Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections of the Past  by shirebound

You folks are so encouraging!  I don’t plan “Reflections” to be long or complex, but rather, short, sweet, and gentle -- and containing what I hope is an interesting surprise.

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

 

REFLECTIONS OF THE PAST

Notes for Chapter 2:  This chapter references “Quarantined” chapters 2, 7, and 15.  Although hobbits would most likely have used the formal months in their documents (e.g., “Afterlithe” instead of “July”), this is a simple story, so I’m sticking to simple names.  And many thanks to my wonderful LiveJournal friends, who assured me that nothing was truly safe from a determined set of puppy teeth.

 

It was… very clear and correct (according to the legal customs of hobbits, which demand among other things seven signatures of witnesses in red ink).  The Fellowship of the Ring

Chapter 2 --- Mischief and Merriment

 

“Mr. Frodo,” Sam ventured, “we’ve just got to think of something.”

“I know.  Scamp doesn’t seem to be after the vegetables, though -- she just. . . digs.”  Frodo sighed.  “I’m sorry, Sam.”

Sam surveyed the damage to the vegetable garden.  “I think we’ll have to put up a bit of a fence,” he said finally.  “If the poles are set down deep enough, they just might keep her out, the little scoundrel.”  He knelt to look closer at one of the many holes, but ended up patting and talking to Scamp, who was snuffling happily in the fresh, cool dirt she had dug up.

Frodo grinned, knowing that Sam couldn’t even pretend to stay cross with Scamp for more than a moment.  The unabashed delight with which the pup greeted the Gaffer and Sam every morning had taken everyone by surprise, and the two gardeners -- master and apprentice -- had found themselves unable to resist such determined friendliness.

Bilbo suspected that Scamp sensed how others felt about (and treated) Frodo, and reacted to them accordingly -- but Frodo simply thought that the pup was a good judge of character.

“It’s only been a week,” Frodo said, wiping a sleeve over his wet forehead.  “Maybe when this heat wave breaks, she won’t need to dig down where it’s cooler.”

“A week, eh?” Sam looked up.  “Time to send her back?”

Frodo grinned.  “What do you think?”

Sam smiled knowingly.  After the initial shock of being introduced to Bag End’s newest resident, and seeing how Mr. Frodo treated her like a member of the family, Sam had just known that all talk of keeping the pup “temporarily” had been nonsense.

“Is the paper all written up, then?”

Frodo nodded.  “Bilbo gave me some parchment to use, and he drew a fancy border around it.”

“Where will you get seven witnesses?” Sam asked.  “My sisters can’t even sign their own names.”

“I know,” Frodo sighed, “but since it’s adoption papers for a dog, and not a person, I don’t suppose things have to be that formal.  Maybe just Bilbo, you, and I can sign it.”

“I’d be purely honored, Mr. Frodo,” Sam said.  “But in the meantime. . .”  He picked up a small spade.

“No, you don’t.”  Frodo took the spade from the child’s hands.  “You shouldn’t have to fill in all the holes this rascal’s made.”  He looked around and shook his head.  “There must be dozens of them.”

“That’s not right, Mr. Frodo,” Sam frowned.  “It’s not your place to be workin’ out here this afternoon.  Or any afternoon.”

“Maybe just today,” Frodo laughed, lifting a shovelful of dirt.  “If only we could teach Scamp how to fill in holes, as well as dig them.  But at least she’s not digging up your gardens,” he observed, “nor anyone else’s.”

“That’s because she won’t leave your side!” Sam smiled.  “She doesn’t look so fierce, but that’s a loyal one you got there.”

“But she does leave my side, Sam,” Frodo replied.  “Each evening, or sometimes in the middle of the night, she disappears somewhere in Bag End and reappears later, paws all covered with fresh dirt.  Bilbo and I can’t figure out where she goes.”

“That is odd,” Sam agreed, “Bag End bein’ all lined with that nice brick and wood everywhere.”

Frodo worked diligently filling in the holes Scamp had dug in the vegetable garden, and then discovered that the pup hadn’t slighted the flower or herb gardens either.  It was early evening before he finished, insisting that Sam not lift a finger to help.  Finally Sam had to go home to supper, and Frodo dropped the spade wearily.

“Come here, you crazy pup,” Frodo said, crooking a finger to where Scamp was sniffing her way around the various herbs.  The dog bounded over and leaped into the boy’s arms.

