Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Growing Pains  by Meldewen Ilce

11 May 1380 S.R.
Baggins Residence

The Baggins household was up early the next morning to finish last minute preparations for Bilbo's arrival, which wasn't expected to just before dinnertime. After breakfast, Drogo left to go help in the fields while Frodo helped his mother finish cleaning the set of rooms that were next door to their smial. These rooms had been especially reserved for Bilbo whenever he might visit Brandy Hall Primula and Frodo had just stopped for second breakfast when they heard a familiar voice coming from just outside the door of their home.

"Hello? Drogo? Primula? Are you home?"

Before Primula can get up Frodo had flown from the table to the door, and had opened it. "Uncle Bilbo!" he exclaimed, as he hurried into the open arms of the older hobbit. After hugging Frodo, Bilbo reached out to hug the astonished Primula.

"How are you, Primula?" Bilbo asked.

"I'm well, uncle," Primula answered getting over her shock. "Uncle, we weren't expecting you until around dinner time! Please come in and have second breakfast with us."

"Yes, thank you, dear Primula, I am famished," Bilbo said following her and Frodo back inside. As Primula began to make a plate of food, Bilbo continued to relay the reason for his early arrival. "And I would have arrived around dinnertime had I left Bag End at first light this morning. However, I left there around midnight last night as I couldn't resist travelling during the night with the beautiful starlight sky," Bilbo replied.

"Uncle!" Primula said, "You traveled at night?"

Bilbo nodded. "Yes, I did, my dear. And what may I ask is wrong with that? I often go walking at night to stargaze."

"But aren't there dangerous animals roaming about the Shire at night, uncle?" Frodo piped in between his bites of biscuits and bacon.

"Frodo, don't talk with your mouth full!" Primula said.

Frodo swallowed his food. "Sorry, Mamma."

Accepting his plate from Primula, Bilbo looked at his young 'nephew'. "No, my boy, there are not any dangerous animals roaming about the Shire. That's only a story the so-called respectful, but snobbish hobbits made up to keep folks inside at night when they should be out and about enjoying the handiwork of Elbereth."

"Uncle!" Primula said in surprise. "It is not a story that was made up to keep people inside at night. The world can be very dangerous, especially at night when all the dark, evil creatures roam from the Black Land."

Bilbo sighed. "You're right, Primula my dear. I just hate it when people allow their fear of the night to rule their lives and keep them from enjoying the beautiful world that Eru has given us all."

Several moments of silence followed as the three of them finished second breakfast. Afterwards, Primula insisted that Bilbo rest until it was time for Elevensies when she'd send Frodo to get his father. After seeing to Bilbo's comfort, who had settled down near the hearth with the latest Elven book he was working on translating, Bilbo bided them farewell until it was time for Elevensies.

He hadn't meant to nod off to sleep but the next thing Bilbo knew, he was awakened by a young one's voice asking a question.

"Who's EL-BEAR-ETH?" Frodo's voice asked.

Bilbo's eyes snapped open and for a moment he had forgotten where he was. The book he had been reading was laid face down open on his chest and one of his arms hang limply along his side. Sitting up he closed the book and laid it on the nearby table, looking at Frodo as a yawn slipped out.

"When did you sneak in, Frodo?" Bilbo asked.

"A few minutes ago - Mamma let me go after I finished helping her."

"She sent you to catch an old hobbit taking an unexpected nap, ehh?"

"Uh, no, uncle. Actually she told me not to wake you if you were asleep," Frodo replied. "I'm sorry that I did."

"That's all right, Frodo, I really wasn't sleeping but dozing!" Bilbo said. "Now, what was it you asked me just now? I didn't quite hear your question."

"I asked you who EL-BEAR-ETH is."

Bilbo smiled. "I think you mean Elbereth, my lad."

"Oh."

"Elbereth is the name given to Varda, the Queen of Arda or Middle-Earth, by the Elves. Elbereth means 'Star-Lady' in their language, she is one of the Valar," Bilbo answered.

"The Valar?"

The door opened again and in walked Primula. "Frodo, I thought I told you to run and get your father."

"You did, Mamma. I had to ask Uncle Bilbo something."

"Have you asked him whatever it is you wanted to ask him?"

"Yes, Mama."

"Then be off now and get your father. We'll be sitting down to have Elevensies and I don't think he'd want to miss another minute with your Uncle Bilbo," Primula said as she began to prepare the next meal of the day.

Bilbo patted Frodo on the shoulder. "Go on and do as your Mother says. We'll talk more later and I promise to tell you all about Elbereth and the Valar. Now off with you."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List