Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Sixteen

Frodo awoke to bright sunshine and birds chirping in the autumn breeze. He’d left the window open a bit while he slept, so he felt the chilly morning breeze touch his face as he arose.

Once Merry had fallen back to sleep, exhaustion soon overtook Frodo. He retired to his own room, changed into his nightshirt and went to bed. Now that he was awake, he groaned and turned over. He felt as if he hadn‘t slept a wink. It must be past second breakfast and onto elevenses by now, he thought. He could smell food cooking. Frodo sat up and rubbed his tired eyes. It seemed like a dream far away, but no, he knew better. Merry lay in the next room with and injured head and Pippin lay in another room nursing a headache from too much wine and ale. He wondered if Saradoc or Paladin had made it in yet. He did not relish Paladin confronting him; Pippin was his youngest child and only son, and there recently had been talk of Paladin inheriting the title of Thain. Merry was Saradoc’s only son as well, but he and Merry had had differences since...well, since Merry could walk and talk. If Frodo remembered his cousin at all, he reckoned Saradoc probably wouldn’t even come.

He laid aside the quilt and got up. Padding towards the wash basin, he washed his hands and weary face. As he dried his face with the towel he heard voices in the hallway. One he recognized--it was Bilbo. His hair stood on end when he recognized the other. He grabbed his toothbrush and began brushing his teeth. There was a heated discussion going on, and it seemed to grow hotter. He spat out the swill and quietly tip toed to the door. He opened it only enough to peer with one eye.

“I am taking my son home now, and if you try to stop me I will have the Shirrifs here faster than you can imagine!”

“I don’t recommend it, Saradoc,” Bilbo answered. “I highly recommend you let the boy lie here until he is well enough to travel.”

“He will receive the best of care at Brandy Hall. Give me my son!” Without meaning to, the door creaked open far more than Frodo wished.

“Frodo, lad,” Bilbo sounded relieved to see the tween up and about. “Come on out and welcome our guest.”

Frodo was still in his nightshirt but came out into the hallway to greet the visitor. “Hullo, sir,“ Frodo held out his hand, “It‘s nice--”

“Never mind the courtesies, lad, I know who you are. I want to see my son!”

“Frodo,” Bilbo offered, taking the large walking stick out of the other hobbit’s grip, “why don’t you escort Saradoc to Merry?”

Frodo’s feet felt like lead with every step he took. Without the walking stick it Saradoc was leaning heavily on Frodo‘s arm. “A recent spill,” Saradoc explained, and that was all he said on the matter.

After Frodo helped Saradoc settle into a chair in Merry’s room, he spotted Paladin through the window riding up on a pony. Gracious me!, Frodo thought, will I survive this day? Frodo excused himself from Saradoc and went out to meet Paladin.

Paladin knocked on the door, and then as all relatives do, he opened the door and walked in. Frodo met him--still in his nightshirt.

Paladin looked at the sight before him and said, “Lad, I don’t know what sort of hours you keep here, but I’m looking for my son, Pippin.” Then he saw Pearl in there in the kitchen preparing elevenses. “Pearl,” he called, “what is going on?”

Pearl took her father aside for a cup of tea and bread, and told him the whole story; from the arrival down to Merry‘s awakening during the night.

Paladin shook his head at all the nonsense. “Honestly, Pearl, what in the Shire goes through my son’s head? Drinking ale? Climbing a tree? I know he can be a handful, but how difficult is it to keep an eye on an eight-year-old boy?” Paladin sat in the chair frustrated. “Where was Bilbo when all of this was going on?” Paladin had a huge puzzle to solve, and to bring it all into perspective, he needed to talk to his son. “Where is he?”

“Bilbo?”, asked Frodo.

“No, Frodo, I first want to see my son, Pippin,” said Paladin. Then added, “But yes, after that, I would like a word with cousin Bilbo.”

Inwardly, Frodo rolled his eyes; this was only going to get better!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List