“I really need to train you not to do this again,” Frodo addressed Scamp seriously, carrying the pup through the front door.

Bilbo was out visiting and wouldn’t be back until later, so Frodo made himself some supper, fed Scamp, and planned a nice, long soak in a tub to cool off and wash away the soil smeared all over his arms, hands, and face.

“I’ll just lie down for a few minutes,” he murmured to himself, and lay down on his bed fully clothed, still smudged and dirty.  He was so exhausted that he fell asleep almost instantly.  He never heard Bilbo return, and didn’t feel the light blanket cover him -- and he heard none of the commotion at the front door hours later, nor the soft voices near him.

“What have you done to him, Bilbo?  Are you working Frodo into such a state every night?”

“I am blameless,” Bilbo chuckled quietly.  “Here is the real culprit.”  He peeled back a corner of the blanket to reveal a tiny dog, wide awake and suspicious of this stranger.

“Ah.”  A finger was held out for the dog’s inspection.  Scamp sniffed it thoroughly, then relaxed and thumped her tail happily as she was stroked gently behind her ears.

“Come,” Bilbo said, “I’ll make you some tea, and we can talk for a bit.”

“Thank you, my friend.  Here, let me leave this for Frodo to see in the morning.”  Something was draped over the chair next to Frodo’s bed, and a hand touched the dark curls for a moment.

“I’ll see you in the morning, little one,” a soft voice whispered into a small, pointed ear.

*~*~*~*~*

Frodo slept soundly all night, and awoke to the now-familiar sound of the tiny yips and growls that signalled that Scamp had discovered something new to play with.  To chew on.  To shred into unrecognizable… Frodo sighed and opened his eyes; sure enough, the pup was pulling a large piece of cloth around on the floor, shaking and biting at it.

“Scamp,” Frodo said to the pup, “if that’s one of Bilbo’s cloaks, you’re going to have to answer to him.  This is not the best way to start your Adoption Day, you know.”  He started to rise, but fell back with a groan.  His arms and shoulders ached from the previous day’s exertions in the garden.  However did Sam do that every day?  He sat up slowly, suddenly realizing that he was still fully clothed and stiff with dirt.

“All right,” Frodo sighed, “let’s see what you’ve got there.”  He lowered himself to the floor, then took up a bit of the cloth and pulled it towards him.  Scamp, her teeth clamped shut on a corner of the fabric, was pulled across the floor and into his arms.

“You have your own toys to chew on,” Frodo reminded the dog, waving a finger in the pup’s unrepentent face.  “And besides, where did you find this?”  He inspected the vaguely familiar cloth, unsurprised to find tiny holes newly-bitten through the thick fabric.  “Bilbo doesn’t. . . this is too big for. . .”

“Oh!”  Frodo gasped.  He put Scamp down, dropped the cloak, and ran from the room.  Scamp nosed the large silver star pinned to the fabric for just a moment before bounding after him.

*~*~*~*~*

“Sam, wake up!”

“Go away, Mari.”

“But the horse is back!”

Sam sighed and opened his eyes to Marigold’s smiling face.  “Are you sleepwalkin’, sis?”

“No, silly.”  Marigold tugged at Sam’s blankets.  “The horse you like is back!  Daisy saw ’im out in the field when she was out with the chickens this mornin’.”

“He’s back?”  Sam leaped out of bed.  “Ollie?”

*~*~*~*~*

“Estel!”  Frodo ran straight out the front door of Bag End, closely followed by Scamp, and leaped into Aragorn’s arms.  “Why do you always arrive when I’m asleep?”

“Why are you always asleep when I arrive?”  The Ranger laughed and hugged the boy, then set him down.  Bilbo, standing nearby, smiled at the joy on Frodo’s face.

“Can you stay for awhile?” Frodo asked anxiously.

“For a few days,” Aragorn assured him.  “That is, if it’s all right with the entire Baggins household.”

“Three of us have to agree now,” Frodo replied, pointing to where the pup was inspecting the Ranger’s boots.  “This is Scamp.”

“Scamp, eh?”  Aragorn grinned.  He bent down to pick up the pup, who fit easily into his large hands, and looked at her closely.  “Frodo,” he said finally, “this is the smallest dog I’ve ever seen.  At least there’s no danger of her eating you and Bilbo out of house and home.”

