Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

We Will Follow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Eleven - Pervinca’s Treasure

Two Weeks and One Day Later...

Pim sat on the back of the wagon counting and weighing baskets of corn, tomatoes, carrots and anything else her father grew in his fields. She beckoned for the next worker to step up to the scale. “Come along now, Pippin! I don’t have all day!” She hid her smirk behind the tablet she was writing on.

“It seems to me that I do.” Pippin’s remark garnered laughs from his sister and cousin standing behind him.

“Actually, two of you have until the rest of summer,” Pim smiled triumphantly, earning scowls from her cousin and siblings. She added with mock concern for her cousin, “I’m sorry, Merry, your fun ends today. After today, from what I understand, Uncle Sara and Aunt Essie have more plans for you.”

Merry looked disdainfully at his cousin sitting upon the wagon, wiping sweat from his forehead. He mumbled something about this being the longest two weeks of his life.

Pimpernel glared at her brother, “It appears as though you’ve tried to bring the entire vine to market. Take all the stems off the tomatoes, Pippin.”

Pippin looked at his sister, “You’re joking, right?” He saw she wasn’t smiling. He shook his head in disbelief that his father would actually entrust the administration of his farm to this oppressor.

She scowled at him in return, “No, I am not joking.”

Pippin’s partners-in-crime were indignant. “Pippin!” they grumbled. Now Merry and Pervinca would have to wait until their errant counterpart cleaned off his tomatoes completely. They plopped down to the ground to wait. Both were hot, grimy, and sweaty...as was Pippin. The teenager sank to his knees, plucking the stems off of the tomatoes.

Pim waited for Pippin work several tomatoes and then said, “All right, Pip, I am half-joking!” Pippin halted for her next words. Pim waved her hand indicating for him to move to the side. “Take your basket over there and pick off what you can, then when I am finished with Merry and Pervinca, I will take your basket. But really, Pippin, you must leave as much of the vine on the plant as possible--so we can have more tomatoes for you to pick towards the end of summer!”

Now it was Pippin’s turn to be derisive. He sighed heavily as he pulled his basket off to the side, dramatically throwing the vines to the ground as he picked them off the produce.

Merry was next to step up and weigh his basket of corn. He watched as his older slowly shook her head, scribbling something on her tablet.

Merry wiped more sweat from his brow, “I suppose I should have shucked the corn before bringing it up here?”

Pim peered over her tablet at her cousin. “Don’t mock me, Merry. Allow me a little fun, will you? It’s not often I’m actually given permission to boss my brother and sister around.”

Pervinca interjected, “Not having permission has never stopped you before.”

Pim narrowed her eyes at her younger sibling, “For that, little sister...,” But Pim couldn’t keep from laughing at the expression on their faces, “you may all sit in the shade for a little while. You’ve all done well--even Pippin--though he nearly made us paupers by digging up the entire tomato plants.”

All three youths stared at their taskmaster. “I’m not joking this time--honest.” She laughed again, “You may all take a rest for a while--try that oak tree over there. The water cart shall be here any minute.” She was still smiling when she fell back to her writing.

Merry and Pervinca helped Pippin with the remaining stems then ambled slowly towards the tall oak tree, following other field workers that went ahead of them.

“Twenty five years old and she thinks she’s a gift sent by the Valar to count tomatoes,” Merry said sarcastically.

Pippin sat down and let himself drop backward in the comforting shade. “I’ve learned my lesson, how bout you?” He looked at Merry.

Pervinca spoke up before Merry could answer, “You two will never learn your lesson.”

Merry grinned, “How do you know?” He groaned as he also dropped back onto the cool, shaded ground.

“What’s that?” Pervinca saw a small object fall from Merry’s pocket.

Merry crinkled his brow, “What’s what?”

“That!” She pointed towards the object on the ground next to his pocket. “It’s beautiful.”

Merry looked to where she was pointing, and then saw it. He picked it up to show it to his friends. “I don’t know,” he said, holding it aloft. “I’m still trying to figure it out for myself.” It was a crystal, multi-sided shaped ball that fit in the palm of Merry’s hand.

“What’s inside it?” asked Pippin, noticing a peculiar light the little ball illuminated from within.

Merry held it out toward the sunlight where it almost became invisible, and then in the darker parts of the shade where it seemed to have a light all it’s own.

Pervinca gaped at it. “It’s magic--and it’s so pretty! Where did you find it?”

“I didn’t,” said Merry. “I think Frodo slipped it into my pocket when we said goodbye.”

“Where do you think he found it?” Pervinca’s curiosity was piqued; she loved “pretty rocks” such as these. If any more were to be found, she wanted to know what her prospects were to find one for herself.

Merry shrugged, “I don’t think Frodo found it, either.” He gave Pippin a side-glance. “I, um...I think it was given to him.”

“Given to him? By whom?”

“Pervinca!” Pippin chided his sister, “You’re being nosy again. It’s none of our business.”

I’m being nosy? I’ll wager as soon as my back is turned, you’ll ask Merry the same question.” Pervinca sighed; she felt as though she would never see another pretty rock like this one. “I’m sorry, Merry. I only wanted to know.”

Merry thought about it as he weighed the little ball in his hand. It was indeed a pretty thing, but where would he be able to keep such a lovely gift so safe? He was afraid that between Brandy Hall, Bag End, and Great Smials the beautiful stone would be lost.

“Here.” Merry took Pervinca’s hand, upturned it, then dropped the little crystalline ball into her palm.

Her eyes went wide. She looked up at Merry, “Y-you’re giving this to me?”

“Merry!” Pippin’s own jaw dropped.

“Yes,” he said. “My birthday is next month and I’ve decided to give you an early gift.”

Pervinca, mouth gaping open, then clutched the little ball and embraced her cousin, “Thank you! Thank you, Merry!” She opened her palm to survey the wonderful, clear object. So lovely it looked! “I shall treasure it forever,” she said, kissing his cheek.

Merry knew Pervinca meant it when she said a gift would be treasured. He knew then that it would be kept safe forever.

In later months and years, Merry and Pippin would often talk to Frodo about his strange trip...and his strange gift. But Frodo would only smile and say nothing. Perhaps Frodo did visit Elves, but it wouldn’t be until the autumn of S.R. 1418 that they would know for sure.

 

~~~ THE END ~~~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List