Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

11. Friend or Foe?

"One would think you had never seen tea being served before, Thranduil," scoffed Galadriel as she elegantly poured the tea and then handed him the first cup. There was a softness in her eyes that spoke of amusement at the stunned look on the once King of Eryn Lasgalen's face. Elisiel's gentle nudge in his ribs broke the enchantment of the moment and his focus returned.

"I admit this is a task I never imagined you performing, especially for me," he said, nodding his thanks as he accepted the steaming drink. Galadriel's silvery laugh filled the room.

"We have only been in each other's company but a few times, and all of those have been rather more formal, and definitely less friendly occasions. This is my home, you are my guest as well as distant kin of my husband, and it pleases me to treat you as such," she said, taking a graceful sip of her tea.

"Thank you, Galadriel," replied Thranduil, laughing inwardly at how difficult an elf of his years and station found it to simply say her name. In his mind to do so indicated his acceptance of her implied offer of friendship, and a cease of previous animosity between them. Galadriel smiled at him and as their eyes met he realised not only that she understood, but that it was the outcome she desired as well.

"I also wish to add my apologies for the injury you suffered. Aradir is very young, and possibly over indulged at times. In this instance he was also disobedient for he knew full well he was forbidden to handle any of Celeborn's bows. He displayed extremely poor judgement, but if it is any consolation, I believe he has learned his lesson," she said with just a slight hint of uncertainty that both Thranduil and Elisiel caught.

"For the moment he certainly has, but if he is anything like his Adar and his uncle were at his age, I would advise caution," commented Elisiel, who knew Elladan and Elrohir well as elflings.

"Yes, despite incurring Elrond's wrath on numerous occasions, and many promises to behave, they always seemed to be able to make more mischief. Usually with Legolas' help, I might add," said Thranduil, also remembering many exasperating years dealing with the three who were constantly up to no good. Galadriel laughed again.

"I have heard many tales of those three from Glorfindel, and I think that for that reason alone choosing Legolas as his archery master was an inspired idea. Not only does he have the skill, but he knows from experience the kind of mischief Aradir might be tempted to make!" she exclaimed.

"Precisely," agreed Thranduil suddenly unable to stifle a yawn. He looked accusingly at Galadriel as he felt himself drifting into the waking dream that elves called sleep.

"It is but a mild sleeping potion Elrond prescribed," she said to Elisiel as she helped her settle the now sleeping Thranduil more comfortably.

"And administered in such a way that he could not refuse, as he most assuredly would have otherwise," said Elisiel, smiling to indicate her approval. "It seems Elrond is as mischievous as his sons."

"It is certainly a family trait," agreed Galadriel, as she brushed a stray lock of hair from Thranduil's face in a rather motherly gesture. "Just as fair features are to be found in Oropher's House. He is so like his Adar in many respects," she added, recalling the one who now resided on the Halls of Mandos.

"Did you know King Oropher well?" asked Elisiel who had only met Thranduil after he returned from war as the newly crowned king.

"As well as he allowed anyone other than his wife to know him. Our meetings were generally filled with angry words and ill feelings, but even as enemies there was a measure of respect between us, for neither of us would allow ourselves to be intimidated," she answered honestly.

"My beloved Thranduil is certainly like his Adar in that respect," said Elisiel.

"That is why Elrond has asked that YOU keep Thranduil in bed until he inspects the wound in the morning," she said to Elisiel as she collected the cups and placed them on the tray. "I must go now and help ensure that Celeborn's good humour returns. He was quite understandably angry since the bow Aradir took was the one I that I had given to him as a betrothal gift. Fortunately for the young one, no damage was done to the weapon, only to his good grace with his greatgrandadar."

"Then I suggest we might both need to ask Elrond for a potion that soothes anger. I will do as he bids, but I cannot guarantee Thranduil will be in a good humour about it," laughed Elisiel as she opened the door for Galadriel.

"Ai, but we both know other ways to calm our husbands, do we not?" she asked, exchanging a knowing look with Elisiel, who merely nodded and smiled.

Elisiel knew her husband well, and the next morning Thranduil awoke angry with Galadriel for her part in what he deemed to be a conspiracy with Elrond.

"What possible reason, other than to aid your recovery, would either of them have for giving you the sleeping potion?" asked Elisiel calmly when Thranduil had finally quieted. "Is not your wound healed?" Thranduil flexed his shoulders and felt no twinge of pain.

"It appears so, but that does not excuse. " His next words were muffled as Elisiel kissed him soundly. "You are much more pleasant company when you are in a good mood, my love," she whispered into his ear when she finally released his lips.

