Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Woman of Secret Shadow  by Jen Littlebottom

Disclaimer: Thuringwethil and all other places, people, and things mentioned within are the inventions of J.R.R. Tolkien and the property of his estate and I lay no claim to them.

From Tol-in-Gaurhoth she flew, wings spread wide and before the shadow of her passing the living cowered and the dead slept uneasy.  Gorthaur would call her back soon, would want to know the results of her patrol.  Pointless, she thought.  Nothing lived here but his filth, his orcs and his wolves, breeding like rats in their holes and turning on each other when they had nothing else to do.

Besides, Thuringwethil’s loyalty did not lie first with any mere Maiar, equal and not above her no matter how much more (ill-begotten) power he wielded.  But he commanded her, for now, and it had been a long while since she’d had cause – or excuse – to take this shape of hers further abroad.  Beyond the boundaries of Gorthaur’s playground, to Angband itself.  To Him.

Perhaps he had guessed that she took two messages with her for every one he sent – the one he gave her, and the one her Lord demanded of her.  For he did not trust Gorthaur, not entirely, and with good reason.  He was of the sort who might be tempted, might seek his own gain at the expense of He Who Arises.

There was no such doubt in His mind of Thuringwethil’s loyalty.  How could there be? He had crept into ever corner of her mind, knew her more intimately than any other could.  And when she had succumbed to His temptations, when she had bowed to him, and turned away from Vairë her former mistress, He must have known that he had not needed to give her anything else.  But He took her, and taught her, and gave her a gift she would never be able to repay.  He gave her the gift of flight.

So now, as Gorthaur touched her mind, calling her back, she smirked a little, and took her time, riding the currents of the air and swooping low over the patrols to see the wretched Orcs cringe in her presence.  Let him stew.  Soon Melkor would tire of his games, his feigned obedience, and cast Gorthaur out, and who then would be worthy enough to take his place?  Who had shown her strength and loyalty time and time again? Who would he bestow his favour upon?

None other than Thuringwethil, and it would be soon.  Very soon.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List