“Hah!” Bilbo snorted.  “This beast eats as much as Frodo, and then some.”

“That hardly seems---”

“Mr. Estel!”

Frodo, Bilbo, and Aragorn turned to see Sam running full-speed up Hill Lane.  Aragorn put Scamp down and smiled fondly at the boy.  Even in Rivendell, he didn’t receive a welcome such as this.

“Sam,” the Ranger said as the boy skidded to a halt in front of him, “I just know you greeted Arthad before coming to see me.”

“Maybe just for a minute,” Sam grinned.

“Sam, it’s too hot to be running like that,” Frodo said, concerned.  “Come in and have breakfast, and we’ll hear what this vagabond has been up to.”  Frodo looked down suddenly and groaned.  “Scamp, leave that alone.”  He pulled the pup away from Aragorn’s boots in time to save one of the laces from being untied.  “You chew on everything that isn’t nailed down, and---”  He paled suddenly, remembering the teeth marks in Aragorn’s cloak, still on the floor of his room.

“I’ll put everything out of her reach,” Aragorn assured him.

“Don’t forget to put your weapons out of reach, as well,” Bilbo reminded him, smiling at Frodo.

“Bilbo,” Frodo sighed, “you know I would never deliberately touch those dreadful things.  I don’t even remember doing it, last time.”  He took the Ranger’s hand.  “Come on, we have a lot to catch up on.”

“Now don’t get the idea that I came to see you, Frodo Baggins.  I merely stopped by to acquire more of that excellent pipeweed from Bilbo.”

“Hmmph,” Frodo sniffed, “I should have known.  Make him work for it, Bilbo.”

“It looks as if you’re the one doing the work.”  Aragorn looked the boy up and down.  “Have you bathed since I last saw you, Frodo?”

“You’d be dirty too, if you’d been repairing all the damage done by this vicious beast,” Frodo grinned.  “And speaking of needing baths, Estel. . .”

“Perhaps you should be nicer to him, Frodo lad,” Bilbo suggested.  “You wanted a fourth witness, and here he is.”

“Witness?” Aragorn asked warily.

 

We, the signatories of this document, do hereby attest that Bag End, a respected dwelling in Hobbiton, the Shire, is a proper and fitting home for its new resident, a dog of uncertain (but acceptable) breeding hereafter known as ‘Scamp’; and that Frodo Baggins, a minor under the guardianship of one Bilbo Baggins, is a proper and fitting owner for the aforementioned ‘Scamp’; and that the aforementioned Bilbo Baggins, respected gentlehobbit of some renown and legal guardian of the aforementioned Frodo Baggins, agrees to provide a safe, loving, and nurturing environment for ‘Scamp’.

We do also attest to the fact that we affix our signatures to this document of our own free will, under no duress and without coersion.

8 July, 1392

 

The three hobbits sat grouped around Aragorn at the dining room table, examining the document Frodo had proudly displayed.  Breakfast had been long, plentiful, and full of talk and laughter, and now Scamp was thoroughly licking clean a nearly empty pie pan that Frodo had set down for her as a special “adoption day” present.

“I’ve never read any. . . thing. . . quite like this,” Aragorn said at last, trying not to laugh.

“Frodo wrote it himself,” Bilbo informed him.  He winked at the Ranger as he wrote his name in red ink beneath the date -- then Frodo signed his name under Bilbo’s.

“Sign,” Frodo demanded, putting the quill into the Ranger’s hand.

“What happened to ‘under no duress’?”

“Please?”

“That’s better.”  Aragorn held the quill above the parchment, but hesitated.

Frodo noticed the Ranger’s dilemma.  “You don’t know which of your names to use, do you?” he asked perceptively.

“Well, no,” Aragorn admitted with a smile.  “I can’t remember ever being asked to ‘affix my signature’ to an official document before.”

“That’s all right, Mr. Estel,” Sam said reassuringly.  “This is my first time, too.”

“I know you have a lot of names, but Scamp knows you as ‘Estel’,” Frodo said firmly.  “Use that one.”

“Well, if that’s what Scamp wants…”

“And sign it in Elvish,” Sam added, then scooted closer to get a better look.

“Very well,” the Ranger agreed.  To Sam’s delight, he signed ‘Estel’ in beautiful Elven script, and then handed the quill to the boy.

