Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

***A/N: “Family” can be treated as a sequel to "Friend Or Foe", but it is not necessary to read it to follow this story. ***

 1. Thranduil Comes Home

A solitary figure stood on the top of the cliff, her silvery silhouette shining brightly against the backdrop of the star filled night sky. Far on the horizon Elisiel watched as the small speck that was an Elven ship gradually grew in size as it approached, its pure white sails billowing in the same sea breeze that gently ruffled her golden hair. Absently she brushed away the one silky strand that had somehow caught itself on the corner of her mouth, and as her finger traced her cheek, she felt a small shiver of anticipation and allowed herself to imagine it was his touch she felt. Soon it would be, sang her heart joyfully.

So lost in her reverie was she that when strong arms wrapped themselves affectionately around her waist, she started slightly before recognising the warm embrace of the one who had already come home.

"He will be here soon," said Legolas, smiling as she relaxed back into arms that not surprisingly reminded her of Thranduil with their strength and gentleness. Her son and his Adar were very much alike in many ways.

"I know," she whispered, not hiding the longing for her husband that was evident in her voice. She knew her son would understand how she felt, and he did. Legolas had finally discovered love, and the bliss that comes of a union with the one whose song is in complete harmony with his and whose very presence fills his heart and soul.

"Will you not change your mind and come to the pier with us?" he asked quietly. "It is you who Adar will wish to see most of all when he arrives."

"He has always been able to see me, for I have never left his dreams, or the place in his heart where I live. We were only separated by distance and time, neither of which are of much consequence to Elves, would you not agree?" she asked, turning to look at the face that reminded her so much of Thranduil when they had first met. "Besides, ever since you arrived, I have had a part of him to hold and cherish, just as you now have your son." Legolas smiled brilliantly with pride at the mention of his newborn babe, whom he was certain was the most beautiful elfling ever conceived.

"I cannot wait to see Adar's face when I introduce him to his grandson," he said with the typical enthusiasm of a new father.

"In your eagerness to do so, I trust you will not forget to introduce Neridwen to him as well, for without her there would be not be another heir to the House of Oropher," teased his mother lightly, knowing full well that the child had been conceived not to produce an heir, but to celebrate a love as strong as that which she and Thranduil shared.

"And I would be but a shadow of myself," whispered Legolas to himself, unable to imagine ever being able to bear the kind of separation from his beloved wife that his parents had endured.

"Speaking of my adorable grandson, where is he?" she asked.

"It seems that despite the auspicious occasion, Estellan decided that having his needs seen to were far more important. Neridwen will bring him to the pier once his hunger has been sated," explained Legolas with a shrug indicating he accepted the necessity of the situation.

"It is easy to see who is the master in your house," laughed Elisiel. "Look! The ship has almost arrived! You should hurry back, your Adar will be most disappointed if you, at least, are not there to meet him!"

"As you wish," said Legolas with a sigh of disappointment that his naneth had not changed her mind. He kissed her softly on the cheek before turning to walk back down the path that led to the harbour.

"Do not worry, he knows I am waiting for him up here," she called after him, sensing her son's distress and trying to reassure him all would be well.

"I hope so," he said, still not entirely convinced, but deciding that perhaps she knew best when it came to her husband.

Elisiel turned her gaze seaward once more and watched, as the ship grew larger the nearer it sailed to its destination. It was close enough now that she could see the passengers crowding forward, eager for their first glimpse of the shores of the Undying Lands and the beautiful Teleri harbour of Alqualonde. Her eyes quickly passed over them all as they eagerly sought those of her love.

Thranduil was standing somewhat apart from the others, his eyes fixed not on the harbour, but on the cliffs above where he knew she was waiting. He could see her with her hand raised above her head waving a greeting, and he could feel the joyful song her heart sang to him, his own returning it in kind. They stood there, he on the deck, she on the cliff above the shore, and simply drank in the sight of each other until he disappeared from sight as the ship sailed through the archway and into the harbour.

**********

Legolas was pleased to find Neridwen waiting for him with a contented Estellan cradled in her arms. He placed an arm around her shoulders and quickly stole a kiss before bestowing one on his son's forehead.

"I hope your Adar approves of me," she said anxiously as they watched the travellers disembark.

"Adar is not really an orc, despite what Gimli, may the Valar watch over him, might have told you. I am sure that he will find you as beautiful and charming as everyone knows you to be. I approve of you, and I love you, and that is all that matters," replied Legolas, smiling at the look of relief on her beautiful face. "Anyway, we are about to find out," he added, releasing her from his embrace as he walked quickly towards Thranduil.

"Adar! It is so good to see you, I have missed you so much!" he exclaimed his eyes bright with tears of joy as Thranduil gathered him into his strong arms.