"I admit I feel well rested," he answered drawing her into an embrace. "Just how did you intend to keep me in bed until Elrond arrives?" he asked, the intimate tone in his voice sending a shiver of pleasure down her spine. Elisiel did not have time to reply before there was a loud knock on the door.

"I am afraid you will never know," she answered lightly as she rose and quickly donned a bed robe before inviting Elrond to enter. He ignored the rather sour look on Thranduil's face as he quickly examined the injury.

"There is but a small scar which will be gone by tomorrow," he informed Thranduil. "Are you in any pain?"

"No, and neither do I require any more of your potions," he answered testily. Elrond shook his head slightly.

"Then keep out of the path of stray arrows," he replied. The words were a little harsh to Elisiel's ears, but Thranduil laughed out loud, highly amused by an apparently private joke between the two.

"At least this one did not carry a poisoned tip like the last one you removed from me," said Thranduil his eyes still alight with merriment.

"A fact for which I thank the Valar. You are a very difficult patient, my friend, and I am pleased to be able to release you from my care so quickly," Elrond said as he headed for the doorway only to find Elisiel blocking his path.

"I would hear more of this poisoned arrow," she demanded. "Thranduil has not yet found the time to mention this incident," she added glaring accusingly at her husband. Elrond also looked back at Thranduil who indicated it was his tale to tell, so he took a seat by the bed and told Elisiel of the time Thranduil had been brought to Imladris with a wound caused by a poisoned orc arrow. It had taken several weeks for him to recover, such was the evil nature of the poison and, with help from Glorfindel, he was a less than co-operative patient for most of that time."

"Then I thank you for your perseverance in aiding his recovery," she said, kissing Elrond lightly on the cheek.

"He is fully recovered, then and now," said Elrond gently as he saw that the brightness in her eyes was the result of unshed tears for her husband's injury. "I hope you two will join my family for breakfast, my sons have decided to return home and their recalcitrant offspring wish to see you in good health before they depart," he said to Thranduil.

"We will be there as soon as we are dressed," he answered for them both. Elrond inclined his head and left them alone. Elisiel ran to Thranduil's arms and held him close.

"I am so glad you are here where it is safe, I did not realise I came so close to losing you," she whispered through her tears.

"You can never lose me, my love," he whispered back as they stood there in the comfort of each other's arms, for what could have been but a moment or an age so lost were they in the rapture of the music of their hearts.

        *********

After breakfast there were many fond farewells to be made before Elladan and Elrohir and their families finally rode towards Alqualondë. Everyone was surprised at Thranduil when, to put the elflings' minds to rest, he had allowed them to inspect the barely visible scar on his back. The other adults overlooked the slightly indiscreet behaviour when they saw the relieved looks on the faces of the young ones, who both apologised again to their elder.

"I am fully recovered, but your punishment still stands," he said to Aradir who had followed his cousin's example and allowed Thranduil a brief hug.

"Will you be returning to see Legolas soon?" the child asked eager to begin his 'punishment'.

"In a few more days, perhaps. I will send word to you Adar as soon as the arrangements are made," he promised as he helped Aradir mount his horse. There were more words of farewell spoken, and kisses exchanged before the travellers finally passed through the gates and could no longer be seen the others who, except for Celeborn and Thranduil, turned to go back inside.

"It is well past time we discussed certain matters. Shall we take a walk in the gardens?" he asked Thranduil who nodded his agreement.

"Do not be concerned, my lady, the gardens are now quite safe, and I am quite harmless as well," Celeborn said dryly with a wink at Elisiel who had turned back when she heard his request. She smiled at his words, for the last time the two had had a private conversation it had become quite heated. She feared the same outcome, not yet knowing that they had begun to forge a new friendship at the end of the Ring War.

"I will see you when I return," Thranduil said, dismissing her fears with a quick kiss.

They walked in silence for a while and it was Thranduil who decided to speak first.

"Galadriel mentioned that I was injured with the bow she gave you as a betrothal gift. I assume from the way show spoke that you have a collection of such weaponry?" he asked.

"Yes, I collect both bows and knives. It may interest you to know that I have recently added a Mirkwood bow to my display. Legolas, who crafted the weapons, gave the bow and arrows to me. I will show them to you when we return to the house. Your son has many talents," he added genuinely impressed with the younger Elf's skill.

"Yes, making bows had always been one of his finer talents and I would appreciate seeing one of them amongst your collection," said Thranduil making a determined effort to be friendly and surprising himself by finding it was not all that difficult.

