Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty

Paladin ran into the room with Bilbo, Frodo, and Pippin behind him, “Saradoc, please stand over there.” Paladin indicated to where Bilbo stood and tried to look at Merry’s face. Merry’s hands gripped each side of his head and his eyes were clenched shut. Merry gasped with sobs. Paladin looked at Saradoc, “When did this start?”

“Shortly after I entered the room,” he answered. He stood dejectedly next to Bilbo.

“Merry, open your eyes,“ Paladin instructed. Merry was clearly upset, but between gasps he opened his eyes for Paladin then instantly shut them again. “Someone shut the drapes, please.” Frodo and Pippin fell to the task. “Is that better, Merry?”

Merry still held his head and sobbed, but nodded. Paladin let out a sigh, “It’s probably no more than because you’re upset, lad. You need to try and calm down a bit. Saradoc--can you leave him alone for a little while?”

Saradoc gave a puzzled look to Paladin. Paladin nodded that it was all right. Saradoc turned and limped out of the room with Bilbo following him.

Paladin held Merry and soothed him, “Shhhh. Calm down, son. ” Paladin gently rubbed Merry’s back while he sobbed into his pillow.

Pippin leaned against the bedroom wall watching the scene before him, worry etched on his face.

Paladin saw the lad’s concern. “Merry will be fine, Pippin. He has a terrible, terrible headache right now, and we must try not to upset him further.” Paladin didn’t want to overburden a child with matters of the heart, but Pippin surprised him with his response.

“After all this time, papa, why does Uncle Saradoc want Merry now? Will he take Merry from us?”

Paladin smiled inwardly--Merry was really never 'theirs'. “I don’t know about that, Pip,” he said, “but don’t be afraid; what you, Merry, and I have together, no one, not even Saradoc can ever take that away.” then Paladin leaned closer to Merry, “Did you hear that, Merry? No one!” Paladin wondered to himself--was he able to give up Merry?

Merry quieted down. The room was darker, and that helped, but his head still throbbed.

“Merry, please try to calm down a bit. Tea is almost here and I want you to be able to eat a little bit.” He said further, “You haven’t eaten all day and you need your strength to get better.” Then he stood up to leave, “I’m going to have a word with your father, all right?”

Paladin left Merry in the hands of Frodo and Pippin, and met Saradoc in the sitting room with Bilbo.

Saradoc inquired, “Is Merry all right?”

Paladin said inwardly, you ask only now? What about when he was five years old and had nightmares of you? Or when he was eight--being teased by the other boys because his father would have nothing to do with his son?

Paladin sat down, smoothing his own hair away from his face with his hands. He indicated for Saradoc to sit down as well. “Perhaps I misjudged, Sara. Perhaps this isn’t the best time to try and win Merry over.”

“What are you talking about? Why not?”

Paladin answered calmly, “If you haven’t noticed, your son is very ill right now, and your presence apparently disturbs him greatly. That was my error. I daresay I believe you got his attention, though.” Paladin gave Saradoc a weak smile. “I would suggest limiting your bedroom visits, but I say again, do not leave until I say it’s all right to do so.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List