Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Master of Comforts  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Two - Memories and Memoirs

Saradoc was stunned at the enormous crowd of family members having tea in the dining room. Old Rory was a well liked hobbit and had friends in every corner of the Shire. It heartened him that they all found time to bid farewell to one of the Hall’s best Masters.

The warm welcome and handshakes from the guests milling about equally astounded Saradoc as he made his way through the room. It was Merry who answered the guests with warm replies as he continued to guide his father towards the dining table. A servant held out Saradoc’s chair for him to sit at the table laden with an assortment of biscuits and cakes. There were trays at either end of the long table that held tea urns along with milk and honey.

Before Saradoc sat down, he bid the guests a warm welcome, “Good afternoon, everyone.” Those were all the words his tongue could find to say.

“Good afternoon,” came the guests reply. He looked about the long table at all the familiar faces he knew and loved. At his left was his lovely wife, Esmeralda. Her brown tresses now mingled with silver, as were his own. Upon his right was his son, Merry, and going down further he saw his brother Merimac and nephew Berilac. Next were Cousin Marmadas and his family, and cousin Seredic and his brood. Coming back up the other side was his brother-in-law, Paladin, representing himself and an aging Thain, and with him his wife, Eglantine, their son and two of their daughters. Sitting between Esmeralda and Pearl was cousin Frodo. It was mostly a quiet affair with quiet conversation. Mostly it was the elders recalling joyous or loving moments with Old Rory, and the stories were treasured by all.

After a respectable amount of time had passed, the junior hobbits excused themselves one by one, each to their own activities. Merry and Frodo, joined by their Took cousins walked the garden path adjacent to the Brandywine, seeking shelter from the cold breeze inside one of the semi-enclosed verandas.

The benches inside provided more than enough seating room yet Pippin continued to pace around. As the rest of the group found seats (very cold seats!) they began to catch up on news of one another.

“This is a turnabout, Merry,” Pimpernel said, taking in the sights around her. “For once, we are visiting you at your home--while you’re here!” Chuckles from Merry and the group. Then she said further, “This is quite pleasant. How are you faring these days in the Hall?”

It had been a while since he last compared ‘before and after’ thoughts in his head. “As well as can be, I suppose,” he replied. He thought more on his cousin’s remark and added, “I’ve found that while I’m not perfect, neither is my dad.” Then he grinned, “and guilt can be a wonderful thing!” They all laughed.

“You’ll never change, Merry Brandybuck,” Pervinca laughed. “You’ve always been a little on the naughty side.”

Merry laughed, “And you’ve always been right behind Pippin and I!”

“I’m not naughty! I’m just slightly....willful at times.” Pippin smirked, gazing out of the open window.

“You needn’t mimic the neighbors here, Pip,” said Pimpernel. She watched as Pippin continued to walk from one window to the next, sit down, then get up and start the cycle all over again. “Pippin, why won’t you sit down?” Her nose was turning red from the cold; her hands still clung to each other inside her muff.

Pippin had his hands in his pockets, watching the lazy Brandywine drift on by. “I’m not bothering anyone, am I?” He covered his mouth as he coughed.

“No--well, yes. Your pacing around inside here is bothering me. Are you feeling well?”

Pippin did feel a bit out of sorts but disliked this sort of attention. He bored his green eyes into his elder sister’s as he submitted to her wishes.

Frodo, puffing on his pipe, watched the young hobbit take a seat next to Pervinca. “Your sister only cares for you, Pip.” Pippin didn’t reply at all.

“He’s been ill recently,” offered Merry. “How long have you been up from your bed, Pip?”

“It’s only been three days,” Pimpernel answered, her frosty breath wafted from her lips. “He’s been dreadfully ill off and on since the harvest. Father was going to ask Cousin Addie to watch over him while we were gone, but Addie came down with a cold himself. Father decided to let Pippin come along after he begged and pleaded with mother, but it seems to have worn him out.”

“I am not worn out!” Pippin sat on the bench with his head in his hands.

Frodo smiled as he blew out frosty smoke, “Seems rather spirited to me.”

Pippin sighed, “I just hated being cooped up in bed for so long, and I really....” He trailed off.

Pervinca asked, “You really what?” But Pippin would say nothing further.

Frodo put his empty pipe into his coat pocket and rubbed his hands together, “Let’s say we head back to a warm fire and hot tea, eh?” Agreements came from all around.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List