who raised his hands in protest.

"My father always told me never to wager with Elves," he said laughingly. "Elves have forever to recover their losses, and they enjoy themselves whether they win or lose. Men are not so lucky."

Eilian resigned himself to watching a race for once without wagering on it.  He turned back to where Tonduil was lining up the now mounted racers.  The training circuit started near the warriors' stables and made a gentle sweep along level ground before veering into the woods, following a winding path between the trees, and then emerging into the open again.  Jumps of varying difficulty levels were placed along the way.  The watchers here would not be able to see what was happening in the woods, but they would have a good view of the finish line.

Tonduil raised his arm.  "Ready?" he asked.  "Go!"  The four horses that had been tensed at the starting line now sprang eagerly into motion to an accompanying cheer from those watching.  Eilian could see Legolas bent low on the new stallion's neck and, judging from the movement of the horse's ears, he was speaking to it, probably urging it forward.  The four riders swept over the first part of the track in a tight bunch, all of them easily clearing the log barrier that was three-quarters of the way along.

Eilian let out a breath that he had not realized he was holding.  Legolas had been saying just the previous evening that he had not yet had a chance to try riding Pilin over jumps, and not all horses were willing to take to the air, even for Elven riders.  In a flurry of pounding hooves and flying manes, the horses disappeared into the trees.

Eilian turned to Ithilden. "Could you see who was ahead?" he asked urgently.

"I think it was Legolas," Ithilden answered, "but not by much. He and Galelas were neck and neck.  That grey horse of his is very fast on level ground."

Eilian shook his head.  "He will never keep up in the long run," he predicted.  "Galelas is heavy, and I have seen that horse have trouble when it has to maneuver quickly among the trees."

They could now hear distant cheers from Elves perched in trees watching the wooded part of the track, and they strained their ears, trying to make out what names the watchers might be calling.  The noise moved closer and closer to them, and then the riders burst out of the trees, and this time, there was no doubt.  Legolas was in the lead, but Annael was on his right flank, using heels and voice to urge his long-legged black stallion forward. As Eilian had predicted, Galelas had dropped back and was trailing even Isendir, whose agile mount was now moving up quickly.

"Come on!" Eilian shouted, and he could hear Ithilden and even Beam shouting too.

Accompanied by cheers from the watching Elves, the racers sped toward them and then past them, and Tonduil raised his arms.  "Legolas, by a nose," he shouted.  Then he added, "The horse's nose, of course, not his."  The Elves around him laughed and then immediately began exchanging whatever items had been wagered and lost.

"I will see you at home," Ithilden said, with a satisfied look, and slipped away. Eilian could see the novice masters doing the same thing.  He knew that they did not want to be too obvious in congratulating Legolas, but he had no such scruples.  He surged forward to speak to his little brother, only pausing for a moment next to the disgruntled-looking Galelas.

"Good ride," he said truthfully.  "You managed to get the best that horse has to offer out of him, I think."

"Thank you," said Galelas rather stiffly, but he did look somewhat mollified.  He stroked the sweaty neck of his horse and then led it away toward the stables to be rubbed down.

Trailed by Beam, Eilian now strode to where Legolas stood.  He had been thumped on the back by other novices, but they were now beginning to move away, for it was growing late. Eilian could see Siondel walking toward the stables with Annael, his hand on his son's shoulder.  "Nice race, brat!" he cried.  "How did the horse do on the jumps?"

Legolas grinned, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "He sailed over them like he was flying," he crowed.

Eilian grinned back at him.  "Adar does know how to choose horses," he said.  Legolas's eyes had gone past him to take in Beam, and Eilian introduced them.

Legolas extended his hand, courteously using the human manner of greeting.  "We have met before," he said.  "You came with the Esgaroth Master in September."

"Beam will be taking evening meal with us," Eilian told him. "Speaking of which, we should be going.  Take care of your horse and hurry home or you will be late."

Legolas nodded and led Pilin off toward the stables.  The excitement of the race still flowed through him. Sometimes life was almost unbearably good.

***

Legolas hurried into the family dining room where everyone else was already seated.  He had gotten home and bathed and changed as quickly as he could, but he was still not on time.  "I am sorry, Adar," he apologized and then slid into his place.  Thranduil regarded him coolly.

"I understand that you are late because you chose to engage in a race," he said.

"Yes, Adar," Legolas admitted.

There was a moment's silence.  "Who won?" asked Thranduil.

Legolas felt his face dissolve into a grin.  "I did," he said.  His father's eyes gleamed in response, but he said nothing more and sedately set about drawing their guest into a conversation about how trade was faring in Esgaroth.  In the past year, Legolas had grown increasingly aware that such talk from Thranduil was not a matter of innocent politeness.  His father was learning what he could about matters that could affect the Woodland Realm.  But Legolas found Beam's conversation interesting for its own sake.

"Do you really trade with the dwarves?" he asked curiously.  And when Beam nodded, he asked, "What are they like?"

Beam considered.  "Hard-working," he said, "brave, stubborn, suspicious. It is not easy to get the better of a dwarf in a trade."  He shrugged. "They are like most other people, I suppose, a mix of good and bad."

From the corner of his eye, Legolas could see his father's hand tighten on his cup of wine.  Legolas had heard Thranduil talk often enough of the betrayal of the dwarves at Doriath.  He did not believe that his father would harm a dwarf who had done him no evil, but he also knew that Thranduil had no particular wish to associate with Aule's children.  The conversation swept on to speculate about when the ice would break up on the lake, and ships would be able to navigate it again.  Legolas was not scheduled to visit Miriwen this evening because, once again, she was too busy to see him.  He regretted that, but he was happy enough to sit with his family and their guest and talk about the world they shared.

***

Legolas dreamed that he was floating down a river in a small boat.  He had never realized that the Forest River was so wide, he thought in some surprise.  A figure was huddled in the prow of the boat, and he thought at first that it was some sort of animal.  Suddenly he realized that it was a dwarf!  How funny, he thought, amused by the unlikely sight.  Then he turned into another path and once again rode Pilin through the training circuit, flying through the winter chill.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List