Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

We Will Follow  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Six - We Will Follow You

Frodo pulled back on the pony’s reins as he approached his two young cousins lying underneath the boughs of the trees, obviously fast asleep. His travelling companion steadied his own mount, bringing the horse to a halt.

“I did not realize hobbits could travel so swiftly!” remarked the Elf. Strapped to the back of the elf’s low saddle was the same heavy pack that Frodo was desperate to get to the Woody End.

“Hobbits travel with haste when we have a mind to,” Frodo answered. “Thank you, Rhiannen. I can go on from here.”

“As you wish. Do have any word for me to take back to Imladris?”

Frodo thought on this many times. What would he tell Bilbo if ever he were given the chance? At first he thought to send word of how much he missed the old hobbit. But no, that would only put Bilbo on edge and make him think he left behind a tween instead of an adult hobbit, Master of his own home. Finally he shook his head at the Elf, “No, thank you, Rhiannen. You are kind.”

“Fare you well, then, Frodo Baggins. We shall meet again.” Rhiannen turned his horse round and whispered something in its ear. The horse snorted, eager to run.

Frodo watched horse and rider disappear into the woods. He slid down from his pony, walking over to Merry. “Merry!” Frodo softly called to his friend, “Merry!”

Merry felt something prodding his shoulder, rousing him from a sweet slumber. He opened his eyes, trying to focus on the face that hovered over him. “Frodo?”

“It’s me, dear cousin.”

“But...how did you get here?” Merry was now fully awake, leaning on one elbow and rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hand. He whispered, “I thought you would be at Woody End.”

“I was,” Frodo answered, “but I’ve finished my business there and so now I’ve found you.”

Merry shook his head, “Found me? You couldn’t have found us--and so quickly.” Merry sat up, “Something...or someone had to have led you here in the middle of these woods.”

Frodo ignored his cousin’s guess, rummaging around in his pack for nothing in particular.

“Well?” Merry continued in a low voice so as not to awaken Pippin. They both completely forgot that Pippin could feign sleep very well.

Frodo continued to search through his bag, “Well, what?”

Merry sighed in exasperation, “Who are they?”

“Merry, I do believe you’re not yourself right now. You’ve just awoken from a long afternoon nap.”

Merry jerked the bag out of Frodo’s grasp, “I am not mad, and don’t insinuate that I am! First, you run off and leave us behind on the East Road--all for the sake of getting your sack to the Woody End. Pippin and I were nearly mauled by watchdogs last night because we were hungry and had nothing to eat. It just so happens that immediately after the attack, we see an Elf appear out of thin air. Now after a whole day of travel--for us--you also appear...out of nowhere it seems. What kind of game are you playing with us?”

Frodo snatched his bag back from Merry, “Games? I am not playing any sort of games.”

“Then tell me the truth. What is going on?”

Frodo sat with his back against the side of the road, “I told you before, Merry, I have been charged to not tell.”

It seemed to Merry as if he’d been down this road with his cousin before. “What if you were in deep trouble?” He asked, “What then?”

“But I wasn’t in any trouble, and I remember telling you so,” answered Frodo.

“That’s the problem, Cousin. You wouldn’t tell us even if you were. The only way for us to know that you weren’t in any trouble was to follow you, and you must know that we will follow you into a dragon’s lair if need be!”

Frodo paused and became quiet. “Yes,” he said in his response, fingering the leather string on his pack. “Yes, I know you both would and…sometimes that’s why I don’t tell you lads everything.”

Merry was calming down. He discerned Frodo was genuinely apologetic for separating himself from the group, in spite of other possibilities that Merry felt he could‘ve taken. “Frodo, you’re our cousin and we love you. We care about what happens to you. Will you not let us have a small part in doing that?”

Frodo was taken aback. He blinked in uncertainty as he felt the cool touch of the golden trinket in his pocket. Then Frodo felt Merry reach over to embraced him. Letting go of the bauble, he wrapped both arms about Merry; the uncertainty disappeared. Frodo buried his face in the warmth of his cousin’s hug, “I will.” Frodo loosed his hold on Merry, “It astounds me to know that I have the dearest of friends right here.”

“And dear Frodo, please don’t leave us stranded in the middle of the road next time.” Pippin was now sitting up, rubbing the faerie sand from his eyes.

“I thought you were asleep!” Frodo laughed. “I should have known better.”

“I was asleep,” said Pippin, standing up to brush the road dust off of his breeches, “but I awoke oh…about the same time Merry first woke. But don’t think you’ll ever be able to give us the slip again like you did yesterday, Frodo. We’ll be on the look out from now on.”

Frodo smiled at his two cousins. He indeed felt lucky to have two wonderful cousins as the best of friends. He asked, “Have you two eaten?”

“Yes, we have had lunch,” said Pippin, “but we could do with another. That might help put things to right.”

The hobbits feasted not only on provisions from Woodhall, but unbeknownst to Merry and Pippin, the scrumptious bread they were eating was made by the Elves.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List