Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Note: This is actually the beginning chapter of the second story. As a result, the pace may feel different as well at the undertones but the story is still very much the same as it's a continuation of the first one--minus the scenes that just don‘t push the story. There are still those angsty moments, but there are lighter ones as well--and as always, a little mischief. Thank you to Grey Wonderer and others who have taken the time to not only read, but give me feedback.

Chapter Twenty Three

Merry walked down the hallway towards his room at Whitwell assisted by his Uncle Paladin. It was slow going, as he placed his hand against the wall for support. Halfway down the hall his head swam as another wave of nausea hit him. His headache was brought back in force from the jostling ride back to Whitwell.

Saradoc Brandybuck, after a long discourse with Paladin Took, traveled back to Brandy Hall--alone. Paladin convinced his brother-in-law that Whitwell was the most practical place for Merry to be, as it was a much shorter ride to Tuckborough than to Buckland. Saradoc expressed that he was still very much interested in reconciling with his son, and would visit Whitwell in a few weeks; enough time for Merry to digest all that had happened and to see his future more clearly.

Merry tried so hard to hold in his nausea...to wait. He was cursing himself for eating a heavy breakfast before leaving Bag End. Merry didn’t quite make it to the basin in his room. His breakfast was now splattered all over the floor in front of him and down his shirt. He felt the strong arms of his uncle lift him up off his feet and carry him the rest of the way down hall to his room.

Paladin quickly found that Merry wasn’t quite the little lad he used to be--and neither was he! He was laboring a little as he made it to the end of the long hallway. “Pearl!” Paladin called after his eldest daughter, “Come here, lass, and open the door.” Then he called over his shoulder, “Take heed for the mess!”

“Yes, Father,” Pearl winced, “I...see it.” She caught up with her father and opened the door. She let the door swing wide open and then she went to the bed to turn down the blankets.

She checked the water pitcher on his bureau. “I’m going to fetch fresh water,” she said as she left the room.

Paladin carefully set Merry on the bed and helped him take his shirt off, “Are you feeling any better, Merry?”

Merry’s stomach still felt queasy. He closed his eyes, “ask me that again later.” He held out his arms as his uncle took off the soiled shirt he‘d borrowed from Frodo.

Paladin reached inside Merry’s wardrobe for a clean nightshirt. “I will do that.” He gazed at his nephew reclining on the bed. “Well at least your color is returning,” he answered, slipping the clean garment over Merry’s head. Paladin then held onto Merry’s arm as he stood up, “For a moment out there you were as white as your pillow cover!”

Merry unfastened his breeches and let them drop as the bottom of his nightshirt fell to his knees. He sat back down on the bed and let his uncle take his legs out. Merry felt absolutely no strength for the task. He lay back onto the pillows and brought the covers over himself. “I feel so worn out.“

Paladin tucked in the blankets, “I’ll make certain no one disturbs you for a while, but I will check in on you after supper.”

“Thank you,” Merry whispered; his eyelids were getting heavy.

After his uncle left Merry alone in his room, he immediately felt the peace and tranquility calm his head and stomach. As sleep stole him away, he could hear a still, small voice echoing in his head, “...You are the flower of my meadow and the star in my sky, but do you know this? ...”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List