"I have missed you as well, Legolas," he replied, kissing his son lightly on the cheeks before holding him at arm's length. "Is that the light of love I see in your eyes?"

"I have much to tell you, Adar, but first I should introduce you to my wife," said Legolas leading Thranduil over to where Neridwen was waiting. "Adar, this is my beloved Neridwen, and our son Estellan," he said. "Yes, for Estel," said Legolas answering the question that had not had time to pass his Adar's lips.

"I am sure he would be honoured," said Thranduil, saddened to see there was still much grief in his son, despite his newfound happiness. "No wonder you captured my son's heart, I can see your beauty lies not just in your face, but also in your heart. I am pleased to meet you, Neridwen," said Thranduil to his new daughter, displaying his not inconsiderable charm as he gently brushed her cheek with his lips.

"It is an honour to finally be able to meet you. Legolas speaks often and very highly of his Adar," she replied, easily seeing where Legolas had come by his handsome features and his gallantry.

"Your Adar as well, my dear, if it pleases you to address me so. Now, may I hold my grandson?" he asked.

"Of course, Adar," replied Neridwen as she carefully placed her son in Thranduil's arms, surprised at how readily the elfling accepted the stranger.

"This is the babe I dreamt of not long before I sailed here," he thought, unable to take his eyes from the child. "Welcome to the world, Estellan," he said softly, as he bent his head to kiss the babe's brow.

"Adar, I would be careful," said Legolas, intending to warn Thranduil of his grandson's fascination with long hair. He was not quite quick enough and the babe twined his small fingers around one of Thranduil's braids. Thranduil looked sternly at the small elf in his arms, who merely looked back with eyes that already seemed to be as full of mischief as Legolas' always had been. Then he laughed softly as Neridwen gently disentangled tiny fingers from golden threads of hair.

"I am sorry, Adar," she said apologetically. "He does that to Legolas all the time."

"No need to apologise, I am pleased to see that a family tradition continues," Thranduil said light-heartedly as he allowed his son to pull his hair back out of danger. "Legolas often did the same thing when he was a babe, but only to me, much to his naneth's amusement. I see no reason why he should not suffer the same fate at the hands of his own son."

"Speaking of Naneth, she wished to await you elsewhere," said Legolas, hoping Thranduil would not be too disappointed by her absence.

"I know. I did not expect to see her here. I saw her waiting for me on the cliff above," he said indicating the stony heights to above the bay. "I will take my leave for now, for I have kept her waiting long enough," he said as handed Estellan back to Neridwen.

"Shall I show you the way?" Legolas asked.

"That will not be necessary, my heart will lead me to her," Thranduil said with a smile that spoke of his love for his wife. Legolas looked dubious until he saw that despite never having been to Valinor, Thranduil was headed directly for the path that lead to the cliffs where Elisiel was waiting.

*******

Elisiel felt as nervous as she had on her wedding day as she waited impatiently for Thranduil to come to her. She was still gazing out to sea, the peacefulness of the sound of the waves doing little to still her wildly beating heart. This time when the strong arms encircled her waist from behind, she did not start with surprise, for there was no mistaking them as the arms that had always held her as only a lover can. She did not even turn around immediately, but melted back against the warmth of his chest so that she could feel his heart as it beat in rapid unison with hers.

"I love you," whispered Thranduil into her ear, making sure his soft breath caressed the sensitive tip as he once often did as a prelude to lovemaking. Elisiel turned then, and reached up to gently trace the features of her beloved's face, following her fingers with gentle kisses and signalling to Thranduil that her need was as great as his.

"I love you," she whispered as she broke free from his embrace and lead him by the hand to a secluded spot amongst the trees that grew almost to the edge of the cliff.

Thranduil raised an enquiring eyebrow at the blanket and pillows that she had already spread out for their use.

"Do you seek to tempt me, Lady," he whispered, his eyes darkening with desire as he drew her back into his arms.

"No, I intend to show you exactly how much I missed you, my woodland King," she said, the seductiveness in her voice sending chills of pleasure down his spine. "Unless you would prefer that we simply sit here and discuss family news and your last days in Middle-earth instead?" she teased.

"We can do that later," he said, seizing her lips in a deeply passionate kiss. "We are no longer separated by distant shores, and I wish us to be as close as is intimately possible," he said, signs of his arousal becoming very obvious.

"Then stop talking and love me," she whispered, tracing his ear with her tongue.

Their loving was filled with the same passion and intensity as it had been the first time they bonded and at the height of their ecstasy, their songs, for so long just faintly linked melodies, burst forth and joined in joyous harmony once more.

"You must have missed me a great deal," observed Thranduil as they lay together in the languid aftermath of their passionate reunion. "Perhaps I should now show you how much I have missed you?"

"Mmmm. Please do!"





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List