Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Five

“Where’s Momma?” Pippin had wondered out to the kitchen to join in lunch as Merry rested indoors today. Such was the advice of the healer. He--or rather him and one of his sisters would take Merry in another tray of lighter foods.

“The Post arrived with letters, and well....you know mother!” Pearl craned her neck round to see through the window. “That poor Messenger,” she shook her head. “His ears must be worn down to nubs by now!”

Pippin was about to ask for help with the tray when Merry entered the kitchen and sat down. “Auntie is out there still? I wonder what’s so interesting to hold her audience for so long.”

“You’re supposed to be in bed, Merry,” Pearl chided her young cousin.

“I’m feeling a little better. Can’t I sit out here for lunch?” Merry looked so forlorn even Pearl couldn’t deny him.

Just then Eglantine opened the kitchen door holding a bundle of letters. She set the entire pile on the little table to the right as she came in except for one, slipping it into her apron pocket.

Pearl caught her mother placing one of the envelopes in her pocket, but said nothing. It was obviously a clandestine move by her mother.

“Merry lad!” Eglantine sat in the chair next to her nephew, “What in the Shire are you doing out of bed in just your nightshirt? Go and fetch your night-coat before you catch a chill, or you shan’t have any lunch.” Merry had traipsed about the house without a night-coat before, but there was a reason why she sent him to his room.

“Yes, ma’am.” Merry got up and left the kitchen.

After he left, Eglantine took out the envelope she hid in her pocket and laid it in front of her daughters. Pearl picked up the small envelope, took out the parchment and began to read,

Dear Paladin, I wish to visit with my son, Merry. I shall arrive shortly before supper tonight. I trust this will not inconvenience you.

Regards,

Saradoc Brandybuck"

Pearl looked up at her mother and passed the letter to Pimpernel, “Do you think Merry will want to see his father so soon?”

Eglantine shrugged, “He has not spoken to me at all about his father so I don’t know how he feels. I rather hoped he had done so with his uncle, or at the very least with one of his cousins.” She looked at her brood.

Pearl shook her head, “He has not spoken to me.” Then she nudged her sister sitting beside her, “You, Pervinca?” The younger girl shook her head.

Unable to take her eyes from the script, Pim also shook her head. She replied, “No, he hasn‘t spoken to me since Bag End, but it shouldn’t take much of a guess as to which person he has.” They all looked at Pippin.

Pippin shrank in his chair. He and Merry did have conversations, but Merry made him promise not to tell. “Don’t look at me,” he protested, “Merry went to sleep right after breakfast.”

Pim finally looked up from the letter, “I only hope Merry is ready for all of this.”

“Ready or not,” Eglantine answered, “Saradoc Brandybuck will be our guest for supper this evening.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List