“What exactly does all this writin’ say again, Mr. Bilbo?” Sam asked.

“It says that we’re adopting Scamp, and that we’ll take good care of her,” Bilbo replied.

“It takes all this just to say that?”

“It also says that no one’s forcing you to sign your name,” Frodo added.

“No one’s ever asked me to sign my name,” Sam said in awe.  He took a deep breath and dipped the pen in the inkwell, then very carefully (and proudly) signed Samwise Gamgee.

Once the ink had dried on the parchment, Frodo rolled it up, tied it with a bit of ribbon, and added the scroll to a pile of Bilbo’s documents on a shelf.  (A high shelf, since Scamp had quickly shown that the only regard she showed any paper she found within reach, whether book, document, or map, was whether or not she was in the mood to chew on it.)

“And now, Frodo lad,” Bilbo said firmly, “about that bath…”

** TBC **

*~*~*~*~*~*

Aiko-chan:  I don’t even pretend that this isn’t fluff!  It’s fluff, and proud of it!  But anything that makes you feel “overjoyously delightful” has got to be a good thing.

Ailsa Joy:  Thanks, Ailsa.  Yes, I think Frodo deserves a puppy to cuddle with all the angst flying around!

Ainu Laire:  Wow, thanks! (And I’m glad to have given you so much New Year’s fic reading!)

Angel Baby:  It’s wonderful to hear from you.  Please don’t fret -- no puppies were harmed in the writing of this story.

angelsflame265:  Thank you for the encouragement!

Anita H:  Thanks, Anita!  I’m so glad you’re enjoying the stories.

annab1989:  Yes, anna means “gift” in Quenya.  Lucky you!

AntipodeanOpaleye:  Your review left me nearly weeping with joy and gratitude.  I can’t thank you enough for such lovely words.  If there was ever an encouragement to continue writing, this is it.  You were worried that I might have been bored by your review?  I might frame it -- and read it on those days when my self-confidence is less than it should be.

aprilkat:  I enjoy writing Bilbo as a wise guardian -- I can’t imagine that he would have been permitted to adopt Frodo, had he not shown his love and good instincts for the lad over the years.

Aratlithiel1:  I hope this won’t be too disappointing, but… this story won’t have angst-a-plenty!  (Now my next one… you betcha.  But not this one.)  Sorry!

Ariel3:  I love picturing Frodo with a dog.  After all, after Bilbo left, Frodo lived alone for 17 years.  He definitely could have used “…something aristocratic and gentrified that would enjoy long walks and long evenings by the fireside…”  (Now there’s a fic that needs to be written.)  I’m afraid this pup isn’t all that aristocratic… but she sure is cute.

AshNight2:  Congrats on your new family member!  I nearly did name the pup ‘Merry’, but didn’t think the real Merry would appreciate having a female dog named after him.

Baylor:  Sweet, sticky, fluffy, oozy, cuddly puppiness… hide, Baylor!

Bookworm2000:  Farmer Maggot not only dragged young Frodo in front of his three guard dogs, but he beat the poor lad.  That would traumatize anyone.

Budgielover:  Oh Budgie, thank you for saying that this story is ‘soft, warm, and calm’.  That was exactly my intention.

ClaudiaofBree:  Keep that toothbrush handy, Claudia, you’re going to need it.

Elbereth:  I wouldn’t mind having a puppy, either!  Or a Frodo…

Erisinia Gazelle:  Your review made me squeal!  *glomps you back!*  (I assume that ‘glomp’ is a good thing?)

Firnsarnien:  I plan this story to be heart-warming, but not sad.  Hope it works!

Gentle Hobbit:  You’re melting!  My work here is done…  And I agree -- Bilbo is a wonderful and perceptive guardian for Frodo.

girlofring:  Thank you!

Giu:  Thank you, Giu.  I’m “writing more” every chance I get.

Hai:  I did almost name the Pup ‘Merry’!  It was fun thinking about possible names.

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  It’s so heartbreaking to hear a tiny pet whimpering… I didn’t think Frodo would hold out for long.

hobbitfeet13:  Ah, what has the puppy to do with the story?  Everything.  (And I like Faramir, too!  He’s my favorite character after Frodo, Aragorn, Sam, and Pippin.  I may write more about Faramir-and-the-hobbits sometime -- how wonderful that we all have years and years of reading and writing ahead of us.)

