Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Riches to Rags  by PIppinfan1988

A/N: I guess in order to have an epilogue, one must first have a prologue...so now I have an epilogue 2...at least that's how I think it works...?

PLEASE READ

I don’t know how to say this, but as I was doing a bit of research for this story, I stumbled upon a website that has touched my heart forever. It was there that I read first-hand stories from men and women/boys and girls who actually worked in 18th century factories--the ones who endured hardships and physical abuses in pursuit of a penny. When Paladin was sitting before Tad’s grave and weeping for him, that was actually me, weeping for them--mourning for children that lived long ago, and no one acknowledging them.

I won’t go into the grisly details, but to be quartered meant that a quarter of their hourly wage was deducted from their pay if they were late, or if they were caught talking to the other children. Overlookers were the immediate supervisors of the workers, and meted out harsh punishments for such behavior as well. Watches and time-pieces were forbidden for obvious reasons.

If anything comes out of this story, I hope that these children (fictitious, though they may be, but based on real-life experiences) touched your heart as they have mine. :





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List