"You chose an apt punishment for young Aradir," commented Celeborn, continuing in the same amicable tone as Thranduil had used. "He aspires to be as good an archer as your son, and he is also quite fond of him."

"Then it is to be hoped that he learns his lesson. I am certain it will please Legolas to teach archery as a sport to be enjoyed, rather than a necessary means of defence. I would that I had not been forced to train my son to be a warrior," he admitted, voicing that which had always troubled him.

"I too am pleased that such is no longer necessary for neither Aradir, Estellan or any Elf here in Valinor," agreed Celeborn. They continued walking, silently reflecting on the subtle change that was occurring between them as they spoke. Neither were now rulers of a large realm; they were simply heads of their Houses, delighting in taking part in the upbringing of their families, in a far more peaceful world.

"You sound as if you are quite fond of my son and his family, do you see them often?" asked Thranduil.

"Not since Estellan was born, but before that, yes. Galadriel and I adore Neridwen, we have known her since she was born," Celeborn answered, indicating a stone bench beneath the shade of a large beech tree. By mutual agreement, they decided to sit as they continued their conversation.

"Legolas told me she was from Lothlórien, and that both her grandadars were killed at Dagorlad, but very little else," said Thranduil.

"And you wish to know more about the one who has captured your son's heart?" asked Celeborn. Thranduil nodded.

"And mine as well, I admit. Neridwen is as devoted to Legolas as he is to her. It breaks his heart to know that her past causes her great pain. If you can tell me more of her history, I may be able to help, or at least offer comfort if needed," he explained.

"There is no need to explain, I understand. Yes, Neridwen and her parents lived in Lothlórien. Her Adar was a wonderful healer and her Naneth an artist of renowned, and much sought after talent. Neridwen was the joy of their life, and when her Adar was granted permission to study with Elrond the three of them, as well as both her grandnanas, travelled to Imladris together because they could not bear to be separated. Unfortunately, on their return they were ambushed by orcs and all except the child were killed. It was an extremely sad time for the Golden Wood," remembered Celeborn, listening as if he could still hear the laments that were sung for weeks afterwards.

"How is it she survived the attack?" asked Thranduil, his heart breaking at the thought of how Neridwen must have suffered.

"The adults in the party managed to resist long enough to allow Neridwen to find a hiding place in the trees above. The child watched in horror as her loved ones were killed, and when she saw the light fade from her Adar's eyes, she screamed. The orcs heard her and were about to burn the tree down when the northern border patrol arrived. They quickly dispensed with the orcs, but could not coax the terrified child down. Haldir had to climb up to her and he eventually managed to win her trust. He carried her in his arms all the way back to Calas Galadhon The child would trust no other, not even Galadriel, so it was Haldir who convinced her to live with her Adar's friend and his family, and he who took her to Mithlond when Galadriel and the healers could no longer prevent Neridwen fading away with grief. They resumed their friendship when Haldir arrived in Valinor."

"I see," said Thranduil, wondering just how much of this story Legolas knew, and how he would react, given his apparent animosity towards Haldir. Elrond thought that some misunderstanding about Gimli was the cause, but perhaps there was something even more between the two. "Would this friendship have anything to do with a problem I perceive exists between Legolas and Haldir?" he asked.

"Ai, you have heard about the archery contests already!" Celeborn exclaimed.

"Yes, I take it the animosity between them is common knowledge, then?" asked Thranduil, beginning to feel more than a little concerned. This was a side of his son he had not seen before, a side that reminded him very much of himself.

"Yes, I would say that the rivalry between them is far more personal, but I am not prepared to speculate as to the real cause, only Legolas or Haldir can speak with any authority on that subject. I suggest you ask Legolas. Both Galadriel and I have asked Haldir to explain, but he refuses to answer, other than to say it is a private matter."

"As did Legolas," commented Thranduil. "Apparently neither of them wishes to seek advice on how to resolve their differences." Celeborn laughed heartily at that comment, causing Thranduil to scowl for a moment until he realised why.

"A great pair we are to talk about giving advice about resolving issues of personal rivalry," he said, joining in the laughter. "It took until the downfall of Dul Guldur before we were once again on more friendly terms, and we are kin!"

"Yes, our estrangement lasted far too long!" exclaimed Celeborn, clasping Thranduil's shoulder affectionately. "So, do you think we would damage our newly achieved rapport if we had a friendly wager on the outcome of the archery contest? Personal feelings aside, I much favour Haldir to defeat Legolas again. If you agree, we can discuss the terms of the wager over a glass of wine," suggested Celeborn.

"Then think carefully about what is you wish to lose when my son wins," warned a confident Thranduil as he accepted the offer and the challenge.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List