Hope*Springs*Eternal:  I’m glad you approve of the name “Scamp”, Anna!  I went through a lot of names before I settled on that one.

horseblaze:  “Warm and snuggly” -- just what I was trying to write!

Ivy:  I’m so glad you like ‘my’ Frodo.  He certainly deserves a loving little pup of his very own.

Jaimi:  “Big Ranger, Little Puppy” -- maybe I should have named the story that!

jodancingtree:  Warm fuzzies!  I’m so glad!

Jules6:  Thanks, Jules.  I do have such a weakness for “heart-warming”.

Kemenran:  Hope you enjoy “what happens next”!  I write as fast as my limited free time allows.

Lady of Ithilien:  If any story is going to make you “pass out from fluff overload”, I suspect this one may be near the top of the list.  And I give Bilbo all the credit for bringing a puppy into Frodo’s life.

Leah Beth:  I agree, Frodo really needs a puppy right now -- and maybe we do, too!  A bit of a soothing story amidst the ROTK angst.

Leigh S. Durron:  Thanks, Leigh!  The name is ‘Scamp’, and it’s well deserved.

Lhachel:  I love your enthusiasm.  I had no idea this little story would make so many folks bounce around so happily (I think puppies tend to do that for us)!

liptonrm:  My dog slept on my bed for most of her life (or, to be more accurate, she graciously permitted me to sleep in her bed).

Little Mouse:  Scamp did pick Frodo, didn’t she?  What a clever pup.

M14Mouse:  Thank you so much!

Megz23:  Happy New Year to you!  I’m so glad you like ‘my’ hobbits.  I do love our hobbitses so very much.

Meldewen Ilce:  I’ll certainly try not to disappoint.  (And Bilbo is wonderfully clever -- somehow Gandalf sensed that rather early, didn’t he?)

Melylott S. Banks:  Frodo needs all the hugs we can give him, Mely.  Omigosh, “shirefluff”!  Hee hee.

Midgette:  You sweetie!  Thank you.

Mish:  Thanks, Mish!

Mysterious Jedi:  Glad you like it!

Nilmandra:  You sleep with one dog and three cats??  Wow, I should have given Frodo more of a challenge.

Nobody:  And Happy New Year to you!  I’m deliberately not describing Scamp in too much detail, so folks can imagine her as they choose to.

Obelia medusa:  I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been ill -- I’m glad the “the lighter side” of hobbit life helped to cheer you up a little.

Pearl Took:  I’m glad this isn’t too sweet to even read, Pearl!  I had my doubts…

phoenixqueen:  Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to have only limited time to accomplish everything we need to.  It’s wonderful to hear from you, anytime you can stop by.

QTPie-2488:  I love how you phrase that -- “sweet hobbit happiness”… sigh.

San Antonio Rose:  Awww… “helping heal a hurting heart.”  Love that!  I’m deliberately not describing Scamp in too much detail, so folks can imagine her as they choose to.

Sandy K:  I thought I was finished with the “Quarantined” universe, but that puppy started whimpering, and, well… what could I do?

Scottish Hobbit:  Oh my, thank you so much.  “Quarantined” evolved far beyond my original concept for it, as did “By Chance or Purpose”.  There’s a line in both stories that explains, I think, how we get brave enough to tackle complex tales: “Love gives us strength and courage when we need it most.”  My love for these characters inspires me to accomplish things I never dreamed I could.

Shadow Holds Sway:  I appreciate your words.  Although I can’t predict where my muse will take me in the future, I will always try to accurately label each story as to violent content, etc.

shireling:  I just knew that if anything could melt Frodo’s heart, it would be a fellow orphan.

Singing Wolf:  Aren’t you the psychic one!  I’m thrilled that I was able to post this new story just in time, and that it makes you so happy.

Tathar:  Hope your birthday was a joyous one, dear Tathar.  I had a wonderful dog for 16 years, and still miss her, so I couldn’t wait for Frodo to get one.

Tigerlily Sackville-Baggins:  I appreciate the fact that you like ‘my’ Frodo -- within the context of this particular “universe”, I try to be consistent with his personality and character.

Trishette:  Farmer Maggot really did traumatize the poor boy, didn’t he?  Hmmph.

wanequelle:  I’m flashing back to my first (and only) puppy, as well.  I’d love to have another one someday.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List