Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

MERRY’S DECISION (I & II)

PROLOGUE: This is a story I wrote close to a year ago (in two parts) and posted it on fanfiction.net (Merry‘s Big Decision). There was not too much tweaking involved in the transition to SOA, so most of the story is still intact. After a year of writing and settling into ‘my’ characters, I did re-write one or two paragraphs to better convey the character’s emotions. Plus I heavily decreased the language; however, the few that remain are merely a tool to push the emotions up to another level.

Some may not like my Saradoc, but if you like Grey Wonderer’s storyline (The Road Less Traveled), then you shouldn’t mind this one as the characterizations are only in reverse. Initially, I was only venting, but then decided my twist on things would be my little ‘thumbprint’, if you will. The descriptions of ‘my’ characters below do not apply only to this story.

My characterization of Pippin is that he’s very sweet and very intelligent--I believe he had to be more the latter in order to be included in a circle of friends much older than he was. His quick wit and humor grew by leaps and bounds by the time he was eight--as you will see, and that can easily get a child into mischief and trouble! Pippin loves attention and embellishes his stories whenever he has a captive audience.

Merry is a very cheery, loveable and social hobbit. He’s not big on attention, but loves parties and being with his friends. He loves, and is extremely close to his young cousin, who in turn adores Merry. Pippin and Merry are more than cousins (as Pearl Took has written--great story!) and are as close as any two ‘brothers’ could be. As Merry is sixteen and Pippin eight, I wrote this story with the beginnings of ‘best friendship’ in this story. Merry loves his uncle Paladin, and over the years became a part of the Took household in Whitwell. I won’t say any more as it will then give away the story.

Paladin Took is quite the congenial hobbit. His heart belongs to his family and the Shire. He is a simple farmer, but never intellectually. Children--especially his own--are a delight to him. He took his nephew, Merry, into his heart and home through visits when he learned of his troubles at home. Without realizing it, Merry took root in his heart--never to completely let go. Paladin may complain about it, but, for lack of a more Shire-like phrase, he gets a kick out of it when Pippin, Merry, and even his youngest daughter (to some degree) band together for an afternoon of fun...better known as mischief.

Frodo doesn't have a huge part in the story, but as I don't write his character often enough, I hope I portray him well enough for his 'fans'.

Rated PG for a bit of language and other angsty things...I hope you enjoy the story.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List