Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Eleven

Pippin decided that he would do more listening than babbling this evening. No good to chatter on like a hobbit-child when in the company of grown hobbits--or nearly grown hobbits. The teen Pippin didn’t recognize came up to him and introduced himself as Folco Boffin. “Welcome,” he said and shook Pippin’s hand.

“Gather round, everyone,” called Frodo. “It’s time for presents! I decided to give special gifts to my dearest friends.”

Folco and Fredegar opened their gifts. Each received one of Frodo’s most cherished books. Sam opened his gift next’ the gardener received a pair of fine leather gloves. Frodo explained they were to be used when handling rough plants, such as roses. Sam went red in the face.

To Pippin’s utter surprise, Frodo handed him a gift. Pippin opened the wrapping to find none other than...his very own pipe! It was a bit smaller than his father’s pipe, hand carved from dark walnut wood and was polished to a sleek, smooth surface. His delightful smile gave away is heart. Pippin looked up at Frodo, trying to contain his excitement, saying with all sincerity, “Thank you, Frodo.” Frodo smiled in satisfaction.

Last, but not least, was Merry. Frodo moved over to where Merry sat, pulled a chair up to him and took his cousin’s hands in his own. He said, “I have no material gift to offer because the gift I impart to you is shelter in this humble dwelling. Far away from heavy burdens...and the storms of life. You are most welcome here, Merry, for as long as you wish.”

Merry seemed genuinely stunned. He stammered, “T-t-to stay, you mean?” Frodo nodded. Merry just stared at his cousin, then finally spoke, “I don’t know what to say.”

Frodo laughed, “’Thank you’ will suffice--and to say that you will at least consider moving to Bag End.”

Now Pippin was stunned. He thought for sure Merry would choose to live at Whitwell. While everyone was standing round patting Merry on the back and congratulating him on his wonderful gift, Pippin slipped out of the room.

When would Merry leave? In the middle of the night? Didn’t Merry feel welcome at Whitwell? Would Merry even think to say goodbye to him? Why doesn’t Merry want to live with us--or me? Is he still angry with me? All these thoughts raced through Pippin’s mind as he made his way towards the door, and on his way out....he filled his mug...again.

Just as Pippin opened the door to walk out into the crisp night air, he heard a familiar voice. “Pippin!” It was his sister Pervinca. Pippin rolled his eyes with the anticipation of Pervinca getting on his last nerve.

“Where do you think you’re going,” she asked as she attempted to stand between Pippin and the outdoors.

“Outside,” he growled in response, shoving past his sister, “now out of my way!”

Pervinca was shocked at her brother’s behavior, “I’m telling Papa about you.”

“I’m so scared!” Pippin shouted over his shoulder as he walked into the darkness.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List