Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Three

After a while, the two older hobbits’ conversation moved to more serious subjects. Pippin lay quietly against the tree with his eyes closed, even while he started to feel better. If they knew he was listening they would stop talking, considering him too young to understand such things.

“So, Mer, visiting your Uncle Paladin again, eh?”

Merry sighed, blowing smoke rings, “Yes I am.”

“What about your father? Does he know you’re gone this time?”

“I think so...” Merry passed the pipe back over to Frodo.

Frodo held it and looked at it for a moment before he went on. “Merry...you know you’re always welcome at Bag End. Just make sure you’re father knows next time.” Frodo spoke with a sad grin, and then puffed on the pipe.

Pippin was learning a lot, here! Merry went to Bag End and never told his father?! He ran away from home! The realization hit Pippin in the stomach like a rock. He’d learned of Merry’s estrangement with his father last summer, but never in his wildest dreams did he think Merry would go to such lengths as to run away from home.

Then Pippin heard the voices grow more quiet.

“I saw her, Frodo.” It was Merry’s voice. “The day after you and I last spoke, I saw her at the Hobbiton Market.” Merry looked at his older cousin and smiled.

“Did she say anything?”

“She said hullo,” Merry quipped. They both snickered, then Merry added, “and then she asked me if I was going to your birthday party!”

“No! She asked you?”

“Yes!”

“Well of all the luck, Merry! What did you say?”

“I told her I’d think about it.”

“Meriadoc Brandybuck! If you told her anything other than 'yes' I’ll rap you over the head myself,” laughed Frodo. “I envy you, Merry. No lass has ever asked me to a party--not even my own!” They both laughed at the notion.

Pippin’s ears remained fixated on their conversation...Merry was sweet on a hobbit lass!

Merry became flushed and smiled.

Frodo prodded his cousin, “Come, Merry--what else?”

“We, um....no. I'd better not say.” He threw a look in Pippin’s direction.

Frodo gazed over to Pippin, “Looks like he’s asleep.”

“Don’t believe everything you see with Pippin!” Merry got up and gave Pippin a nudge with his foot.

Pippin didn’t move. Next, Merry got down on his knees and started to tickle Pippin. Almost instantly the boy began wriggling, “Stop!” Pippin was laughing uncontrollably, “Stop! That wasn’t fair!”

“Neither is eavesdropping,” said Frodo

“I wasn’t eavesdropping,” argued Pippin. “You both spoke so loud even the Barrow Wights beyond the Old Forest could hear you.”

Frodo shook his head. Pippin was like...a troublesome little brother--which he never had. At least not since Merry when he lived at Brandy Hall. He now understood what Merry saw in befriending this little cousin of theirs. Never before had he met a young hobbit with so much spunk, and this lad was sharp-witted, too. Frodo didn’t let on, but he was beginning to like Pippin.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List